3.0 Frequently *Answered* Questions - Tankadin basics.

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:51 pm

Knaughty wrote:
Drobent wrote:I would be nice to do an index with the abbreviations used, I think.

Specially for that begin in this international forums (like me) and our mother language is not the English.
There already is one somewhere here, think it's a sticky - I'll add a link when I find it.
2 stickies down :-D Glossary
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Spotnick » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Knaughty wrote:
Spotnick wrote:Maybe it's just me, but to put 2 points in divine guardian scares me a little.

I know this is situational, and that i will probably use divine shield only when a boss will enrage or like in MgT when Kael was spamming a pyroblast, but 30% of the melee damage to myself, isn't that looking for trouble?

Re-read the FAQ. :)

You take no damage.

The two points in DG are "Raid damage reduced by 30% for 12 seconds" - this can be very powerful.

Not "30% of raid damage gibs pally".

Yes, I did read that i wouldnt die from it... but then i also noticed it's from the bubble, not from the shield wall.

So basically, you bubble yourself and absorb 30% of the damage, but you lose all your aggro, so unless it's a fight without aggro table, I don't see much of a use.
Spotnick

Postby knaughty » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Spotnick wrote:So basically, you bubble yourself and absorb 30% of the damage, but you lose all your aggro, so unless it's a fight without aggro table, I don't see much of a use.

In a 25-man, you almost certainly won't be tanking 100% of the time, unless you're being silly or have a weak tanking team. Some tanking tasks simply suit other classes better, use them. We use our bear to tank things all the time. Other times tanking roles trade/switch mid-fight - when you're not tanking, you can bubble and absorb damage.

It's a neat gimmick. Nothing that will win/fail a fight for you, but it can be useful.

And where else would you put the points?
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Arcand » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Knaughty wrote:It's a neat gimmick. Nothing that will win/fail a fight for you, but it can be useful.

Considering how many times we were doing great on Magtheridon until the roof collapsed...it might just win a fight for you.
Arcand

Postby knaughty » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Arcand wrote:
Knaughty wrote:It's a neat gimmick. Nothing that will win/fail a fight for you, but it can be useful.

Considering how many times we were doing great on Magtheridon until the roof collapsed...it might just win a fight for you.

Haven't found an exact equivalent in Wrath yet - but a great example.

You're off tanking adds, adds die, leet protDPS, bubble the collapse.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:19 am

Malygos is the best use I've found for it thus far. I MT'd our progression kill, but hitting bubblewall if DPS is dumb enough to let a spark hit Malygos would save lives, if you were OTing. Bubblewall a vortex if the healers are struggling can save an attempt (I didn't end up doing it on our kill). Bubblewall at some point during P2, just because you can, once your add is dead (my two died first, then I bubbled to help everyone else out, on our kill) Gamebreaking? No. Helpful? Definitely. Worth the two points.

--
Meloree of Garona
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby arilink » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:27 pm

Q: My stats in "Defenses" in Character Info show "(Before diminishing returns)" in their tooltips.
Does this mean the new (3.0.3) diminishing returns on miss, dodge and parry aren't showing up or does it just indicate the diminishing avoidance due to the difference in level between the mob and me?

In addition speccing -30% duration of fear, disorient and stun is an option.
That would be a 7/58/6 and most likely w/o kings.
While the Holy part would be personal favor, I think the change from 30% chance of stun-resist to 30% stun-duration was a major upgrade.
arilink

Postby knaughty » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:34 pm

arilink wrote:In addition speccing -30% duration of fear, disorient and stun is an option.

Bosses that fear are easily dealt with via Fear Ward, PvP Trinket or simply tanking it while running away.

Bosses that stun are balanced around a stunned tank tanking them

A disorient is still going to put the boss onto the OT, so you still need an OT. Swapping back a few seconds earlier doesn't change anything.

The fear/stud/disorient would have to be 7 seconds for the talent to even reduce the number of his by 1.

30% reduction is a rare mechanic is not worth the talent points. Raiding is simply not so fast paced that this is an issue.

PvP talent is for PvP.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby knaughty » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Best AD data point EVAR!

Did Sapphiron-25 last night, with me badly undergeared to tank it.

One-shot.

AD saved me four times in one fight, and mitigated over 2% of damage taken.

AD rocks for hard content.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby moonsond » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Hello everyone.

