Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby Wrathy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:10 pm

I agree with Treck. You can be quite a bit below the unhittable mark and be fine. I went a little different avenue than treck and had to stack hit because I am the primary interrupter on the 4 adds that I am tanking, so I needed the hit to ensure that the HW were landing enough of the time. I have a back up and if i notice that I missed one I arcane torrent right away. But my original set had 53 hit, and that was just not enough
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:57 am

I just prefer having dpsers interrupting. But thats mainly cuz of my way of tanking if youve seen the vid i made. Also prefer not gemming or gearing for hit since id like the defense more ^^
On another note, i dont think Arcane torrent works, i remember trying it in 10man atleast, unsuccesfully.
But if it does, its sweet.
Treck

Postby inthedrops » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:41 am

This thread seems more relevent to my questions. Our pally tank left and I need to tank two of the adds. Until now I never had a need to know...

Q. Is the Holy Wrath "Stun" portion of the spell based on melee or spell hit? I see the stun is considered spell so I am guessing spell. I just need real confirmation before noobing it up. I also see the recent thread where someone mentions spell hit but he was also talking about casters interupting.

Details (feel free to confirm/disprove):
My spell hit rating is 92 unbuffed (3.507%). I need to get to 6%. Drenaei adds 1% for 4.507%. Hit food adds 40 rating (1.524%) for a final total of 6.03%.

Really I just need to make sure it's spell hit I need to worry about and not melee hit. Thanks!
Last edited by inthedrops on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:44 am

Worldie wrote:That's true but i doubt people will be bothering with ToC hc now that ICC is out >.>

I disagree for only the moment. With the staged wing releases. Things are cleared extremely easily and quickly. The content is not hard yet with no hard modes. Once more wings are released and hardmodes open up then I completely agree.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:56 pm

inthedrops wrote:This thread seems more relevent to my questions. Our pally tank left and I need to tank two of the adds. Until now I never had a need to know...

Q. Is the Holy Wrath "Stun" portion of the spell based on melee or spell hit? I see the stun is considered spell so I am guessing spell. I just need real confirmation before noobing it up. I also see the recent thread where someone mentions spell hit but he was also talking about casters interupting.

Details (feel free to confirm/disprove):
My spell hit rating is 92 unbuffed (3.507%). I need to get to 6%. Drenaei adds 1% for 4.507%. Hit food adds 40 rating (1.524%) for a final total of 6.03%.

Really I just need to make sure it's spell hit I need to worry about and not melee hit. Thanks!

It is spell hit, however if you are only tanking two (assuming you are using the two off tank strat where you position yourselves on either hind leg), then you dont have to worry about the hit cap. The cast is two seconds long and you have ample time to interrupt using Hammer if you miss one.

The only time hit cap helps is when you are tanking all four adds and their cast time is about a half a second long.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Base » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:54 am

I tanked this (all 4) for the first time last night after throwing together an emergency BR set when our MT pulled out.

However, it seemed like it was a nightmare to get the adds to actually stand in front of me and avoid the instawipe of two mobs walking straight through me and hitting me in the ass for 40k in 1/4 of a second.

In the end we ended up with a hunter misdirecting the mobs from each side on to me so I could just let them come to me (which didn't always work when they randomly wander round me and then come at my back).

Are they usually this tricky or is it a result of the weird mob pathing post patch?
Base

Postby Morendin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:13 am

walking through you: 3.3 bug
make sure that they are coming at you through the ice, rather than gathering them and THEN walking them onto the ice.

coming at you from 180 degree angles, making it virtually impossible to round them up without ass-gib: nature of the encounter
possible fixes, depending on your strat;
move the patch farther north
run to the south edge of the patch as the adds spawn and backpedal w/HoFreedom as you pick them up, since that will tend to make them run closer to your front.
Morendin

Postby Dasphunk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Even then they still can come around. It seemed like last week I had two attempts that they walked past me on ice and then gibbed me.

Doesn't happen often though or even because of this bug, Idk...
Dasphunk

Postby Wrathy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Base wrote:However, it seemed like it was a nightmare to get the adds to actually stand in front of me and avoid the instawipe of two mobs walking straight through me and hitting me in the ass for 40k in 1/4 of a second.

In the end we ended up with a hunter misdirecting the mobs from each side on to me so I could just let them come to me (which didn't always work when they randomly wander round me and then come at my back).

Are they usually this tricky or is it a result of the weird mob pathing post patch?

It seems like there are a few variables in your situation that you may want to switch up, and I have a few questions about your positioning to figure out exactly whats going on. Where are your healers standing? Are you on the patch when the adds spawn? and How do the adds get to you?

Basically the reason I as is because if you have your healers behind you, they will pull aggro first, and instead of the adds running towards the middle of the room, they will run towards the back, and this poses problems when you get aggro on them. If they are to the side of you when you establish aggro, you will get hit from behind. I always pick up the front two adds, the first with an AS, and the second with a HoR, and I get the back two MDed to me. Once that is done, the Rogues ToT me, and Im off to the races with SoCom.

