Remove Advertisements

Thinking of trying to be a little more versitile

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Thinking of trying to be a little more versitile

Postby Strom » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:26 am

I am currently one of the MTs of my guild. Although I tank a lot of trash I also tank a lot of the bosses. For example I will be on Gorefiend soon for progression. But, we usually have plenty of healers and I want to be able to:

1) rotate in some backup tanks to get soem experience/gear
2) do something useful (or at least semi-useful) when not tanking and save myself a ton of respec costs.

I was looking at this build:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZxhthx0zgMqtVoxt

Is the versitility worth the loss of 30% more BV and 5% less damage while using a one-hander?

I can easily pass off the loss of redoubt, spell warding, and 1 sec from imp judgment. Its the former two that concern me.

Your thoughts are appreciated.
Image
Strom
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 am

Postby Requinix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 am

What is the point of SoCC and Conviction?

Are you going to attempt to DPS in that spec?
Image

Image
Requinix
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Aggramar

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:36 am

Your best shot is to put on resto shaman gear (lack of illumination makes spell crit less valuable), get in a healing group, and heal. Blessing of Sacrifice the tank, and that's about it. Without Crusader Strike, your DPS will be bad, so you may as well throw out some heals.

If you're in a group with a Resto Shaman, you'll get his totems, and effectively have the same regen as him (except for Water Shield). Get a shadow priest and you'll be golden.
Last edited by moduspwnens on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby Requinix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:38 am

moduspwnens wrote:Your best shot is to put on resto shaman gear (lack of illumination makes spell crit less valuable), get in a healing group, and heal. Blessing of Sacrifice the tank, and that's about it. Without Crusader Strike, your DPS will be bad, so you may as well throw out some heals.


This is what I do.

Add in juding wisdom, keeping my finger on LoH for the MT and jumping in circles.
Image

Image
Requinix
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Aggramar

Postby Strom » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:41 am

Requinix wrote:What is the point of SoCC and Conviction?

Are you going to attempt to DPS in that spec?


Yes when I am not tanking. We are moving some backup tanks in to get them some gear and expience. I really am not needed to heal, so its either I DPS in my normal 0/49/12 spec or I DPS in the spec I posted above. I would have the luxury of WF and LotP I should state and me sitting out isnt an option.

So we would have noobpallytank X tank trash,Rage, and Anatheron adds while I DPS. Then I would tank trash at orc camp, Kaz, and Az adds while he swaps out for a DPS (who logs on late).

At any rate, I hope you see what I am getting at. If the cost to my tanking is too great of a sacrifice for the little DPS returns then I just will not do it. A calculator I used put me at 700 DPS in my ret gear with that spec. So meh....

EDIT- Trust me its more of a waste of my time to heal. I have done it. It is totally not needed for the fights we are bringing these recruits in on.
Image
Strom
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 am

Postby moduspwnens » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:44 am

You'll have difficulty putting out moderate DPS (even for a Ret Paladin) without Crusader Strike. An extra swing every 6 seconds with a 2H is a big deal. It sucks that Blizzard designed us this way, but we're much more effective healers without talents than DPSers with only a few.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby Strom » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:53 am

Maybe I will give it a go and report here how feeble my damage output is :lol:
Image
Strom
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 am

Postby Requinix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Its not that you are losing a great deal of tank talents, but even in the best of gear you are looking at 300-500dps and going OOM very quick.

If you don't want to heal, swap to a 1 hander with deathfrost, keep up jugement of your choice (in tank gear) and be ready to save a wipe somehow.. LoH, picking up lose infernals, etc, etc.


Edit:

Also note I just made a Nightfall and put deathfrost on it for this very reason.

I haven't tested it out in a 25 man yet, but lets just say I ran KZ the other day, and Attunemen wasn't hitting me for piss (I way out gear the place) so I swapped over and tanked him with nightfall (a 2hander!) Deathfrost was staying up like a champ but I don't think I saw nightfall proc once =(
Image

Image
Requinix
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Aggramar

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:08 pm

Requinix wrote:I haven't tested it out in a 25 man yet, but lets just say I ran KZ the other day, and Attunemen wasn't hitting me for piss (I way out gear the place) so I swapped over and tanked him with nightfall (a 2hander!) Deathfrost was staying up like a champ but I don't think I saw nightfall proc once =(


Nightfall was nerfed last patch. R.i.P.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 5130
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Postby Strom » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:51 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:
Requinix wrote:I haven't tested it out in a 25 man yet, but lets just say I ran KZ the other day, and Attunemen wasn't hitting me for piss (I way out gear the place) so I swapped over and tanked him with nightfall (a 2hander!) Deathfrost was staying up like a champ but I don't think I saw nightfall proc once =(


Nightfall was nerfed last patch. R.i.P.


Yup....

Anyway, I plan of using this spec on our next farm night in SSC or TK. I will report just how poor it is lol.
Image
Strom
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:46 am


Return to Basic Training & Talents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?