Remove Advertisements

Need Advice on Tanking - Couple of Questions

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Postby Vanifae » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:47 am

Igrado wrote:now, having that aside, and realizing I've obviously not done this fight, I'd just look at it more basically. HS gives
)1( Block % (uncrushable)
)2( Threat on block

So it obviously doesn't make any sense to waste mana on it if you're not getting smacked. You put it up for one or both of the above reasons. I think if you're dieing and it's not up that that's just not smart. Once you see he's targeted you it should go up, IMO before anything else. What rank you choose to use is up to you and how you expect the fight/mana issue to go, that's not a question that I know enough to answer.

It just doesn't make sense to die b/c HS was not up unless you were OOM. I understand now that this fight is very tricky on the mana, but dieing isn't really a good result either :P

I think the above posters already said this.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Dragonzbane » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 am

neokai wrote:Question 3: Is avenger's shield based on melee hit or spell hit? What are the mechanics for avenger's shield? Its spell coefficient?

They asked DnT?
Why bother, they aren't exactly non-Holy Paladin experts now are they?

I am almost positive that AS works on the same mechanic as SoC, JoC and HoW. Melee, as it can miss, not be resisted and gets double damage on crits.
Dragonzbane

Postby Johnar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:29 am

I used to die a lot on Void Reaver.

Mostly this was because I would get crushed when I gained aggro and the healers werent ready for the switch either so the heals were late coming.

If you try to keep HS up the whole time youre gonna have mana problems.

Bring a lot of mana pots and Demonic Runes. I wear a lot of spell damage for this. I used to spam consecrate and drink a lot of pots. Now I have more spell damage so I dont consecrate unless I have a lot of mana or unless AW is up.

I use the Gavel of Unearthed Secrets and the spell damage shield from Nightbane and SoV for aggro.

I watch the threat meter closely and if I think I might get aggro I bring up rank 1 HS.

When I get aggro I use max rank HS and switch to the Suneater and the Crest of Shatar.

If you can manage to not use a mana pot then you can use a Stoneshield pot instead and this will reduce your damage.
Johnar

Postby neokai » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:28 pm

This post is for the VR fight.

Igrado wrote:now, having that aside, and realizing I've obviously not done this fight, I'd just look at it more basically. HS gives
)1( Block % (uncrushable)
)2( Threat on block

So it obviously doesn't make any sense to waste mana on it if you're not getting smacked. You put it up for one or both of the above reasons. I think if you're dieing and it's not up that that's just not smart. Once you see he's targeted you it should go up, IMO before anything else. What rank you choose to use is up to you and how you expect the fight/mana issue to go, that's not a question that I know enough to answer.

It just doesn't make sense to die b/c HS was not up unless you were OOM. I understand now that this fight is very tricky on the mana, but dieing isn't really a good result either :P

It's for the block % that i will put up hs for VR, at least till i am the maintarget, then i will switch to rank 4 (max) hs, the reasoning being that hs does not proc on aoe hits and i want to maintain uncrushability in the event that he switches over to me. I use KTM to monitor threat and frankly I have trouble trying to determine where i am on threat, that's how clueless i get reading that table. I mean, locks and mages have about 3-5x my threat on that table and they have not pulled aggro yet. =/

As for threat generation and mana conservation, my present gear is poor on spell damage, unless i start to sacrifice uncrushability. With the present gear set (I just got my furies deck v(^_^)v), i have a 1.47% crushability with 333 spell damage and 12.5k unbuffed hp OR 0% uncrushability with 333 spell damage and 12k unbuffed hp OR 0% uncrushability with 297 spell damage and 12.3k unbuffed hp. Adding oils and flask (42+60) i can get 399/435 spell damage.

Johnar: I will try to do that, going to add a new itemrack profile for OT threat generation. =)
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby neokai » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:32 pm

Dragonzbane wrote:
neokai wrote:Question 3: Is avenger's shield based on melee hit or spell hit? What are the mechanics for avenger's shield? Its spell coefficient?

They asked DnT?
Why bother, they aren't exactly non-Holy Paladin experts now are they?

I am almost positive that AS works on the same mechanic as SoC, JoC and HoW. Melee, as it can miss, not be resisted and gets double damage on crits.

That's quite true, but their forums are quite heavily frequented by people from all realms, so it's easier to get a 3rd/4th/5th opinion than say, my guild's forums. =/

I am leaning towards melee hit myself, but as I said, i cannot be sure and the screenshot at least shows a blizz rep stating very firmly that it's spell hit. I'm putting up a petition to ask my own GM.
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
My warcraftpets profile here

neokai

Postby dern » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 am

if its melee hit, I guess I'm glad I put that mongoose enchant on my blazefury after all, and maybe I could pick up that shield from Gruul.

Taunt, my understanding, is spell hit, the whole holy resistance thing confuses the hell out of me still. .. As does effect of weapon skill on various mobs and some other mechanics within the game.

I don't understand why this information is not provided freely by the game designers, where the hell is my Dungeon Master's Guide!! let's get Gary Gygax on this ;)
dern

Previous

Return to Basic Training & Talents