block value vs block rating wtf

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

block value vs block rating wtf

Postby ari » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 pm

k, think ive got my head around most of the tanking maths.... with one glaring exception that i feel very stupid about i cant quite get my head around the difference between:

increases the block value of your shield by X

and

increases your shield block rating by X

and whether +block rating/value (eg gem set bonus) is a third option or one of the above.

dont suppose anyone would be able to give me a dumbed down simple explanation of the difference here for a semi retarded person like myself?

with perhaps desirable options/opinions/goals for my raid boss set and heroic/trash/OT set?

and perhaps which one is more desirable etc?

heres my raid boss gear armory link http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... &n=Arithon
got moroes pocket watch last night, so was playing around with a few slots might not be 100% accurate.

ty in advance :D
ari

Postby Everlight » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:09 pm

Block Rating = chance to block an attack
Block Value = amount of damage you block per block
Everlight

Re: block value vs block rating wtf

Postby Myotis » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:12 pm

ari wrote:the difference between:

increases the block value of your shield by X

and

increases your shield block rating by X

and whether +block rating/value (eg gem set bonus) is a third option or one of the above.

7.9 Block rating will increase your chances to block an attack by 1%.
You currently have 20.66% chance to block. Your Figurine of the Colossus contributes to 4.05% of that 20.66% ( 32/7.9 = 4.05 ).

When you do block an attack, the damage received will be reduced by an amount equal to your total Block Value.

Exemple :

Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden

Equip: Increases the block value of your shield by 38.
This line tells you that, when you block an attack, you will prevent 38 damage of the attack.

Equip: Increases your shield block rating by 17.
This will increase your chance to block an attack by 2.15%

Red Socket
Yellow Socket
Socket Bonus: +4 Block Rating
4 Block rating, will increase your chance to block an attack by 0.5%
Myotis

Postby ari » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:31 pm

thx for the quick replies... pls let me know if ive got this right!

what i get out of this is:

block rating = increase to avoidance; big help to keep uncrushable

shield block value = mitigation by way of increasing blocked dmg amount

so that where the whole BV vs armor thing comes into play!!

think i understand now... since i currently believe full avoidance (dodge/parry) is more the way to focus my path than increasing block dmg amount (considering you get a decent block amount on the same gear usually anyway) i would then:

use block rating only as it pertains to keeping me uncrushable; then focus on dodge instead of shield block value.

sound ok?
ari

Postby Calindae » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 pm

use block rating only as it pertains to keeping me uncrushable; then focus on dodge instead of shield block value.

Well, block value/rating has its own advantages in other situations (tanking many mobs at the same time, for example), but against a raid boss, completely avoiding an attack that hits for a couple thousand damage is more advantageous than blocking some extra damage.
Calindae

Postby ari » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:57 pm

Calindae wrote:Well, block value/rating has its own advantages in other situations (tanking many mobs at the same time, for example),

that would be just block value that matters in this particular case, not block rating.. ya? since whether you actually block the attack is irrelevant; its the amount you block for that is beneficial.

am i getting this right?? it seems to be making more sense.
ari

Postby Everlight » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:11 pm

ari wrote:that would be just block value that matters in this particular case, not block rating.. ya? since whether you actually block the attack is irrelevant; its the amount you block for that is beneficial.

No, the combination of the two is important. There's little point blocking 100% of an attack if you only do it 0.001% of the time.

What I'm getting at is this. If you block half of an attack, and block say 20% of the time, you are reducing your total damage input by 10% overall.

This effect becomes very obvious where you're blocking all of a mob's damage on a block - each block becomes the avoidance equivalent of a dodge, but with threat benefits. But bear in mind as the mobs hit harder, the effective value diminishes.
Everlight

Postby ari » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:41 pm

ya i was figuring since id already be uncrushable while aoe-ing every hit will be blocked at worst... so its the amount of dmg reduction (block value) that is important; not whether i actually block (block rating) since ill be blocking most hits anyway.... unless ur talking after all my shield charges have been used up?

either way, i think ive got a handle on it now, thanks for the input :)
ari

Return to Basic Training & Talents