Remove Advertisements

using +def prior to 70

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

using +def prior to 70

Postby Shathus » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Sorry if this has been covered as I'm sure it has at somepoint... L2search for me if so but...

My pally just dinged 65 last night, and I've mostly been gearing with Stam and SD (~8200 hp and 150 SD so far). And I've been doing a fair amount of instances since outlands and haven't any any trouble with aggro through UB so far.

Anyways to my point... I've come across a number of 'of the Champion' pieces with +def on them and while I understand it still plays a part... is it really worth taking an item solely for the reason of it having +def on it? Does it really matter prior to getting to 70? Obviously i don't need 490 def at 65 either, so just trying to see if i'm taking the correct approach to gearing. (I don't have any points in anticipation yet either, was waiting til 70 to respec that).

Side note... I had not wanted to do engineering since I already did that on my druid and wanted to do something else... but I actually looked at the goggles for the first time today and damn! especially since i can use them now. May have to go power level engineering to get those puppies
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:51 pm

Might as well, although 65 to 70 should take you a couple days, if that, so might as well get the champion stuff to tide you over until you can get real tanking gear at 70.

And the goggles are win, unless you have easy access to T6 or ZA clears.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Well... i probably would have been 70 awhile ago, but I've been trying to level with my fiance on her shadow priest and I can't always get her to play as much as I'd like :)

It's funny when I switch back to my druid any tank though wishing I had AS or concecrate. Tanking has been a lot more fun on the pally so far.

Gogo power leveling engineering it is
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Re: using +def prior to 70

Postby Peryl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:16 pm

Shathus wrote:Sorry if this has been covered as I'm sure it has at somepoint... L2search for me if so but...

My pally just dinged 65 last night, and I've mostly been gearing with Stam and SD (~8200 hp and 150 SD so far). And I've been doing a fair amount of instances since outlands and haven't any any trouble with aggro through UB so far.

Anyways to my point... I've come across a number of 'of the Champion' pieces with +def on them and while I understand it still plays a part... is it really worth taking an item solely for the reason of it having +def on it? Does it really matter prior to getting to 70? Obviously i don't need 490 def at 65 either, so just trying to see if i'm taking the correct approach to gearing. (I don't have any points in anticipation yet either, was waiting til 70 to respec that).

Side note... I had not wanted to do engineering since I already did that on my druid and wanted to do something else... but I actually looked at the goggles for the first time today and damn! especially since i can use them now. May have to go power level engineering to get those puppies

Related link here there are more threads actually inside this link.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... php?t=9648

You don't have to worry about stacking def too much before 70. I would stack Stam, SD, some int, def where you can. Just get the best combo of those stats. Just be aware that you will get crit and at times your hit points will drop but that will change as you get to 70 and start to stack def.

Read the gear stickies and try to grab a few of the pre-70's pieces as you do instances.

Oh, and the googles are awesome. I dropped BS 270 and powerleveled Eng for them. Go for it. :D
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Shoju » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:22 am

I honestly didnt find myself wanting for defense till the end of durnholde. Epoch hunter is really painful. THe big problem with the fight is that you need shadow resist aura, so you lose out on some mitigation (because single mob boss fights go better with devo aura).
Shoju

Postby caboom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:56 pm

upper tips are nice but the lack of crittability will show in the hard instances, MT for ex and later BM, the way i did was have SD buffs on me at all time, along with the spellfire longsword, and SD/stamina rings/necklace, reaching about 100-120 sd buffed, and in the rest of slots stack "of the champion" items or high stamina/agility/defense rate items, threat was rarely an issue as i'd put salvation on everyone in my groups, xcept the healer, but instances that ppl here said were suposed to be hard(MT is a fine exemple) always seemed a breeze to me. :)
caboom

Postby Dendrah » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:31 am

Just get yourself some double sets. Start out in full SD gear but whisper your healer that you can switch if needed. I rarely get my healers asking me to switch gear. all my DPs'ers go with kings/wisdom/might as they please. Only OP twinks steal my aggro.

I'm lvl 67 and I'm running with 440ish def and 180ish SD. I still need to start on enchants too.

Spend a bit of time on the armory looking for upgrades and make sure you get the sword from Slavepens and you'll be ok.

Imho pre 70 you're better of with some HP and armor then with def.
Dendrah

Return to Basic Training & Talents