Remove Advertisements

Tanking 5mans

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Tanking 5mans

Postby cyndeace » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:40 am

Hi, currently I am level 61, and plan to start tanking ramparts, and as I level all the other 5mans. I am sitting at around 6k health, 3500mana, 8300armor(9052 with devo aura) amd 385 defense, the only thing a bit low, I believe, is my +spellpower, its at 91. Are these stats ok enough to start tanking in outlands?

The other question is my talent spec, it is currently

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

well, that is what it will be at 70. Right now if you take out the second tiers in holy and ret that is my spec. Are there any adjustments/fine tuning I should do? Thanks im advance.
cyndeace

Postby Dwarfskinner » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:34 am

Any points spent in holy tree are a waste...imho
Dwarfskinner

Postby Lore » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:57 am

Yeah holy's not really worthwhile unless you're going into it for healing purposes. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck out of 1h spec than imp SoR, and divine int is really not necessary.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Kayallah » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:43 am

I stated tanking Rampats with like 500 less health than you, 0 spell damage, and around 340 defense at level 60. :-p You'll be fine. hehe.

At 62 I was tanking UB just fine with this current setup. (Dinged right after a UB run last night yey!)
Kayallah

Postby Jaydin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:15 am

the under 70 instances arent too bad to tank if you have semi decent gear and the right spec - hell you can tank if you have decent gear and the wrong spec, but people just have to recognize that - just make sure your defense is maxed out for your level and you shouldnt have a problem
Jaydin

Postby rebelyell » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:55 pm

My experience has been hit and miss with tanking the 5mans up to lvl 66 where I am now.. I have a kit which boosts health past 9K unbuffed and gives about 60-70 spell power.. I've found sometimes its hard to get a half decent healer (ie someone spec'd in healing) to make the run go smoothly.. without that I've had all sorts of failures and stuff ups, and sometimes they work out alright also.

With a good healer who has played their spec for sometime the runs go smoothly and there are no issues.. good groups with people who have done runs with paly tanks works well.. heck I've done a run through ramps a while back with 2 paly tanks it has been the smoothest run I've ever done. Anything else and know where to draw the line on the wipes.. if I end up with a group who is rag tag and the healer isn't a serious heal spec and kit then I usually set the wipe limit at 4 for the run.. I make sure its communicated to the group and everyone is usually happy as the repair bill is just not worth the run otherwise in my mind.

They are good fun the quicker runs and really sometimes give you an eye opener to what people really think of paly tanking.. some people are gobsmacked at what you can hold agro on while the mages go berserk with their AoE and others will puposefully try to sabotage your run just to "prove" that paly tanks suck - there can be some real horror stories out there of sabotage.. I also found the instances sometimes required more planning or knowledge of the run to make them go smooth.. ie what to pull and when.. but its all experience and theres only one way to get that.. 8)

Good luck with the runs.. ramps has some nice plate gear for early 60's paly's.
rebelyell

Postby cyndeace » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:59 pm

Well, here is an update. I am now level 62, and have tanked ramparts twice and BF once. I've had 2 wipes total. It was actually funny my first ramparts run, until I pointed out that the dps meter didn't include pets, not only did I tank but I led the dps chart. Of course, with 2 hunters and a feral druid dps I was quite worried about holding agro so I pretty much had to drink every second pull. I now have around 85/8600 armor without dev aura, 401 defense and around 6600health unbuffed.

Now when I log on I get tells from the two priests asking me to tank for them, so I guess I didn't do too bad.
cyndeace

Postby rebelyell » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:07 pm

Good to hear you've had some success.. Its a very satisfying feeling logging in and having peeps chase you straight away to tank runs for them.
rebelyell

Return to Basic Training & Talents