New to Tanking - talent question

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

New to Tanking - talent question

Postby Nagoyah » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:18 am

Hi all,

After playing DPS classes for 3 years I thought I would try my hand at tanking and as such I have picked a BE Pala, hoping that people could be kind enough to pass on any talent tree advice for me as I'm sort of guessing what I should be getting each level.

Here is a link to my armory page:

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... &n=Nagoyah

Leveling has been surprisingly easy as full prot but then I do level with my gf and her BE Holy Priest (same level as me).

Many thanks in advance from a relocated anglo-irish chap ^^
Tribute to late George Carlin
"I would like to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming like the rest of the people in the car."
Nagoyah

Postby Prope » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:51 am

Hi there

It looks OK by me, at least for leveling.

Things to consider might be:

Kings -> not that important while leveling, you'll be using sanc. most/all of the time.

Guardian's Favor -> not worth it imo, doesn't add much/anything to your tanking ability.

Reckoning -> not as good as it used to be. It depends on how you find your own surviability, and what seals you are using, but it might not be worth it.

This could free up some points that you can use on the remaining talents you have started to put points in.

I have only mentioned the talents where you might change around a bit, as it looks like you got the over all idea.

Be aware though that Shield of the templar, only becomes really good at lvl 75 where you get Shield of Righteousness, until then it might also be worth skipping.
Prope

Postby Nagoyah » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:29 am

Thanks for the response Prope :)
Tribute to late George Carlin
"I would like to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in my sleep. Not screaming like the rest of the people in the car."
Nagoyah

Postby econ21 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 am

There's a sub-forum for talents that this thread should really be in.

For level 70-80, there seems to be a "cookie cutter" standard build that most tankadin's follow. For levelling at 50, it may not be so important, but it's as well to be aware.

Kings is optional and sucks up a lot of points, but I personally take it and use it a lot (on others - sad face).

You probably want to max out divine strength as damage is good for levelling and strength is our primary damage stat (after weapon dps).

You don't need Guardian's favour.

Reckoning may be ok for levelling, but sooner or later will go. Likewise, sooner or later, as a main tank, you'll want to max out ardent defender and redoubt.

Given where you are in the tree though, I would make a beeline for hammer of righteousness. All the talents just short of it are good (shield of templar has now got 1-3% damage resist) although perhaps touched by the light might be the best for levelling (more SP=more damage).
econ21

Return to Basic Training & Talents