Remove Advertisements

Getting thrown in =(

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Getting thrown in =(

Postby DS-EULysdexic » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:43 am

I dinged 70 a bit over a week ago, and I quickly got all the gear I could find (I prepared, getting crystalforged sword, revered @ KoT, all before dinging 70)

So the day after I dinged my guild tossed me into kara, while I was still about 5% crushable, but I mean it was fine, I was just OT'ing trash and it was fine, and that helped me get pretty much all the badges I needed for the libram. So now I was uncrushable with mostly blues and they decided it was time to go to ZA.
Wiped on first akil'zoni gauntlet, but then got it down and thats easy, I had to go in front, so I wasn't quite sure what to do. Our MT (an amazing bear with 20k hp, I think she hit armor cap too) tanked him and they gave me the amani punisher, which is amazing.

Anyway, I've now done nalo, tried janny, I think we'll get him next time, but still, I havent had time to get badge gear, or a good shield (still with shield of the wayward footman), and they had me tank our first attempt on gruul 2 days ago T_T -- I was pushing 17k with every buff conceivable
Yet on a silence gruul happily bashed me for 7k followed by 11k crush (silenced so no HS, or heals..)

Anyway, after that wall of text, here's my armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... n=Lysdexic

Although atm that shows me wearing steam hinge necklace, I had the one from maiden =/

Ok the point of all this is that I want to know, for a boss like gruul (Ok, so I basically have to tank him since I wouldn't be able to OT him and stay as 2nd on threat) I want to stack as much avoidance as possible, in that case I think with gruul flask, GoA, everything, I had something like 27% dodge, while i'm normally at about 21%.

I'm working on getting: bracers of the green fortress, bulwark of the amani empire (i dont feel bad being trashadin on janny, I think im geared enough for that), slikk's cloak, maiden gloves, jungle stompers, commendation and pocket watch, and replacing the iron band ring with the honored violet signet, which i'm pretty close to. I dont know of any replacement for andormu's ring, which is absolutely amazing. Any comments? =( I'm probably the world's first tankadin getting pushed into raids, not shunned.
Darkspear EU (H)
DS-EULysdexic

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:53 am

What was the point of this thread
Levantine

Re: Getting thrown in =(

Postby DS-EULysdexic » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:49 am

DS-EULysdexic wrote:Ok the point of all this is that I want to know, for a boss like gruul (Ok, so I basically have to tank him since I wouldn't be able to OT him and stay as 2nd on threat) I want to stack as much avoidance as possible I guess I forgot a question mark?, in that case I think with gruul flask, GoA, everything, I had something like 27% dodge, while i'm normally at about 21%.

I'm working on getting: bracers of the green fortress, bulwark of the amani empire (i dont feel bad being trashadin on janny, I think im geared enough for that), slikk's cloak, maiden gloves, jungle stompers, commendation and pocket watch, and replacing the iron band ring with the honored violet signet, which i'm pretty close to. I dont know of any replacement for andormu's ring, which is absolutely amazing. Any comments? (Feedback on whether there is anything else?) =( I'm probably the world's first tankadin getting pushed into raids, not shunned.

Any better? I felt some background might be appreciated, text searching for key words helps otherwise
Darkspear EU (H)
DS-EULysdexic

Postby Levantine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:08 am

Much better. Should probably put a TL;DR at the end. :P

You're super undergeared for Gruuls, so ummm, unless your healers and deeps are super pro and can a) heal you through the gronn, and b) kill him before he gets too big, you're a bit SoL.

Stacking avoidance is normally the way things are done here, after meeting the minimum EH cushions to survive 3 (I think) hits in a row without heals. Of course, three hits from Gruul is quite a bit of damage, so I dunno what you're going to do, lol.
Levantine

Postby BigBlueCheese » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:18 am

Why can't you stay 2nd in threat? Just judge wisdom and use mana pots. And if possible be put in a group with a shadow priest.
BigBlueCheese

Postby DexterBelgium » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 pm

BigBlueCheese wrote:Why can't you stay 2nd in threat? Just judge wisdom and use mana pots. And if possible be put in a group with a shadow priest.

If you've found a guild thats so committed to you being a tankadin (good for you btw), maybe ask the hunters to throw a few misdirects your way. As long as you're second on aggro, you'll be eating hurtfulls, and that should take care of a lot of your mana probs.

Also, as OT, balance more towards spell damage, use JotC, Avengin wrath, all the tricks.