Of course, I'm aware that enchants give me def rating mostly, but i was generally curious about what stat i had to socket to get block capped. After reading def vs. dodge thread i got that the best option is to balance my def and dodge ratings.
So is it correct to say that every tankadin should tend to stack defense and dodge ratings in a balanced manner to get block capped after reaching uncrit cap?
For example this is my armory, i'm a bit low on dodge i guess(i'd be glad for any comments on my build etc :P)
Second q. probably shouldn't be here. Are the req.s for tanking Sartharion or Malygos(normal mode at least) way higher than for tanking Naxx? i have a sense that i should farm naxxramas well before attempting doing other raids right now, at my current level of gear - because now i got ~86% avoidance with HS and tanking feels not so comfortable especially comparing to avoidance i had by the end of TBC.
And....is it beter to keep farming HCs or i can get better upgrades with less effort from nax? for example i'm going to farm AN hc for a stam trinket anyway but i do want to return to raiding as soon as possible :)

Thanks in advance for any answers)
moonsond

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:47 pm

Defense is strictly better than dodge for reaching the block cap. The work show in the def v dodge thread is for avoidance only. While we're on the subject, block chance is not considered avoidance, nor mitigation. It is something inbetween and shouldn't be called avoidance.

Given the choice between dodge and defense always pick defense until you reach the block cap. For instance, +16 dodge will lose to +8 dodge and defense when trying to reach the block cap. Defense is 25-33% better than dodge for reaching the block cap.

As to our second question, Sartharion is pretty easy if you kill the drakes before the boss and hellish if you do it with the drakes up. Can't comment on Malygos.
Last edited by majiben on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Malygos hits noticeably harder than Sapphiron in both 10 & 25.

I tanked both this week, after two full Naxx-25 clears, for Malygos I was running at 36k health with double stam trinkets (well, more like 33 in 10-man, was missing some buffs). 10-man was doable with 2 healers, 25 had... 7? Difficulty was not phase one tanking checks (though your healers do have to be paying attention, and druids/priests are OP for 10-man). The encounter is a DPS race and individual responsibility check, with stuff to learn in each phase.

In 25, if he gets the buff, his breath will one-shot you even with 36k health - hit me for 38k one time. Real answers in raid advice forums, go there.
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:59 pm

nm, figured it out. :)
Fedaykin98

Postby moonsond » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Ty.

One more thing i have a q about is http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41101

Do you like it\use it? I have been really admiring 6-7k AS crits for all the time since i got this glyph, it rocks @ solo farming\when you need a good starting burst of aggro\need an accurate pull when other pack of mobs is nearby. But yesterday i got to off-tank Sartharion adds with no drakes up, and it... was hard to catch all of them quick enough. Adds are spawning pretty often and usually pretty far away from previous spawn spot, and it feels like 3-target AS would really help me to handle the aggro on them.

The question is - is it pretty often in current raid content that un-glyphed AS is better than glyphed?
moonsond

Postby xstrykr » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:42 pm

moonsond wrote:Ty.

One more thing i have a q about is http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41101

Do you like it\use it? I have been really admiring 6-7k AS crits for all the time since i got this glyph, it rocks @ solo farming\when you need a good starting burst of aggro\need an accurate pull when other pack of mobs is nearby. But yesterday i got to off-tank Sartharion adds with no drakes up, and it... was hard to catch all of them quick enough. Adds are spawning pretty often and usually pretty far away from previous spawn spot, and it feels like 3-target AS would really help me to handle the aggro on them.

The question is - is it pretty often in current raid content that un-glyphed AS is better than glyphed?

From OP:
Q: What Glyphs?
A: At 70: Righteous Defence and Judgement. Minor Inscriptions are Minor (except Sense Undead)
A: At 80: Righteous Defence and SoV to start. Third one: Avenger's shield is more threat than Judgment if you don't mind single target AS.

If you like having the Glyph of AS, keep it, otherwise use Glyph of Judgment. It's your own call, really. There are fights that I'd prefer to have it, but as I generally only am MT'ing about half of the raid bosses right now, it's not that big a deal to me.

If you're spending significantly more time as an add tank - i.e. your RL doesn't allow you to tank any of the bosses other than "when necessary" - then it might benefit you more to have it un-glyphed than glyphed. If you are the main tank for every single encounter, then I'd keep it glyphed.
xstrykr

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents