Remove Advertisements

Possible to get uncrittable at 64?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Possible to get uncrittable at 64?

Postby cyndeace » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi, I'm just wondering if it is possible to be uncrittable at 64, for tanking places like UB, SP, MT?

Right now at level 63, I am sitting at around 9500armor, 6800ish health unbuffed, and about 400 defense. When I do an instance I use potions and wizard oil to hit about 160ish spell damage. Are these starts decent for a 63, or is there a stat I should be looking for?

edit oops, I guess I am at 7400ish health unbuffed. I currently have my tanking sword equipped.
cyndeace

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Yeah it is possible.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Igrado » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:13 pm

Vanifae wrote:Yeah it is possible.

Once again Vanifae sweeps by and drops a gem of wisdom upon us all!

<3

(to the OP, yes it is. It would only require a certain amount of defense, depending on the mobs (and obviously your) level. Unfortunately I do not know the exact equation, but I'm sure by this time tomorrow someone here can have it for you.)
Igrado
Maintankadonor

Postby Vanifae » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:34 pm

Just stack a shitload of defense, although at your level it really isn't a big deal.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Lore » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:01 pm

You just need to have 5% -crit, plus another 0.2% per each level that a given mob is over you. You can find out how much -crit you have by hovering over Defense on your character sheet.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Daedallus » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:40 am

probably not a good idea to work to hard on uncritable at that level yet. doesn't take very long to reach 70, and if your spending a pile of time and perhaps making bad gear decisions from quests, its just not worth it.

My advice is to pick the best pieces you can find with a good mix of sta/ac/avoidance/defense, and not worry about it too much. UB, SP, and MT you'll only run a few times and none of the mobs in there, except perhaps the giants in UB are going to crit you hard enough that a decent healer can't bring you back.

my other piece of advise is that if the mob can crush you, level and come back when it can't. putting that kind of strain on your healers isn't worth the trouble.
Daedallus

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:41 am

Daedallus wrote:probably not a good idea to work to hard on uncritable at that level yet. doesn't take very long to reach 70, and if your spending a pile of time and perhaps making bad gear decisions from quests, its just not worth it.

My advice is to pick the best pieces you can find with a good mix of sta/ac/avoidance/defense, and not worry about it too much. UB, SP, and MT you'll only run a few times and none of the mobs in there, except perhaps the giants in UB are going to crit you hard enough that a decent healer can't bring you back.

my other piece of advise is that if the mob can crush you, level and come back when it can't. putting that kind of strain on your healers isn't worth the trouble.

I concur with this statement, don't sweat the crits.
Vanifae

Postby Thels » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:25 pm

As said above, don't sweat it and just eat the crits. Should be ok.

To be crit immune, just check the level of the mobs, multiply that by 5, and add 125. That's the amount of Defense Skill (not rating!) that you'll need to be crit immune.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby cyndeace » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Well, to be honest, there seems to be quite a bit of "pallies can't tank" on my server. I'm just trying to do the best I can and at that same time try to change some poeples opinions. I figure becoming uncrittable at 64 would make it easier at 70, also make it easier on my healers, which may help influence some peoples opinions.

Although, the other night I was tanking in slave pens when the rogue went to sap and got seen. I grabbed agro off the three mobs, and all of a sudden a pat came. I grabbed agro on all of them hoping to stay alive long enough to allow the shaman to get out of range. He was already out of combat. Along with the healers help, my trinkets, I was able to tank all 6. The rogue assisted me and we killed them. At about the 4th mob the rest of the group started going. It was quite thrilling. Of course, the next pull was 2 mobs and the rogue insisted on sapping one lol.
cyndeace

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:33 pm

cyndeace wrote:Well, to be honest, there seems to be quite a bit of "pallies can't tank" on my server. I'm just trying to do the best I can and at that same time try to change some poeples opinions. I figure becoming uncrittable at 64 would make it easier at 70, also make it easier on my healers, which may help influence some peoples opinions.

Although, the other night I was tanking in slave pens when the rogue went to sap and got seen. I grabbed agro off the three mobs, and all of a sudden a pat came. I grabbed agro on all of them hoping to stay alive long enough to allow the shaman to get out of range. He was already out of combat. Along with the healers help, my trinkets, I was able to tank all 6. The rogue assisted me and we killed them. At about the 4th mob the rest of the group started going. It was quite thrilling. Of course, the next pull was 2 mobs and the rogue insisted on sapping one lol.

The only way to ispel that is to tank.

Crits are for the most part invisible to your healers, most healers will just see spike damage.
Vanifae

Postby Everlight » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:58 pm

cyndeace wrote:I figure becoming uncrittable at 64 would make it easier at 70, also make it easier on my healers, which may help influence some peoples opinions.

It won't help because of the scaling of Defense rating as you level. You won't be wearing the same gear at 70 you did at 64.

Just wear straight "of the Champion" gear, keep it updated, and make sure you pick up the key quest rewards as you level.
Everlight

Return to Basic Training & Talents