Remove Advertisements

[25 Normal] Anub Troubles

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25 Normal] Anub Troubles

Postby Nspalee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:35 am

Our guild has gotten Anub25 down to 1% on several nights, but we've yet to down him. Any comment/critique would be much appreciated :D

Current guild strategy for the Anub fight is as follows;
Main tank holds boss. 2 OT, each grabs one of the adds during initial phase. Ranged switch to one of the adds from the first spawn, then back to the boss. 2nd set of adds comes up, each OT grabs another (meaning that one of the OT has 2 adds, the other has one). Dps focuses on the boss until submerge, then to the 2-add'd OT, then to the 1-add'd OT. We stack, aoe the little acid-debuff guys, then repeat. Phase three, we nuke any adds that are still up then focus on the boss.
We have a Warrior, DK, and 2 Paladins who are usually the tanks (I'm one of the Pallies).
Heals are usually 2 Druids, 2-3 Priests, and 2-3 Pallies, depending on who's on and what the fight calls for.
DPS - we have several hunters and several warriors, and a random scatter of the other classes/specs.

I believe that overhealing is the cause for our lack of downing this guy, or possibly lack of overall dps (almost all of our dps pull over 4k in this fight, but I don't pay much attention to it in general). Regardless, I'm curious as to any suggestions others may have. My first thought is to suggest to the guild that instead of killing the first add, have both off-tanks hold them until the submerge. I'm iffy on this, though, as I don't know if the dps would be able to take them down fast enough, especially with Anub running around being all spiky and evil and mean.

Another idea that's hit my mind - in phase three, as soon as any remaining adds are down, I raidwall and start stacking Corruption on the boss. Would the raid be better off with me DI'n the other off tank so as to take our health pools out of the aura, or should I keep dps'n? I tell the healers, before every pull, to not heal me during phase three but they always do (The one time they didn't, I stayed in AD territory for a good 20 seconds, occasionally casting FoL when I was getting dangerous, and I've never had AD proc in that phase).

Thoughts? Opinions? Cheesecake?

(Off-topic - I've been lurking these threads for a while, and have found them to be the best community around. Ya'll run a great site, keep up the good work. Thanks!)
Nspalee - US Vashj
Nspalee

Re: [25 Normal] Anub Troubles

Postby Wrathy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:19 am

Really, if you are successfully getting close to a kill, the easiest suggestion I have, and the method that my guild uses, is to drop a tank. You do not need three tanks for 25 man normal. Your healers should be able to keep you up if you tank all of them.

So, my suggestion is as follows: Drop an add tank, have the two paladins trade beacons on the two tanks for healing purposes, and if you have problems picking up both adds, have a hunter MD the farthest one away to you. This ill grant you another 4k raid dps, and a lot less healing on the boss in P3.

Also, This may be an additional cause to the massive amount of healing that anub is receiving, but if you are stacking up and AoE'ing the scarabs during the burrow phase, you are probably incurring a lot of unnecessary damage from the stacking Poison. Your ranged should be kiting and dpsing them, so that they never get into melee range of their target. If you have more than a few people with a 4-5+ stack of the poison still up during transition, you are probably healing the boss for a considerable amount come phase three.

Other than that, your strategy seems to be aligned with what most guilds do.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Anorian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:22 am

Also tank both adds on the ass of anub and let all the melee cleave them down, ranged shouldnt need to switch to the adds at all to kill them granting way higher dps on anub.
Anorian

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:41 am

Anorian wrote:Also tank both adds on the ass of anub and let all the melee cleave them down, ranged shouldnt need to switch to the adds at all to kill them granting way higher dps on anub.

Having ranged AOE the adds and Anub is the best of both worlds. That is, of course, including the melee cleaves.
Belloc

Postby glmacedo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:52 am

So with this strat the add tank would take care of all 4 adds before burrow and the adds would be downed when he submerges?

My guild is having the same problem...
glmacedo

Postby glmacedo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 am

Also... does anyone knows for how much each add hits on regular 25?
glmacedo

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:21 am

glmacedo wrote:So with this strat the add tank would take care of all 4 adds before burrow and the adds would be downed when he submerges?

My guild is having the same problem...

The add tank would pick up both adds when they spawn and drag them onto anub's rear. Melee classes use their cleaves and other assorted AOEs to kill them. Melee and the adds have to be positioned correctly for this to work (it's not difficult in the slightest).

Also, casters (mages and warlocks, at least) rain down AOEs on top of the 2 adds and Anub. The two adds die before the next two spawn. The next two die as Anub is burrowing.
Belloc

Postby hthomas13 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 am

glmacedo wrote:Also... does anyone knows for how much each add hits on regular 25?

Not very hard if a paladin with a block rating set is tankign them, multiplier on damage is applied after the block takes place, 800 dmg x225% = 1800 dmg. Expect that or a little less per hit (I personally get hit for around 1500 or less but the adds do attack quite fast (stuns help) Nothing to worry about on normal modes
hthomas13

Postby kanst » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:40 am

When we first did this fight the hardest part was getting healers to STOP healing...other then the tanks no one in raid should ever go above 50% health, as a raid leader look at groups health and constantly remind the raid to let the health drop.

