Remove Advertisements

quick question (well not really just hoping you'l read this)

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

quick question (well not really just hoping you'l read this)

Postby Reynastus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm

firstly ... couldn'g get the second l in the you'll.

Secondly my guild is fairly slow off the mark and it looks as tho we are just about to start doing kara (i know its a slow progression). I leveled my paly holy and was going to stay that way but got bored so changed to prot for fun, that and theres plenty of holy palys on my server (in fact finding a prot paly is a challenge on horde side).

I'm getting the hang of being Tankadin and from the reading ive done getting to 490 def has been my primary goal, which i achieved not too long ago, my question is

How the hell to i get uncrushable from here, I know that my spec needs some work (5 in parry in the ret tree for starters, and a bit more health as well as im about 1k short of raid wantings- quite pitiful really)

any help would be appreciated and see my armory for more stats.

Thanks mucho in advance

Reynastus
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:16 pm

There's a nice sticky in the gear forum that has all sorts of potential upgrades listed in order of the amount of uncrushability you get from them, I'd suggest looking it over and aiming for those.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Reynastus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Thanks lore

From what ive seen most of the gear ive got is reasonable compaired to the list thats up on this forum (i was surprised at how close to the mark i was) however, Ive got a great deal of gems invested in the +def to get the 490 def mark, now as to where to go to increase the total avoidance is my next question.

also let me see if i get this right

avoidance = miss+dodge+parry+block+30(holy shield)

also call me total noob (cus i am) but how do i figure out my miss rating, (my interpretation from what ive read here is chance to hit +5, but that really doesnt make sense to me as thats the chance i have of hitting the mob not them hitting me)

i suppose that if i get these numbers a bit straighter in my head then i wont be quite so annoying in future.

Thanks in advance

Rey
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby ari » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 pm

if im not mistaken:

miss = 5% (mobs base miss rate) + your miss from defense (typically around 5-6%; mouse over your defense)

so your miss at 490 def should be around 11%

remember you only need uncrushable for bosses, for all the trash you can load up on a bit more stamina and spell dmg if possible.
ari

Postby Reynastus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:44 pm

if thats right than thanks heaps ... makes much more sence now ... as for being uncrushable im kinda the main tank so would be best.

in real terms this means that my total avoidance is 55.39% (being, (5+5.6 miss)+13.99 (Dodge)+11.83(parry)+18.97(block)) and on top of that with holy shield active thats like 80ish % total avoidance is that right?

Since reading this forum a little more I've decided to change quite a few gems and stuff in my gear, also need to work on getting the rest of that damn aldor rep (grr).

I can make up a bit of the spell power with some enchants on the rings and would help to free up about 2 or 3 gem spots that i can stick a couple of +12 stam gems into, also going to change helm from Oathkeepers to felsteel as the felsteel is a better option for me (with +24 stam and + 8 agi gem instead of the current oathkeepers i have).

Figuring i should stick a dodge enchant on my cloak as well, as for chest was kinda tossing between exceptional stats or +150 health (i was leaning toward the +6 stats for better agi as well as a little extra health).

Respec to include the better parry. should be a vast improvement in the tankadin i see before me

how does all that sound?

hope im on the right track (but since im the only paladin above 60 in my guild im bashing ideas around here as opposed to /gchat cus it just wouldnt cut it there)

Thanks again

Rey
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:45 pm

Yep, your miss rate is 5% + defense tooltip miss
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Reynastus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:51 am

so would i be ready to tank kara?

if not where should i go to get more stam (seems to be the major issue im having atm is that i seem to have reasonably good gear and aside from 4 extra stam on boots im not sure what i can improve to hit that 10.5k hps that i so wanna get a hold of.)

Any assistance is very very appreciated.

Thanks

Rey
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby ulushnar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:08 am

A few things that'll boost your stamina:

Replace most of your gems with Solid Stars of Elune. You lose a few inconsequential socket bonuses and gain a metric crapload of stamina.

Get a +30Sta/+10Agility armor patch on your leggings.

Get an +8 Stamina patch on your Gloves.

Get the +150 Health on your chest.

In raids, you'll be recieving constant, large amounts of damage. Your ability to take that kind of damage and stay alive long enough to be healed rests with getting as much Stamina as possible.

As a Tankadin with aspirations of raiding, your first goal is to get uncrushable. Once you've got that done, then your next goal is to stack as much Stamina in there as possible.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Base » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:30 am

The other thing I'd suggest is get the aldor ench (Inscription of warding?) for your shoulders and get spell damage on the sword. Plus try and get the Darkmoon vengence card for +51 sta (although this will mean making up the lost defence from the trinket slot).

Also you don't need to be uncrushable for the first few bosses of Kara (although it helps). As long as your healers are reasonable you should be able to tank them - but it will put a strain on the healers.
Base

Postby Reynastus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:33 am

thanks heaps for the tips, i suppose my major problem is that if i start replacing my +def gems with stam i'll lose the rating and be once again crittable.

its a conundrum and i'm kinda annoyed cus it seems like ive got reasonably good gear (changed boots to give a little more stam as well) so im trying to increase my stam without sacrificing any of the def points as well. I worked hard to get em. I wanna keep em.

Thanks

Rey
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby adese » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:45 am

While this might not help now, once you start getting better gear, the Defense just comes naturally - really you don't have to work on it after a bit.

I can't check your armory atm, but also don't forget about the Libram that you can buy with 15 Badges of Justice. It gives an extra 5.33% block when Holy Shield is up, that goes a long way to helping with uncrushable.

I'll also second the notion that as long as you have decent healers, you don't need to be uncrushable for the first few bosses in Kara. Definitely work towards uncrushable, but being crushable doesn't make the bosses there impossible (at least the first few).
adese

Postby Reynastus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:52 am

thanks heaps for the help guys,

the elune gems are about 75g on my server atm and managed to get a few of em, 9.5k health now so its getting there. i'll replace the others that wont make too much difference to my def stat so that it stays at the 490 mark, was also trying to up my agi a bit as it has increased my armor as well as dodge and parry rating (obvious to u im sure but to me it was interesting).

oh and that lovely ring thats at the end of the SMV questline, cant remember what it is but i'll be getting it as well.

Thanks heaps for the help and if ur interested i'll keep u posted

if not then :P

Rey
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:44 am

You need more health, you could tank Karazhan, but not very far.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Reynastus » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:18 pm

how about the heroics?

havent tanked any of them as of yet (was always told u need to be geared as well for them as for kara so avoided them), theres a few gear upgrades in them that i can see as well

thanks for the help

Rey
Click the pic
Reynastus

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Reynastus wrote:how about the heroics?

havent tanked any of them as of yet (was always told u need to be geared as well for them as for kara so avoided them), theres a few gear upgrades in them that i can see as well

thanks for the help

Rey

You could do Heroics, try Heroic Slave Pens it is a good mix of mobs that will break you in real nice.

You really want about 10k health unbuffed, and about 12-13k armor and you should be set.

You also want decent healer.

There is tons of burst damage in Heroics.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents