Remove Advertisements

where do I go from here?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

where do I go from here?

Postby slickmccool » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:09 pm

he is my situation.

This past Thursday I offically went from OT to MT for Kara. Our guild now has 3 groups running per week, and I am now MT status having MT'd every boss there. I generated so much threat on Prince some of my guildmates said they never saw anything like it.

We also just finished Mags, where I was one of the tanks for the channelers, and on the cube team.

In the 25 mans (mags and gruuls, ect), I see my role diminished. In Gruuls, I tank the warlock caster at Maulgar, and thats it. When it comes to Gruul himself, I melee, which for a prot pally, is minimal. I esentially dont do much.

We will be soon doing SSC, and the other two MTs in my guild will get priority I am sure. One is an incredible warrior, and the other is a druid with an astromonical amnt of HP. Our other warrior tank I recently passed in HP, threat generation, ect. So while I am moving up, I seem to feel like I may be moving backwards.

What do i do? I am thinking about bring a dps set and heal set, but would those do a lot if I stay specc'd for prot? Should my role be decided BEFORE we raid so I can respec, or it is viable to change sets while still being a prot pally?

I love it, and my guild really loves me being the only Prot pally, and a great one at that. I justs see my role as minor in the large 25-mans.

On a side note, anyone have any suggestions on different gear sets for prot? I have started to see that Prot pallys carry a few different sets for different tanking roles. Can anyone elaborate?
slickmccool

Postby Peryl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:23 am

For the gear sets, it is useful to build different sets for different fights. Block value, avoidence, healing. I'm sure you can find info in the gear section. I would specifically work on getting some healing items for those fights where you are not MTing. As you said our lolDPS is not that good and it might be better to put on healing gear and heal some fights.
Peryl
70 Tankadin
Muradin
Peryl

Postby Colette » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:21 am

Different tanks are useful in different 25 man fights. Unfortunately a lot of the specialized roles for pally tanks are the less glorious ones. Adds in Hydross and Tidewalker are what most pallys end up doing in SSC. Tidewalker would be ideally tanked by a pally due to his fast swing timer, but unless you have more than one you're going to be on add duty. Likewise, you'll probably be on adds in Al'ar and Solarian in TK too.

You might have a shot at convincing your guild to let you tank Leo, the logic being that prot warriors sometimes have trouble killing their demons so they would be better off in dps gear :twisted:
Colette

Postby Dorvan » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:27 am

Well the other logic behind Leo is that you're much better at picking him up after a whirlwind. On Karathress Pallies are most often assigned to the hunter/pet, and on Vashj they work very well as one of the two tanks because ranged taunt/Avenger's Shield are great for picking up naga, and being able to just BoF yourself or the other tank is handy too.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:49 am

Dorvan wrote:... and on Vashj they work very well as one of the two tanks because ranged taunt/Avenger's Shield are great for picking up naga, and being able to just BoF yourself or the other tank is handy too.

I'm not certain why more than 1 tank is required for this fight; whenever we had a 2nd tank he just ran around playing ultimate frisbee. Having a paladin solo tank this and bringing +1 healer or dps seems to make more sense to me.

Why a paladin over a warrior or druid?
- ranged taunt/aggro generation
- self BoF
- snap aggro
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby guillex » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:55 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I'm not certain why more than 1 tank is required for this fight; whenever we had a 2nd tank he just ran around playing ultimate frisbee. Having a paladin solo tank this and bringing +1 healer or dps seems to make more sense to me.

It's not required, it just makes things a hell of a lot easier.

Take when we do Vashj.

I pretty much just keep JoW and SoV on Vashj while Invis MTs.

When Phase 2 pops, I'm picking up Naga. If ever the DPS slacks a bit on a Naga, Invis will pick up the other spawn and tank it until mine is down. If I have two, then he'll keep a third on him until I'm ready (that's only happened once or twice, but still, it can happen).

Tossing a frisbee to pick up Naga is golden, and you barely have to move from the center ring.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Return to Basic Training & Talents