Remove Advertisements

Seal of Light?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Seal of Light?

Postby Trynian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:38 am

Greetings, all! I was quite pleased to find this forum, and am very grateful for all the information presented therein.

On to business: reading Gestalt's post, he makes it sounds like Seal/Judgement of Light is a pretty common way for paladin tanks to take some of the burden off of healers if you don't need the DPS. However, I've yet to see anyone even mention it on these forums (granted, I haven't scoured them with this in mind). Since I don't have near the mitigation or health I would like (see my sig), I figured judicious use of Seal of Light might be a good way to offset that. Am I dreaming?

On a more or less unrelated topic, I found that when I'm not judging SoR every time it comes up, it gets annoying hunting through my 50 million buffs to find my seal of light/wisdom/whatever and see how much time it has left so I know when to reapply it. Is there anything anyone can recommend to help me get a quicker bead on exactly how much time my seal has left?
Trynian

Postby Lore » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:46 am

As to your second question, I'm a big fan of ClassTimer: http://www.wowace.com/forums/index.php?topic=6052.0
It's pretty highly configurable, you can enable/disable which buffs it shows as well as add new ones not on the list. It's handy for watching judgement times too.

As to your first, I judge Wisdom most of the time in a raiding environment (for the good of our casters), however in situations where I'll be offtanking something for a fairly long period of time and I'm not too worried about threat I use a JoL/SoL combo and rely on Holy Shield and the occasional Consecrate to hold threat.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:53 am

Justice of Wisdom is usually my primary Judgment, I made the mistake to use Crusader on Prince last night ran out of mana in Phase 2 when I took like no damage... great feeling until you realize you have barely enough mana to keep Holy Shield going.

I use Judgment of Light when I have a melee heavy group and it will help ease the healing strain on the melee DPS. It works great on Aran :)
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Re: Seal of Light?

Postby adese » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:54 am

Trynian wrote:On a more or less unrelated topic, I found that when I'm not judging SoR every time it comes up, it gets annoying hunting through my 50 million buffs to find my seal of light/wisdom/whatever and see how much time it has left so I know when to reapply it. Is there anything anyone can recommend to help me get a quicker bead on exactly how much time my seal has left?

I personally use ClassTimer for this. It puts bars on your screen for your self buffs, debuffs on your target, and buffs/debuffs on your focus target. Which buffs/debuffs it shows is completely configurable, and you can move around the bars to wherever they fit best in your UI.
adese

Postby Trynian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks for the answers.

To clarify: I understand that Seal of Wisdom is very nice for when you want to make sure your mana-based DPSers don't run out of juice, but there are times when I'm less concerned with that than I am with making sure my healer can keep up with the damage I'm taking.

Maybe some background is in order. I'm in a casual guild. Not what you progression guilds call a "casual" guild, but a REAL casual guild, one that has only just recently attempted its first Karazahn run. Last night, I ran Black Morass with a protection-specced paladin as the healer.

Point being: I really can't guarantee that we're optimally configured for any given setting, and I want to know if Seal of Light can help in situations where I need some extra mitigation to keep from getting creamed, or if I should just focus on Wisdom or even Crusader/Righteousness just to help get the bad guy down as quickly as possible.
Last edited by Trynian on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trynian

Postby Lore » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:12 am

If aggro isn't a concern, and mitigation is, then yes, Seal of Light will help a little bit.

Judgements and Seals are pretty adaptive by nature. It ultimately depends on what you need the most. If you need threat, use a threat seal. If you need mana, use Wisdom. If you need to take some strain off your healer, use Light.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Jaydin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:41 am

yeah...if you feel its useful, go for it

i tend towards the side of wisdom over light but im not usually too concerned with getting heals so much as running out of mana. its a personal preference, but i find JotCru and JoW the two most frequently used judgements on any mob i tank - if theres a second pally or if im literally have nothing else to do ant there are a lot of melee'ers i'll once in a while use light

while JoW benefits ranged dps, i use it because *I* want mana...

try it out and see if it works ^_^
Jaydin

Postby Baelor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:51 am

Crusader = extra aggro
Wisdom = extension of mana
Light = slight bump in healing

They all have their uses and are worth using, albeit situationally. Evaluate your group's weaknesses vs whatever boss you're facing and use a judgment that fills that hole, whether it be you keeping aggro (Crusader), the DPS running short on mana (Wisdom), or the healers not keeping up with the damage (Light).
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Trynian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for the replies. :)
Trynian

Postby Vinsent » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:33 pm

Also if you have an affliction lock, JoL is bugged to heal for a ton:

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t10649-unus ... ent_light/

- More info for those interested.
Vinsent

Postby Rhodair » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:54 am

I prefer X-Perl above all else. It shows the time on the debuff below the enemy's health bar in a similar way OmniCC does on your hotkeys. I'm also using Dotimer, which by the way it sounds, does the same thing as ClassTimer. With X-Perl, it's not really needed though. I only have it to monitor my dots on shadowpriest and figure why not use it on all my characters.
Rhodair

Postby Base » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:05 am

I think JoL could be great if it had any scaling - but to be honest except in a fight like maiden (where the melee are taking constant low damage) it doesn't really do enough to justify not using JoW or JoC.

Trash mobs tend to go down fast enough that light doesn't have that much of an effect so I judge wisdom to allow me to move on to the next pull faster (or allow longer between drinks).
Base

Postby Questioner » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:48 am

Vinsent wrote:Also if you have an affliction lock, JoL is bugged to heal for a ton:

http://elitistjerks.com/f31/t10649-unus ... ent_light/

- More info for those interested.

I personally think Seal of Light will ONLY be useful if it works like it does right now (bugged form). I does use it (while healing) because of this bug, and I do not find it overpowered. I find it actual useful :D

We tend to be much more melee heavy then a lot of raids I see, and the bugged seal of light will heal a non-trivial amount (~50,000 effective).
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Return to Basic Training & Talents