Remove Advertisements

AS+Sap=Mad Group

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

AS+Sap=Mad Group

Postby Arimor » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:01 am

Now, I'm a pretty newb tankadin, haven't even tanked a Heroic yet, and I need a bit of help.

Now, I know to apply other CC after the pull as a Pally, but what about sap? I've always ended up hitting the sapped mob in 4+ pulls, and it I can't pull in groups of three or less with sap. I've avoided using sap to the furthest extent possible, but the group wants it. Sheep pulls can make the group a bit more tense(as in, make them panic), and don't always have Hunter for MD pull. Can anyone give me any tips with this?

On another note, how is my prot gear going?(I know I need a belt replace):
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... n&n=Arimor
Arimor

Postby Bobness » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:22 am

Wand Pull/Sheep pull..

Then AS when mobs get closer, not had any problems with this.
Bobness

Postby Arimor » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 am

Wow, I feel slightly stupid. Thank you.
Arimor

Postby Aina » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:25 am

Hey Arimor, I personally never use any CC anymore in regular 5-mans, so I don't have to deal with that problem anymore :) But, your gear probably still has a way to go before you can do that.
Have a look at Dreamcrusher's gearlist - http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=163

Also, if I were you I'd ditch your warrior sword, and get a spelldamage blade. These two quest items should help your threat a ton till you can get a Continuum Blade or one of the other instance drops.
Vibro Sword - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31448
Blade of Retribution - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31821

Also, a well-placed Consecration is an awesome tool, even if you just use rank 1 to tag aggro.

Good luck with your tanking!
Aina

Postby Sereen » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:37 am

^_^ What Aina said. (I'm really just posting to test my sig, but it's good advise)

-Ser
Sereen

Postby Maruko_ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:57 am

For groups of 4+, make the sap target one on the outer edge, and pull using your AS targeted on the mob on the opposite edge.
So if letters S-M-W-P are your mobs standing in a line, you'd sap S and pull targetting P (or vise versa).
Bit harder when the mobs are in a more square formation, but I can't think of too many trash pulls like that.

Nothing wrong with body pulling for smaller pulls... or if you're worried about aggroing a second group by getting too close, have someone else pull then taunt the mobs off when they get close and drop a consecration asap so they stick to you.
(not always accurate, I spec holy for arena)
Maruko_

Postby Candiru » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:14 am

I found what works well in heroic SL for instance is the following:

Rogue goes and saps his target

Mage sheeps to pull, and runs back into the previous room with everyone else

Mobs run through an earthbind totem and a consecration before getting into the room, so all are now agroed to me.

Shadow priest Mind Controls now.

Worked really well for us :)
Candiru

Postby Lightskin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:24 am

I don't have passive CC such as rogue sap, only active like warlock/mage/priest MC.

I have not done heroic SL in a long time because I hate the instance... but I would recommend by saying to not CC with rogue sap at all.
Lightskin

Postby Lore » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:32 am

I AS, and if the sap gets broke, the rogue should have sapped something else :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Candiru » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:07 am

actually with some practise you can often avoid breaking the sapped target anyway. For example in SL in the 2nd boss room pulls:

1 2
3 4
5 6

I would mark the 4 for a sap, 5 for sheep, 3 for kill (say) then throw my shield at 6. It will then always hit 6-5-3 and not break the sap since the gap between rows is bigger than the gap between the columns.

In a 3 mob equidistant pull this is harder though, since aiming for the middle will randomly hit one of the other two. Gives you a 50:50 chance of sap working.

Or you can use Linken's boomerang, but you loose a trinket slot then so its probably not worth it.
Candiru

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:45 am

get a good healer

get good gear

stop using CC

problem solved! lol.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Candiru » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:00 am

in heroics you really do need CC, otherwise you will be bursted down now matter how good your healer.
Candiru

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:10 am

Candiru wrote:in heroics you really do need CC, otherwise you will be bursted down now matter how good your healer.

Unless you have 2 healers.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby honorshammer » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:19 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Candiru wrote:in heroics you really do need CC, otherwise you will be bursted down now matter how good your healer.

Unless you have 2 healers.

I can verify this. We've done Heroic SP with 2 healers. We find the instance easier that way.
honorshammer

Postby Buttertoast » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:05 am

not always true! remember that some stun-immune things in normal mode are stunnable in heroic. a well-placed hoj can provide a great deal of mitigation, offering your healer just enough breathing room to keep you up.

To the OP: I can't believe you're letting the rogue sap at all. Smash the saps, break the sheeps. If you let them cc as they like when you are in the group, how will they ever learn? Show them the dominance of consecrate.
Buttertoast

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents