What Consumables to Use While Tanking [severely outdated]

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby majiben » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:14 am

I never used nightmare seeds because first off, I over geared all the raid content I tanked in TBC (go go badge gear) and even as a herbalist I only encountered 5 nightmare seeds in all of TBC.

With the time it takes to get the seeds I would advise against getting new ones but if you have a stock of them already they are still useful.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby theothersteve7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:20 pm

New food as of 3.0.8!!!

Fish Feast
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43015

Inferior to Dragonfin. However, if you're out of food it's quite acceptable and the second best food available. The stamina and stats here are on par with top tier raiding food. It costs 4 Northern Spices to make, and so will probably be mostly limited to raiding.

This requires Cooking 450 to make, being the first food to do so. It is trainable for 5 Cooking Awards. The ultimate dish, as it were.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:54 pm

Been in the list from the start listed as a group platter.
majiben

Postby theothersteve7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:00 pm

Oops, I should have noticed. Good catch. Well, apparently it's going to be patched into the game now; they missed it on release.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:39 am

Yeah, IIRC there were four missing recipes - two are being added with the patch, two are being removed entirely.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

scrolls

Postby alexhawz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:19 am

Do any of you use scrolls? like protection, str, stam...
i've occasionally used spirit for the heck of it to keep mana regen up,but thats kinda noobish on my part i'm guessing. i dont use them often, and i havent raided much (mostly kara, and a few BC heroics). the stam would be useful if you dont get a priest, or int for mage replacement.
alexhawz
80 draenei prot/heal
reforged of cenarius (us)
alexhawz

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:47 am

Well as you may or may not know, scrolls no longer stack with class based buffs and are overwritten by those class buffs. The strongest scroll buffs for us are Stamina, Armor, Str, and Agility. We bring our own armor buff so that scroll is out. Either DKs or shamans bring both Str and Agility buffs. The Stamina buff from the scroll pales in comparision to a priest's buff but may be viable if you are desperate for a HP boost and missing a priest.

In 5 mans I can't see myself paying several gold per scroll for something not needed for progression. In 25 mans you will likely have all those buffs already in better quality and for free. In 10 mans you might encounter a few missing buffs and that's where the scrolls could come into play. I personally wouldn't bother with either the STR or Agility scrolls but might use an Stam should I be without a priest.

I might consider adding them to list if more people feel they should be included.
majiben

Postby Kelarik » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:11 am

I don't use consumables in 5-man, but in Raids I pop out a Great Feast. AP, SP, and Stam in 1 food buff, all good ^_^
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Arizara » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:51 am

id say that the spell power flask is equally as viable for naxx as endless rage, and much easier to come by... you take a HotR hit, but a huge buff to holy wrath. the hp flask makes me want to cry how much a non-upgrade it is.
Arizara

Postby majiben » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:15 am

Arizara wrote:id say that the spell power flask is equally as viable for naxx as endless rage, and much easier to come by... you take a HotR hit, but a huge buff to holy wrath. the hp flask makes me want to cry how much a non-upgrade it is.
Going out and buying a spell power elixir or flask is never the right move in this era. The +50 str elixir is worth more threat than the flask of the frostwrym.
majiben

Postby theothersteve7 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 am

This may not be useful, but apparently the Runes from Blacksmithing still work. Having recently leveled BS through Outland I acquired a small pile of them.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23576

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25521

Not a big buff, but something that stacks with everything else.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Gabrion » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:11 pm

I don't fully understand why Rhinolicious Wormsteak isn't on the top of fine dining. I was under the impression that expertise is really good for us...bosses parrying is bad right?
Last edited by Gabrion on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabrion

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Gabrion wrote:I don't fully understand while Rhinolicious Wormsteak isn't on the top of fine dining. I was under the impression that expertise is really good for us...bosses parrying is bad right?

Well expertise doesn't effect a lot of our attacks, and while parrying might cause an increase in haste for the boss, overall it's a pretty small concern.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Dokidoki » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:11 pm

Thank you majiben, this was very helpful :)
Dokidoki

Postby theothersteve7 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:01 am

Expertise isn't bad, it's just inferior to Strength, Hit, Attack Power, and a lot of other things. It's a good statistic but we have a lot of awesome statistics.
Moo.
theothersteve7

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents