Remove Advertisements

Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby inthedrops » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:19 pm

For those of you struggling with gear sets and/or add collecting. If your dps is managing to do their part why not go with two add tanks? There's nothing that says the only way it can be beaten is with one.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby makiwara » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 pm

We have two tanks, but that extra dps seems to be the way my guild wants to go. Also I'm still in the recruitment stage of my membership as that's what I was brought on board to do: Solo-tank all four adds. If I'm able to get the gear together and pull it off it would probably seal my membership once it comes time to vote me in. When my block set was worse than it was now on sunday, we did AA-hard mode and it seemed to be easier when we got to phase 3 to just keep me up instead of two tanks.

I guess it would make it easier if I could see an armory or someone could show me the gear that they successfully used to solo-tank the 4 adds.
Would you like to come in for a cupcake and a glass of wine?
makiwara

Postby Wrathy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:04 pm

makiwara wrote:We have two tanks, but that extra dps seems to be the way my guild wants to go. Also I'm still in the recruitment stage of my membership as that's what I was brought on board to do: Solo-tank all four adds. If I'm able to get the gear together and pull it off it would probably seal my membership once it comes time to vote me in. When my block set was worse than it was now on sunday, we did AA-hard mode and it seemed to be easier when we got to phase 3 to just keep me up instead of two tanks.

I guess it would make it easier if I could see an armory or someone could show me the gear that they successfully used to solo-tank the 4 adds.

What it comes down to is the fact that you need more block value to mitigate a bit more damage. The incoming damage when tanking all four adds is significant, and while learning the encounter, then less your healers have to worry about you, the more they can focus on learning their PC healing rotations (which is the last major hurdle of this encounter).

http://www.chardev.org/?profile=326399

Thats a Chardev link to the set I have used every week. It could technically use a few hundred more block value in it, but while my guild continues to wipe once to twice each week and insanity is still on the table, I dont like to change something that works. As has been said by others, some of the key pieces of this set are very painful to get as they are low drop rates off bosses in ulduar.

Good luck
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby makiwara » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Okay thanks for linking that. Helps a lot. Seems I'm not too far off. If I can get some more BR pieces I can put my T9 245 gear that has high block value on it and i'll be at around 3k block. Seems like I'm not as far away as I thought.
makiwara

Postby Neara » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I advice doin a Zul Aman chest run. The Ring is really nice vor an Anub set. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33499

And what i learned with single tanking the adds, every tiny bit counts. Even small amounts of BV make a huge difference in the DPS income. If your healers can barely keep up but are still able to heal you the 84 BV from the ring alone could make the difference needed. 84BV after debuff is a reduction of 189 dmg per hit. If i remember right 4 Adds together hit something around 12 time per second, and let's say you dodge/parry/miss 5 hits. 7 hits per second with ~190 dmg less -> ~1300 Damage per second less you take. just from a small ring. And with a tiny bit BV here and there more you will just suddenly step over a magical line where you stop jumping up and down between 100% and 20% HP ^^
That's one thing i really like about Anub hm you can really see the result of every bit of minmaxing.
Neara

Postby makiwara » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:07 am

Got lucky with Uld25 and Naxx25 drops last night. Here's my current set for AA-25 Adds. Not quite as good as the chardev link above but I'm close. I'm just lower on BV

http://www.chardev.org/?profile=334238
makiwara

Postby Dasphunk » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:08 am

Your set looks good. You have enough BV to tank the adds and should be ok doing so.

Only thing that you should change is putting agility on your boots, as stam is weak and bad in this fight for you. You also should get rid of that head enchant and get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29186 from Keepers of Time, unless u ain't got the rep to get it. This might free up enough space to get more BV.

Other then those two things, everything else looks good. Gl on killing Anub.
Dasphunk

Postby makiwara » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks for the info, and yeah :facepalm: on the boot enchant. I forgot there was an agi boot enchant.
makiwara

Postby makiwara » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 am

Update: Using the set that I linked in char dev and It was a night and day difference. We didn't down AA yet simply because we need more experience doing all 3 phases, but my survivability was amazingly better. Thanks for the info guys.
makiwara

Postby xxkinetikxx » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:27 am

Here's the set I've been using with much success if anyone is interested:

http://chardev.org/?profile=335533

And a link to a video of our last kill from my PoV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz625Ky-amo

If you blow it up full screen in HD you can see my damage taken.
xxkinetikxx

Postby d503 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Is DBM reliable for Shadow Strike yet, or should I just get Deus Vox?
d503

Postby xxkinetikxx » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:44 pm

DBM seems to work fine for us.
xxkinetikxx

Postby d503 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:58 pm

xxkinetikxx wrote:DBM seems to work fine for us.

While single tanking and interrupting Shadow Strike? The error I've noticed before is that it would not reset the timer appropriately, and you'd get randomly cast SS's after a while.
d503

Postby xxkinetikxx » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Well our comp has 2 Ret pallys that interrupt seeing as I'm no where near hit cap. I just asked them and they both use DBM times and in the past 2 months of us killing Anub I've seen 1 shadow strike go off and it was kinda buggy. If you watch my video you can see the SS go off but if you slow it down you can also see our ret pally throw the stun they teleport and are just stunned for a sec after the teleport. Was very odd. None the less DBM timers seem to be fine I've personally used both DBM and Deus Vox on 10 man and both are quite accurate.
xxkinetikxx

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:03 pm

d503 wrote:
xxkinetikxx wrote:DBM seems to work fine for us.

While single tanking and interrupting Shadow Strike? The error I've noticed before is that it would not reset the timer appropriately, and you'd get randomly cast SS's after a while.

I've never experienced this with DBM.
Belloc

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon