Talent and enchant question =D

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Talent and enchant question =D

Postby toothdecaykills » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:56 pm

I had a few questions I was thinking about when I came to looking at where to go with my paladin in the later stages of the game. Invariably I always get back to spec, looking to see what I can drop if my gear provides it, things like that.

Currently I'm running in some kara gear, but most of it is pre kara blues. The main point I'm trying to make is that I'm uncrushable at the moment. So what exact use does Redoubt provide me? Other than the stepping stone to shield spec, exactly how useful is it if I'm already at the point where any further avoidance by block is wasted?

So essentially, is shield spec really worth the 8 point sinkhole it looks to be?

Secondly, I've been trying to discover which glove enchant would be of more use. Would 2% to threat end up being more beneficial threat wise than +20 spell damage. My initial thoughts would point towards a "hells yes", but I want to make sure in case the differences between the two are so miniscule that it becomes just a "which matts are easier to farm" decision.

Thanks a ton to anybody with constructive help =D

P.S. It would be so much easier to decide if glove enchants had glows.
toothdecaykills

Postby Nich » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:26 am

Check around, there's a breakeven point that's been posted for when 2% threat is better than 20 spell damage - from memory, it's around 7 or 800 tps.

As for redoubt? If you aoe tank, 8 blocks in 10 seconds is suddenly not as many as you'd like. It's mostly for farming, but also for a few fights in raids.
Nich

Postby jere » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:43 am

Imp. Devo vs. Shield Spec:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... 5&start=30

Threat vs. +20 spell dmg:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=727

I think at some point, we need a sticky which links to the various theory crafting threads...would make finding them easier as the search button was a bit less than helpful. I should have known better than to search for glove threat ... lol... 11 pages of threads came up.
jere

Postby toothdecaykills » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks a ton guys, I'll use the search function next time >.<

I was just almost certian that once I hit uncrushable, gaining another 30% block is useless, so the 5 points in redoubt really seemed like a waste just to get shield spec. Thanks for the links
toothdecaykills

Postby Jaydin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:19 am

toothdecaykills wrote:Thanks a ton guys, I'll use the search function next time >.<

I was just almost certian that once I hit uncrushable, gaining another 30% block is useless, so the 5 points in redoubt really seemed like a waste just to get shield spec. Thanks for the links

neg the shield block is what you WANT after you gain uncrushable - that means 30% more damage is being absorbed by your shield, which is good. shield block rating is what you need til you are uncrushable, but then you want to improve your block value (after stam ^_^ ) to lessen the damage you take
Jaydin

Postby Lore » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:04 am

I think he meant the 30% block buff from Redoubt. 30% block chance is indeed worthless, so long as you can keep holy shield up without it getting burned through. So yeah, the 5 points in Redoubt to get Shield Spec are pretty much wasted.

However, even as an 8-point talent, Shield Spec is still better for mitigation point-for-point than Imp Devotion.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Jaydin » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:12 am

ah yes oops too many 30%'s in the pally trees >_<

30% holy shield
30% redoubt
30% increased block value
30% damage increase with wings
double you tee eff mate?
Jaydin

Return to Basic Training & Talents