Help with strategy on shooters

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Help with strategy on shooters

Postby berandor » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:48 pm

I am fairly new to tanking and was running a PUG through Caverns of Time doing the Escape from Durnholde where you help Thrall find his girlfriend in Tauren Mill.

The fight in TM turns into a bunch of people who turn into dragon kin and start coming in waves.

The problem I had (or at least the problem that I didn't have much of an answer for) was that some of the dragon kin were turning into shooters on the edge of the battle, but my healer and mage were in the middle of town and I couldn't get out to the shooter to drag it back into the fray.

The problem that I couldn't really control was that I was in a pug and the two rogues were not particularly communicative. My thought was to get them to drag the shooters back to me but that was beyond my ability to communicate to them as we were in battle and I don't have a lot of type time available as I am constantly switching from one emergency to another.

Was there a better way for me to handle this?
berandor

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:51 pm

Ranged mobs can be difficult for any tank, I usually hit them first then scoop up the rest of the melee mobs and coral them back to the ranged mob. If they are a caster and you have a mage/hunter/shaman, have them do a spell interrupt and that should help immensely.

You can also do the same if you are a Blood Elf.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby jere » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:03 pm

Actually on those pulls I have a rogue or some other person tank the defilers (The ones that range attack). The slayers and executioners will run too you.

This kills 2 birds with one stone:
1. defilers don't put that nasty debuff on you
2. You don't have to worry about getting them in range as you can let it stay at range.
jere

Postby Daedallus » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:35 pm

Those casters need to die first anyway, and since its magic dmg they are doing for the most part, having high AC and avoidance doesn't really help at all. just tell your dps to kill them first when they spawn, while you gather up the melees. a good rogue can have the caster down to 30% during his initial stun.

you can usually get agro on the melees and then throw a taunt or a stun at the caster to get it back on you. and your healer just needs to be good enough to throw a renew or something on the dps that takes dmg for the few seconds it takes to burn down that caster.

another way to handle is to stand on your ranged dps with a consecrate going, and AS the caster as soon as they appear. the melee will walk onto your consecrate, and threat from the AS will keep agro on the ranged long enough for everything else to come under control.

other ways to handle it have the mage counterspell them and bring them over. or have a hunter silenceing shot them, or have a druid sleep them until the melee are dead, or... perhaps have them feared for the same thing.

i guess what i'm saying is that its not 100% your job to control everything :) dozens of different ways to control the situation, people just need to be on the ball.
Daedallus

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Those shooters usually don't need to be tanked; they SHOULD be the first things the party kills, however.

You can toss your shield at them, grab the other two gits, and by the time you look up again from those two, the ranged mob should be dead.

At least if DPS is on the ball, anyway.

At least in normal mode.

If you do need to pull aggro, grab the 2 melee then train them onto caster and consecrate. Same drill as usual, if you can't mess around with LOS ... which is hard to do since Thrall doesn't pay any goddamn attention.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Thrall can tank one of the adds pretty easily.

Unless they changed that it has been a LONG time since I did that instance.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby pyrotechniq » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:37 am

Sometimes you ca use LOS to pull them into you concecration as well.
pyrotechniq

Postby Belldandi » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:48 am

Team work, Mages, S.Priest, and some Hunters should silence/counterspell the range casters, while you work on the melee, than you can pick them up when they are with in range. For range shooter/hunter type, run inside their range dead zone and slowly back up. Also learn where all the LOS spots are at in every map. Even the smallest wall poking out in a strait hallway can pull all those pesky range mobs into face wacking range ^^ you know the old saying "Knowledge is power."
Belldandi

Postby cdan » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:31 am

For Normal just grab the melee types and take them over to the mage. Don't have to tank in the middle of town. The main thing is to let your group know you will be walking targets around. Dps-ers usually have the average brain power of a lump of moss so being explicit about how you want them to do things always helps stop the panic that the Thrall quest can engender sometimes.
cdan

Postby neokai » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:39 am

I adopt a different approach. =/

I just run to the 3 mobs (they spawn together) and hit rank 8 consecrate. I then proceed to bash in said caster's brains in with my hammer. If really need the threat, i throw my shield first and then engage in close quarters. =/

Berzerking pally ftw.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Return to Basic Training & Talents