Remove Advertisements

What Consumables to Use While Tanking [severely outdated]

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Flipthebird » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Quick question...

Does the +650 health consumable mean that if I have 20,000 hp before I take it, I'll have 20,650 hp after? Or is there some calculation that I'm missing?
Flipthebird

Postby majiben » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:17 pm

That's all there is to it.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Fetzie » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:31 pm

You might want to add http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42779 (Steaming Chicken Soup) for the cost conscious 5 man heroic tank who could do with a bit more health (my situation the last couple of weeks. At 1g60 for 5 (6g40 per stack) it is very cheap, although the secondary stat isnt exactly wonderful.

Stats are 25 Stam/25 spirit for 30 minutes
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby majiben » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:08 am

Will add it to the better than nothing list!
majiben

Postby majiben » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:23 am

Flask of stoneblood is being buffed on the PTR to 750 hp up from 650 hp. This finally gets it's iLvL above the TBC flask but not by much.

Will amend the guide once 3.1 is live.
majiben

Postby Inapropriate » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 pm

Is there a reason you don't rate the Flask of Chromatic Wonder at all?

I find it esp useful for spell damage intensive encounters, but a handy flask for most situations as well. It's now quite cheap and easy to make assuming you have a alchemist as no-one much harvests the old mats now.

Typically I run the Gurus/Protection elixir double, but I still find the flask a viable, occasionally better, option at times.

Cheers
Inapropriate

Postby Rummy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:33 pm

sorry if this has been posted before ive just flicked through and havent read the entire thread

when i was farming my own herbs ive been using the +650 hp flask.
now i have to buy my mats and we've got alot of content on farm (alot less deaths) I'm going to switch to the +350 health (+20hp5) elixir and the guru's elixir (+20 stats).

These seem to be the best value for money buying the mats off the AH (I'm still alc specced, but dropped herb for jc) id consider the +40 str but guru mats are ridiculously cheap atm

can anyone suggest better elixirs for an alc specced tank (make my own for the bonus)

thanks
Rummy

Postby Zoltar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:33 pm

Majiben wrote:Flask of stoneblood is being buffed on the PTR to 750 hp up from 650 hp. This finally gets it's iLvL above the TBC flask but not by much.

100HP extra, how underwhelming. Barely a drop in the ocean when you are 40K raid buffed.

I'll stick with my combo of Guru's elixir & elixir of protection I think.
Zoltar

Postby majiben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:46 pm

Inapropriate wrote:Is there a reason you don't rate the Flask of Chromatic Wonder at all?
I missed it when I did my wowhead search due to it having an unusual lvl requirement compared to other flasks. I will be adding it soon.

@Rummy

I heavily suggest using any guardian elixir but +350 hp due to it's very low ilvl. If you want EH recommend an armor elixir and if you want something else I recommend the defense elixir. I can understanding using the hp elixir should you find them to be incredibly inexpensive.

As for farm content elixirs I can think of nothing cheaper or better than +50 str. I'm surprised that +20 stats is actually cheaper on your server. Usually pygmy oil and fish are quite expensive.
majiben

Postby Rummy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Majiben wrote: I'm surprised that +20 stats is actually cheaper on your server. Usually pygmy oil and fish are quite expensive.

ty for the feedback i'll re-check ah for mat price of others

1g for a stack of 20 pygmy-fish (i forgot what they're called) atm.
since they changed the droprate of the fish in the last patch they are insanely cheap
Rummy

Postby majiben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Rummy wrote:1g for a stack of 20 pygmy-fish (i forgot what they're called) atm.
since they changed the droprate of the fish in the last patch they are insanely cheap
That would explain it. I haven't been able fish much since the last patch and didn't know their prices had dropped. That's good news for me as I have a strong liking for guru elixirs.
majiben

Postby Varmin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Yeah, they really increased the drop rate of the fish. They are so cheap, I've started using them like deviate fish while tanking, lol.

But as you said, it makes guru elixirs really easy to restock, and atleast until 3.1 hits live almost retarded not to use elixirs frequently over a flask.
Varmin

Postby Lieris » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:27 pm

I remember being leant a Stoneblood flask on my first raid and thinking "oh, this must be the cheap tank flask for farm content". :P

During TBC I used to carry around two different flasks, nightmare seeds, ironshields, wizard oils, crawdads, health/mana pots etc. but in WOTLK so far I don't see the point in using anything more than a food buff (3 drakes aside). 650 HP is laughable and not worth the expenditure for most people.

Health pools in Wrath have more than doubled yet consumables have not scaled with that. I kinda welcome that though, farming for raid consumables was never any fun and the variety of viable tank foods is great to see. Tanks used to have really crippling raiding costs but now we're arguably the cheapest role to maintain with cheap gems and enchants to boot. :)
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Re: What Consumables to Use While Tanking

Postby majiben » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:13 pm

Updated for 3.1
majiben

Re: What Consumables to Use While Tanking

Postby theckhd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:53 am

Based on the most recent calculation, I think Snapper Extreme should probably be bumped up to "Best of the Best", while Mega Mammoth Meal and Poached Northern Sculpin should move down to "Costs a bit much for the benifit."

Snapper Extreme is better than a Fish Feast for DPS/TPS as long as you're below the hit cap. The 80 AP foods are less than half as effective as Dragonfin Fillet, though Sculpin may be cheaper to obtain now that you can fish it in WG. Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak is better than the AP foods, but requires two pieces of meat just like Mega Mammoth Meal, making both of those slightly more expensive.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents