First post....Tankadin who is finally growing up

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

First post....Tankadin who is finally growing up

Postby slickmccool » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:04 am

Hey gang. Long time, first time.

I recently ran my 4th kara run, and my guild allowed me to MT it (while under the guidance of a well-geared druid tank who essentially was OT, and some well-geared healers). The druid was pretty much hands off the whole time until Prince, and due to being a little over 13.5 buffed (currently 11.8 unbuffed), she MT'd him because of her large health pool, and even did so only after my suggestion (she felt I probably could have done it, but i know Prince hits for 13k sometimes).

Needless to say, they all thought I did very very well.

So currently I have about 5 epics. so still nothing major, but I am even better geared than I was at that time.

My question is, what do I need to do to ensure I still remain viable. I have 1 tier 4 from gruuls, and badge loot, and a few purple drops. Do I buy badge gear, or wait for more t4 drops? Do I run heroics and try to buy badges that are on par with t5, to be ahead of the game. Also, I know I probaly have SOME outdated gear, but that is part of my problem; it seems that now that i am uncrit and uncrush, some good purples may give more stamina and block, or dodge, but i may have to sacrifice a piece that gave less dodge, but also had 2 red parry gems, for example.

Also, I am not good with theorycraft, metrics, numbers, ect. What do I do to start becoming better? Not just a tank, but "the tank". My guild is short fo them, and I want to be considered a go-to tank. It seems that all the guild officers, though, know so much about their class and the game as a whole. I have been playing for two years and couldn't tell you, for example, how to figure proc ratings and such.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know this is a vague post, so to sum it up: how to move to the next level, from just player to actual raider.
If you want to look at my armory, it is under slickmccool on Anvilmar (i am the only one that comes up).

Thanks!
slickmccool

Postby Levantine » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:14 am

Ummmm..... wow.
Levantine

Re: First post....Tankadin who is finally growing up

Postby jere » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 am

slickmccool wrote:Hey gang. Long time, first time.

I recently ran my 4th kara run, and my guild allowed me to MT it (while under the guidance of a well-geared druid tank who essentially was OT, and some well-geared healers). The druid was pretty much hands off the whole time until Prince, and due to being a little over 13.5 buffed (currently 11.8 unbuffed), she MT'd him because of her large health pool, and even did so only after my suggestion (she felt I probably could have done it, but i know Prince hits for 13k sometimes).

Needless to say, they all thought I did very very well.

So currently I have about 5 epics. so still nothing major, but I am even better geared than I was at that time.

My question is, what do I need to do to ensure I still remain viable. I have 1 tier 4 from gruuls, and badge loot, and a few purple drops. Do I buy badge gear, or wait for more t4 drops? Do I run heroics and try to buy badges that are on par with t5, to be ahead of the game. Also, I know I probaly have SOME outdated gear, but that is part of my problem; it seems that now that i am uncrit and uncrush, some good purples may give more stamina and block, or dodge, but i may have to sacrifice a piece that gave less dodge, but also had 2 red parry gems, for example.

Also, I am not good with theorycraft, metrics, numbers, ect. What do I do to start becoming better? Not just a tank, but "the tank". My guild is short fo them, and I want to be considered a go-to tank. It seems that all the guild officers, though, know so much about their class and the game as a whole. I have been playing for two years and couldn't tell you, for example, how to figure proc ratings and such.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know this is a vague post, so to sum it up: how to move to the next level, from just player to actual raider.
If you want to look at my armory, it is under slickmccool on Anvilmar (i am the only one that comes up).

Thanks!

Well, you probably won't like my answer, but basically to become "the tank", you need to get good with Theorycraft, metrics, numbers, etc. No slacking. You need to be able to understand the ins and outs of what stats to look for, when and where to use what types of gear and sets of gear. Don't wait for people to tell you what to get, or what piece is better, but go out and learn what it takes to make that decision yourself.

Once you learn that stuff, you can start figuring out which pieces of gear you need to get, and go that route, whether it be heroics, more kara, pvp, etc.

So start studying. There are plenty of stickies on this board. Check those out, the stickies/guides on Tankspot, read up on stats at wowwiki, and check up on gear at sites like wowhead.
Last edited by jere on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jere

Postby ulushnar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am

Read this:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... ic.php?t=7

Any gear questions, put here:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=7896

Try and identify your weak points. Best piece of advice I ever saw was from Lore early on:

If you're dying to massive burst damage, get more health. If you're dying because your healers are going oom, then get more avoidance.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Dimitry » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 am

Congrats!

First of all, if you haven't read the basic training sticky, read it. If you have, read it again. I still glance over it from time to time.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... ic.php?t=7

I also find the gear progression sticky to be incredibly useful:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=2652

IMO, buy the badge gear as soon as you can afford it! If you want to be "safe" and buy badge items that you won't be replacing with drops, a good place to start is the Slikk's Cloak. -- 35 badges and worth every one. You've also got a decent BP and legs, so you might want to consider getting the Sabatons fo the Righteous Defender soon as well.

I've got all of the T4 except the chest piece and I find that I'm still using mostly kara gear (iron gaunts, the tank legs) for boss tanking. The T4 is great for AOE tanking though.

Other than that, well, get everything you can. ;) Each piece of gear can have its place in your tanking wardrobe. I've got sets that tweak for block rating, AOE threat, avoidance, and soloing. Mixing and matching to the situation an important skill to learn.
Dimitry

Postby slickmccool » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:36 am

I really appreciate all the help.

I guess just stacking avoid and stamina, and becoming uncrit and uncrush was just the beginning. So you guys have been a big help. Thank you very much.
slickmccool

Return to Basic Training & Talents