Remove Advertisements

Reckoning, OH Spec, or neither

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Reckoning, OH Spec, or neither

Postby StopPokingMe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Ok this is my first post and I wanted to talk to other pally tanks about a build I've been messing with. Reason why is the argument about reckoning causing ParryGibs. One Hand Spec increasing white damage by 5 percent so I created this build for your review.

0/44/17
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dMMqtVbx0hb

You may ask why I used "Pursuit of Justice" and I'll show you why. Let's talk about something that sucks for prot pallys(giving up an aura for resistances). Spell Mitigation. Well Spell warding is a small decrease and PoJ is also a small incresese as well. Combined over the course of being nailed by 100 spells 3 will miss and for all that don't 4% less damage will be taken which adds up to 7% spell damage mitigation. It really isn't much but it's better than nothing.

Instead this build features improved retribution aura which will increase the damage from each hit to about 40. double that to about 80 with imp righteous fury and that should be a considerate amount of threat for AoE tanking with a mage behind you doing some big AoE numbers.

The reason for this build is to fly through heroics and take more mobs at the same time. Let me know what you think =)
Last edited by StopPokingMe on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StopPokingMe

Postby Zalaria » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:13 pm

A correction:

One-Handed Weapon Specialization Rank 5
Increases all damage you deal when a one-handed melee weapon is equipped by 5%.

1h spec increases everything you do: melee, seal, consecration, holy shield, sanctuary, etc.
Last edited by Zalaria on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby StopPokingMe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:18 pm

Tanks for the update that changes........ pretty much everything
StopPokingMe

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:19 pm

One had spec increases /all/ damage done while wielding a 1h weapon, including judgements, consecrates, etc. It's kind of a must have.

Parrygib is kind of like the boogey man. Usually not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be.

If this build is intended for heroics, I would recommend something like this:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0dMgatVoL0h

Or, if you're really hot on imp ret aura (which is kind of horrible, tbh), something like this:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVotIx0dMgRtVbx0hb

... which trades off on AD or imp Ret. There's a 40/21 threat rocket build in this forum if your primary concern is just generating a ton of threat.

But a very basic point: 1h spec increases all damage. It's a 5% gain in threat, across the board.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby StopPokingMe » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Well I thank you both for the information, after reading both of your opinions, it looks like the imp retribution aura is gonna gimp my threat levels in most cases. Thank you again I think I'm gonna try a few things out here but 1 hand weapon specialization looks awesome now let's see what WotLK gives us =)
StopPokingMe

Postby Achtung » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Reckoning was one of my favorite talents in the Prot tree.
Then I read about the terrible horrors of PARRYGIB!!!!11
And I specced out of it.
Recently I realised that I don't really care about hasted parry attacks and specced back into Reckoning 4/5. And I lubs it, it's such a great threat generator and it procs like crazy when you're AoE tanking places like MH and ZA.

I'd say get both if you can work it, but if you're intent on hanging on to your PoJ then definately get 1H spec.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby sbeacher » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:56 am

I dropped kings and imp judgement to pick up 3/5 reck and have 1 hand spec maxed. Don't notice not having imp judgement at all. Kings on the other hand is missed in 10 mans and heroics, but with the exception of ZA it's not that necessary.

Did Kara tonight with me as the only pally and no priests. Only 2 druid healers who had ~1400 +healing each. Couple close calls but for the most part smooth sailing.

There are a bunch of posts on here that do the math as to why imp ret aura is a horrible waste of points.
sbeacher

Postby Seloei » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:43 am

you dropped imp judgement instead of spell warding to get 2 points?
Overlapping cooldowns in favor of a few extra attacks =o

Cookie cutter build without kings + spell warding gives you 3 points to spare which you can use wherever you wish.
Seloei

Postby sbeacher » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:05 am

Uhh, you're confused. Improved judgement is what causes the overlapping.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=4223

Also, reckoning proced 150 times during our run of rage through kaz tonight. If that's a "few extra swings" I'll take it.
sbeacher

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 am

sbeacher wrote:Uhh, you're confused. Improved judgement is what causes the overlapping.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=4223

Also, reckoning proced 150 times during our run of rage through kaz tonight. If that's a "few extra swings" I'll take it.
DOn't forget when it refreshes itself :p it doesn't parse as a new buff.

I take reckoning over shield spec, but then again my aoes are all in bt and hyjal ._. dodge is op.
It's a good enough uptime, too
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

Reminder: procs of Reckoning due to aoetanking are useless.

While AoEtanking trashs i got reckoning up 24/24 7/7, that doesn't mean it has 100% procrate :|
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jere » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:30 am

Well, that depends. If I am running some combo of SoL/SoW + JoL/JoW while AoE tanking, then reckoning is very nice while AoE tanking.

Alternately, if you run SoV in your AoE tanking rotation (apply 1-2 stacks, tab, apply 1-2 stacks, tab, ....., refresh, tab, refresh, tab, etc.) then Reckoning is pretty godly for that as well.
jere

Postby sbeacher » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:03 am

Reminder: procs of Reckoning due to aoetanking are useless.

Compared to what? Improved Judgement? Being able to judge one mob 2 seconds faster isn't any more useful in aoe tanking.
sbeacher

Return to Basic Training & Talents