I am pretty sure when we learned it the only sound on vent was me repeatedly saying "let the health drop".

If your 1 tank can tank 2 of them now just drop a tank, drop a frost patch on the bosses ass and have the tank go stand in there, that way melee incidental AOE will help kill the adds, have ranged nuke one then finish off the other who should already be close to dead.
kanst

Postby guillex » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:37 pm

kanst wrote:When we first did this fight the hardest part was getting healers to STOP healing...other then the tanks no one in raid should ever go above 50% health, as a raid leader look at groups health and constantly remind the raid to let the health drop.

I am pretty sure when we learned it the only sound on vent was me repeatedly saying "let the health drop".

If your 1 tank can tank 2 of them now just drop a tank, drop a frost patch on the bosses ass and have the tank go stand in there, that way melee incidental AOE will help kill the adds, have ranged nuke one then finish off the other who should already be close to dead.

We try to stay around 20%. This might be doable if your healers are competent ... Just remind them that when they heal anyone over 20-25%, they're healing the boss.

That should kick them into gear.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Olrïc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 am

glmacedo wrote:Also... does anyone knows for how much each add hits on regular 25?

I've read in an other Topic those numbers :

10 men N : 3k
10 men HC - 25 men N : 3-4k
25 men HC : 4k-5k

On our first tries on him we had a lack of overall dps that made us hit the enrage timer, due to the fact that we wanted to burn down the burrowers before P2...

What we did on our first down is that me and the other pally have put on our block gear (around 3,5k block value with HS up), for the first set of adds I take them to the ass of Anub which should be on a frozen path, the other set was tanked by the other pally on an other frozen path far from mine (because of the speed proximity buff).

As a result, all the dps we're only focused on Anub with my adds taking a lot of splash aoe damages. When Anub burrowed, all the dps finished down the adds and we kite the little scarabs in order to not get their poison dot, I usually taunt them and random stun them while trying to not get hit.

With this strat there is no dps loss by focusing the adds and the 2 OT take nearly 0 damage, on our first kill we were only 23 with 2 dps missing.

Next step is to bring the healers to calm down in P3...

Thank's maintankadin's forum for making me discover this strat ! :D
Olrïc

Postby hthomas13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:06 am

Olrïc wrote:

I've read in an other Topic those numbers :

10 men N : 3k
10 men HC - 25 men N : 3-4k
25 men HC : 4k-5k

On our first tries on him we had a lack of overall dps that made us hit the enrage timer, due to the fact that we wanted to burn down the burrowers before P2...

What we did on our first down is that me and the other pally have put on our block gear (around 3,5k block value with HS up), for the first set of adds I take them to the ass of Anub which should be on a frozen path, the other set was tanked by the other pally on an other frozen path far from mine (because of the speed proximity buff).

As a result, all the dps we're only focused on Anub with my adds taking a lot of splash aoe damages. When Anub burrowed, all the dps finished down the adds and we kite the little scarabs in order to not get their poison dot, I usually taunt them and random stun them while trying to not get hit.

With this strat there is no dps loss by focusing the adds and the 2 OT take nearly 0 damage, on our first kill we were only 23 with 2 dps missing.

Next step is to bring the healers to calm down in P3...

Thank's maintankadin's forum for making me discover this strat ! :D

This. But dont forget that is pre-Exposed Weakness.

And for the healers to calm down, ehh its a stressful 7-8 minutes or so, hopefully no anurisms (I can't spell). The healers do have to be prepared for Penetrating Cold and if they do not have addons that call that out it is quite difficult.
hthomas13

Postby Aubade » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 am

I think your numbers are off there.

10M Normal: 25-40%
10M Heroic: 15-20%
25M Normal: 20-30%
25M Heroic: 5-10%

Is the health you should be aiming for. for PC you should have all raid members with frost prot potions if their deaths are an issue. (shouldn't be for 25M but 25MH It's mandatory.)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Nspalee » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks for the strats everyone.

We've downed him 2x that I know of; The first time I was at work, and then the next week we got him down. They decided to have 3 tanks, with ranged focusing down one add, then the next, of the first wave; the rest of the time everyone was on boss. We failed to do it last time I was in there; on one hand, we had some sub-par dps and no bloodlust, but on the other hand, BL is imo a crutch to make things easier. If it can be done with BL, it oughta be able to be done without it.

I'd personally like to try to 2-tank this, but noooo let's not listen to Pally. *Insert lols and such here*.

Anyhoo, thanks for the input. I'm gonna try to get them to look at this and try to 2-tank it sometime in the near future :D
Nspalee - US Vashj
Nspalee

Postby kanst » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:09 am

Bloodlust is an interesting issue, between totems and bloodlust/heroism a shaman is almost a must have for 25 mans. Sure you can do it without one but they are so freaking good. We have actually brought in peoples alts on nights where the shamans dont log on.
kanst

Next

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon