Saving mana in instances pre-60?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Saving mana in instances pre-60?

Postby DramaticBaby » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:35 am

I really don't know if it's easier to save mana after lvl 60, but atm I have troubles with it.

I'm lvl 52, and when I have looked around in this forum you mention in many places that SA is enough for regaining mana during longer fights. But I feel that SA is not enough for me. If I pull a group of trash mobs I get low on mana quite fast, in some cases even oom when there are 2-3 mobs left.

Should I judge SoW to get more mana back or am I simply wasting mana by doing too many consecrations and HS?

I use highest rank Cons and HS and use them as much as I can during a pull of trash mobs.

When you tank, after a normal pull how much mana do you have left in percent? Maybe that will give me a hint about how I should spend my mana.
Last edited by DramaticBaby on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DramaticBaby

Postby caboom » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:53 am

i am just dinged 64 atm and the way i do it when i have low dps in the group, on trash i drop judging completely and just consacrate(max rank) and HS, if my healer can handle it and the mobs stay up for longer i even drop hs to consacrate more. i always start with AS and retri aura and it's always going ok, if some melee focuses a mob and steals agro i start with a JoR and SoR it after till it's dead, and a bit of taunt if necesary.

the problem for u could be that u take low dmg and ur healers suck, and u run out of mana quickly, u could swap out some gear with defensive stats with stamina ones, drink before most of the pulls so u can do some decent threat before ur oom, put salvation on all ppl that even get close to stealing agro. if all fails still, get more spell dmg.
caboom

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:03 am

While leveling my second tankadin, i realized that in pre 70 istances i could spam consecration while using SoW+JoW and hold aggro fine. A single JoR on first dps target was enough.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Malthorn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 am

Worldie wrote:While leveling my second tankadin, i realized that in pre 70 istances i could spam consecration while using SoW+JoW and hold aggro fine. A single JoR on first dps target was enough.

Totally agree... at 66 now and running all instances with SoW and JoW.. ran Durnholde last night with 3 lvl 70's... put salvation on 'm and had no problems with aggro using SoW and JoW.

Worldie wrote:While leveling my second tankadin.

:shock: omg... the only way I got through the boredom of levelling a pally is that I'm playing with my wife. How did you survive levelling a second one??
Malthorn

Postby DramaticBaby » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 am

Malthorn wrote:
Worldie wrote:While leveling my second tankadin, i realized that in pre 70 istances i could spam consecration while using SoW+JoW and hold aggro fine. A single JoR on first dps target was enough.

Totally agree... at 66 now and running all instances with SoW and JoW.. ran Durnholde last night with 3 lvl 70's... put salvation on 'm and had no problems with aggro using SoW and JoW.

Oh nice, I think now that my mana problems is a combination of wasting mana and taking quite low dmg = not many heals = low replenishing of mana.

Ty for the help! :)
DramaticBaby

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:44 am

Malthorn wrote: :shock: omg... the only way I got through the boredom of levelling a pally is that I'm playing with my wife. How did you survive levelling a second one??

first one i leveled as holy until lvl 64, second as prot already from level 10

+, one is alliance other is horde :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Malthorn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:33 am

DramaticBaby wrote:Oh nice, I think now that my mana problems is a combination of wasting mana and taking quite low dmg = not many heals = low replenishing of mana.

Ty for the help! :)

What also works for me is to not use holy shield all the time. I've noticed that in most instances the mobs hit like pansies and it only gets interesting on the bosses. Most instances I currently mainly use holy shield at the start of the pull with multiple mobs to gain some threat.

Haven't had a healer complain yet........ darn... not true.. last night the healer for Durn said he was bored cause he had almost nothing to do. I love being a prot pally :D
Malthorn

Postby Spectrum » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:33 am

I have problems with mana until raids. Even on many heroics the damage input just isn't high enough to keep everything going all the time. Here are a few tips:

Invis convinced me to run with BoW most of the time. Unless I feel like I need Sanctuary for lower level instances (not even that great until max rank) or want Kings (basically on heroics for more EH), then I'll use SoW for the regen.

Never use max rank consecrate unless you're with a really good group. Even then the only time I really use max-rank consecrate outside of raids is on AE groups. I find down-ranking two ranks worked fine most of the time I was tanking, and I only switched rank 3 for rank 4 on my bars when I started doing heroics.

Use [S/J]oW if HS and consecrate are covering threat fine. You really won't have to worry about threat until the gear level shoots up as people get epics at 70, or if you have someone much higher than you in the group.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Ciandin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:13 am

A few suggestions:

I have macroed my holy shield and consecrate buttons with /modifier commands; if I hold ctrl and click the skill, it casts rank 1 instead of max rank.

If you can, bless yourself with wisdom.

Sit down to take some crits.

Skip using holy shield for a couple rotations in the middle of the fight.
Fighting over the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win, you're still retarded.
Ciandin

Return to Basic Training & Talents