If you MT it (tho you are, indeed, very low for that) use trinkets and such to get over the silences (like the on use of the moroes trinket, if you have it).
DexterBelgium

Postby Zimi » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 pm

if you OT gruul, find a cave in and stand in it to keep your mana up, put the pressure on your healers =P
Zimi

Postby Achtung » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:27 pm

Just roll with it, you'll get the gear soon enough.

And in the meantime you'll prove to your guild that you're willing to get in there and give it a red-hot go even if you think you're a little undergeared. A mistake I made was thinking "I don't think I've got enough gear for Karazhan yet", and then when I finally jumped in to tank it, it was so damn easy I couldn't fathom why I had waited so long.

If your RLs are prepared to give you a chance, despite your non-optimal gear, that's awesome so just do your best.

As for MT on Gruul, keep an eye on the Silence cooldown, and make sure you get HS up for it, or at least pop an avoidance trinket or something if your HS is on GCD. And let your healers know over vent if you can't do either, just in case you get crushed.
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:01 am

Levantine wrote:Stacking avoidance is normally the way things are done here, after meeting the minimum EH cushions to survive 3 (I think) hits in a row without heals. Of course, three hits from Gruul is quite a bit of damage, so I dunno what you're going to do, lol.

Stacking avoidance is the way things are done in Karazhan and Sunwell. When preparing for Gruul's you need to hit 102.4% and then get as much (effective) health as possible.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lowgrus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:47 am

screw offtanking gruul... is all i have to say to that. You guys might like the challenge or wasting mana pots but not I...

I know that as a t6 tank with 500-700 spell damage pending on which set I'm in. I'd still have a hard time holding second aggro on the stupid guy..
definitly not enough threat to stay above our melee or your melee. If your a prot paladin and you can OT gruul I'd have to say your melee is bad.com I could be wrong

but just thowing it out there holy shield = 35 percent of our threat.

Heaven forbid one of your judgements get resisted..
Lowgrus

Postby Candiru » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:01 am

Its very easy to offtank gruul.

1) use the spelldaamge + stamina flask for gruuls
2) spelldamage weapon oil
3)spelldamage libram(zeal or SoR)

you don't need to be uncrushable for OT gruul, but it helps in case the MT dies. (you can swap libram mid combat mind)

Judge crusader, use righteousness and rank 1 or 6 consecration depending on how much mana you have. You want a consecration up at ALL times, so rank1 if you don't have the mana for 6 (it gets 100% of the bonus from JotC) Use judgement as soon as its off CD (talent 2 points in imp.judgement) and don't waste mana with holy shield. You can cast a BoSacrifice on the MT to leach some mana or stand in a cave in.

If you have mana throw an Avenger's shield, pop wings before you do.

THE MANA POTS ARE FREE IN GRUULS LAIR SO DON'T COMPLAIN. DRINK ONE EVERY SINGLE CD STARTING FROM AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

(by "free" I mean costs 2 apexis shards or something stupid from the Orgrila people)
Candiru

Postby Seloei » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:51 am

Early t4 pala threat is unmatchable, and the t4 melee dps isn't that high as t6. Melee dps scales A LOT better than any other so they go from "lol melee dps? i do more damage with only autoshoot" to "DUDE WATCH OMEN" once they have most t5/6 gear.

OT'ng gruul is easy enough, you just have to slap on loads of spelldamage, judge crusader, use the apexis shard mana pots and profit. Ask for misdirects if you see you are about to lose threat to melees.
Seloei

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:19 am

Lowgrus wrote:screw offtanking gruul... is all i have to say to that. You guys might like the challenge or wasting mana pots but not I...

I know that as a t6 tank with 500-700 spell damage pending on which set I'm in. I'd still have a hard time holding second aggro on the stupid guy..
definitly not enough threat to stay above our melee or your melee. If your a prot paladin and you can OT gruul I'd have to say your melee is bad.com I could be wrong

but just thowing it out there holy shield = 35 percent of our threat.

Heaven forbid one of your judgements get resisted..
hmm no
Get a shadow priest. Seriously, that alone is gamebreaking. If you can get WoA too, but it's not as necessary.
Wear your threat set, judge crusader(happy is the paladin with a ret running aronud) and enjoy. You may have to pot early but after 5 or so growths, cave-ins + hurtfuls will keep your mana up.

For the OP: You're undergeared. Don't bother for now, and get better stuff.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents