Spec thoughts, please help

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Spec thoughts, please help

Postby shaggynuts24 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:01 am

i have an off-spec on my Paladin, I think it is time for a respec. My guild is past Kara and currently farming Gruul and most of ZA, we now have Void Reaver down on TK.

I still MT runs bringing alts through Karazan to get gear, and often get some sweet action in ZA. For Gruul / TK I am reduced to a a trash off-tank who puts on healing gear for Void Reaver.

here is what I have

0/51/10
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIg0dMgqtV0x

this is the cookie cutter spec with 3 points left over

0/46/12
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxIx0zMgqtVbx

Kings is a must .... so 0/47/12

i don't have a whole lot of use for reducing the cool down on my judgements ... i have enough spell damage to compensate and the "only" thing it is usefull for is judgement of righteousness.

... 0/47/10 ... 4 points left

Vindication is ok for trash mobs and PvP - not really needed - but completely useless on bosses

so i have to decide on the following:

improved seal of the crusader looks cool 3/3 = +3% chance of crit for ALL attacks made against the target (25 man raid = 25 people with +3% crit ... does not apply to people healing me or targeting anything other than what the seal is on)

persuit of judgement 3/3 = reduces chances i will be hit by spells by 3% (spells kick my ass)

spell warding 2/2 = reduces spell damage by 4% (ZA eagle boss's Call Lightning (Nature) - deals 3800 - 4200 damage. minus 4% = 3648 - 4032 ... not even 200 hp----that ones out of the running)

what do you guys think?

improved crit will help down bosses faster .... persuit of justice will increase my survivability versus casters ... but only by a hair .... spell warding saves a little bit of health, but does it warrant 2 points?
shaggynuts24

Postby Yadard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 am

Why is kings a must?

I've been running without Kings for a while now and I really don't miss it, even when we don't have a Healadin in a 10-man to put it up.

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:06 am

Well, it's just probably the best buff in the game, that's all. It's not a MUST, but for only one talent point, the way it applies to everyone and scales makes it quite nice.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby shaggynuts24 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:25 am

its a must, because +10% stamina and +10% agility ... it is something i would not want to go without on a Boss Fight

not to mention Hunters crave Kings

at this point i have 4 points that I don't know where to put them ....

improved seal of the crusader ... persuit of judgement ... spell warding

what are your thoughts on those?
shaggynuts24

Postby moduspwnens » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:29 am

I'd put one in Improved Judgement and the other three in Reckoning.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Yadard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:45 am

As I said, I don't miss Kings. I agree it's a great buff, but 99.9% of the time one of your healadins covers it anyway, and honestly I'd question the sanity of your (non-SV) hunters if they want Kings over Might.

As for where you are putting the points, Modus pretty much covers it if you're unwilling to spec out of Kings I think. With it 2/2 Spell Warding and 3/5 Reckoning could also be an option, but chances are I'll be dropping the Spell Warding to go 2/2 Imp. Judgements soon myself, so YMMV

Sworn: We do bad things to bad people.

Yadard - 70 - Moonglade
Yadard

Postby shaggynuts24 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 am

why reckoning?

is it really that good? I have not used it since I was done leveling.
shaggynuts24

Postby guillex » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:18 am

shaggynuts24 wrote:why reckoning?

is it really that good? I have not used it since I was done leveling.

It's a threat increase when it procs ... And in aoe trash pull situations, at 3/5, it procs QUITE a lot.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby shaggynuts24 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 am

i never have a problem with threat (except when I am first getting my threat established)

when doing an AoE pull I either have seal of wisdom or seal of light up, every time they hit me it is a big increase in threat to all the mobs instead of an increase in threat on a single target ..... giving the mages and warlocks more leeway with their AoE DPS.

I can see the advantage on a single target mob or a boss fight, but people rarely catch up to my threat on those fights.
shaggynuts24

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 pm

I've run with 1 point in reckoning for a couple months; it's still up a lot. The increased uptime for 3-5 points isn't worth the opportunity cost, in my opinion.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:08 pm

shaggynuts24 wrote:i never have a problem with threat (except when I am first getting my threat established)

when doing an AoE pull I either have seal of wisdom or seal of light up, every time they hit me it is a big increase in threat to all the mobs instead of an increase in threat on a single target ..... giving the mages and warlocks more leeway with their AoE DPS.

I can see the advantage on a single target mob or a boss fight, but people rarely catch up to my threat on those fights.

Just one point of clarification. Using SoL or SoW for AoE pulls is great, but the threat it produces is divided among all the mobs and only occurs when they proc (not when you get hit). So, it will add a little threat to everything, it's not a lot. Using reckoning would increase it though.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby shaggynuts24 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:54 am

Fridmarr wrote:
shaggynuts24 wrote:i never have a problem with threat (except when I am first getting my threat established)

Just one point of clarification. Using SoL or SoW for AoE pulls is great, but the threat it produces is divided among all the mobs and only occurs when they proc (not when you get hit). So, it will add a little threat to everything, it's not a lot. Using reckoning would increase it though.

thank you for clarifying. i really appreciate the information that you guys have shared.
shaggynuts24

Postby shaggynuts24 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:53 am

i think i will go this route

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhtIx0zRgqtVcx

3/3 Imp Seal of the Crusader = good crits for the raid = things die faster

1/5 reckoning ... should be enough to proc 1-2 times during boss fights and multiple trash mob pulls

no imp judgement ... i have enough threat without it

1/1 Blessing of Kings ... for the awesomeness
shaggynuts24

Return to Basic Training & Talents