Also you should never have to move during P1/P3, the adds should just come to you. If you move around too much you will run into problems with placement of adds. This is where the 3.3 bugg happens. If you dont move at all, then they have no where to predictively path, and as a result get behind you.

You have to remember that you have a fairly difficult and essential role in this fight and it takes some time to get used to it. The biggest issue for me was camera angles to be able to target the mobs when the spawn. The rest will fall into place after a while, just keep trying and you will get it.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby <Palad> » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:18 am

Banging my head on this still.

Many sub 5% attempts now just not able to put the finishing blow on him.

In order.

I usually melee'n Anub to keep DS up.
I Holy shield and Consecrate right as the ADDS are spawning.
I move back off Anub.
I taunt one.
I taunt 3 of a healer.

I wait just a second while they all come into range.
I Holy Wrath.
I Avengers shield while moving under Anub.
I judge while they are still at range.
I HotR soon as they step into melee.

95% of the time this works.
But every now and again the taunt 3 doesn't work and it seems like adds are going all over.
Is there anything I can do to make this easier?
How are you positioned to not have to move at all?
How long do your adds normally live? I've heard some say they die almost instantly while my adds usually only leave me a few seconds before the next wave spawns.

I'm using the taunt glyph.

I'm going batty doing this all night for each add spawn and not getting a kill.
<Palad>

Postby Belloc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:05 am

You're going to need misdirects/tricks if you want to do it reliably. Adds seldom die with more than 10 seconds before the next wave. 5 seconds is usually closer if you haven't gotten a kill yet.
Belloc

Postby Dasphunk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:55 am

Yeah, tricks/md will help a lot. Sometimes when you are just about to use RF, I mean like in a split second, another healer grabs aggro off an add or two and your RF grabs one add. This might be happening. Are you using SoC?

Add's should be dieing faster then, make the raids aoe dps focus a little more on adds so you can easily setup for the next set. Also, if one add is still alive, you can start to position yourself for the next wave, the one add should die(due to the aoe from dps) by the time the next wave starts coming.
Last edited by Dasphunk on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dasphunk

Postby Morendin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:02 am

As stated earlier, spec at least 3/5 reckoning. not only does it give you a ton of sustained threat, the extra SoC cleaves dramatically decrease the chance that any one add will only have cons damage in those crucial first 5-10 seconds.
Morendin

Postby makiwara » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:53 am

I'm trying desperately to get myself geared for the single add-tank strategy. So far I have a block rating piece for nearly every slot. Since my barely ever log out with the set equipped, I will just list the pieces I wear followed by my avoidance stats totaled:

T8 226 Helm
Nexus War Champion Beads (226 neck from Malygos quest)
T10 Shoulders (Working on getting T8 or any type of BR shoulders)
Shadow of the Ghoul (BR/BV Cloak from Naxx25)
T7 200 Chest
Bracers from Marrowgar in ICC25 (Trying to get hapless prey bracers from Naxx25)
Gauntlets of the Disobedient (Non-set BR/BV Gloves from Naxx25)
Fleshless Girdle (BR belt from Naxx25)
Wyrmguard Legplates (BR/BV legs from Conquest emblems)
Black Spire Sabatons (Boots from ICC 5-mans)
Band of the Traitor King (ToC25 Anub ring)
Signet of the Earthshaker (BoE BR/BV Ring from Uld25)
Lavanthor's Talisman
Onyxia Blood Talisman
Falric's Wrist Chopper (Mongoose enchant)
Neverending Winter (BR Shield from ICC10 Gunship Battle chanted with BR enchant)
Sacred Shield Libram (450 BV w/ Holy shield up)

Avoidance stats:
Defense: 579
Dodge: 23.08%
Parry: 22.23%
Block: 40.64%

This leaves me at around 13% under what I need passive to achieve 101.6%, however my block value is pretty low (Block stops 1881 damage). I'm reading that people are saying that I need around 3k damage blocked? This seems near impossible to achieve while keeping as close to the 98% passive I need for this fight. I'm also reading people saying that you might not need THAT much avoidance for this... So which is it? Where should I prioritize itemization? If I can get BR pieces for boots/wrist/shoulders should I swap some other pieces for my high BV items? like T9 Legs, T9 Helm, Sunreaver Defender's Pauldrons, etc? If I put those pieces on I'm at 22% Dodge, 22% Parry, 34% Block, with my blocks stopping 2634 Damage.
Would you like to come in for a cupcake and a glass of wine?
makiwara

Postby Morendin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:40 pm

unfortunately, the gearcheck to single-tank as a paladin is absurdly specific, and you need a few additional pieces to make it.
Easy: 213 T7 chest, Naxx BoE BV+BR boots
Medium: T8 226 shoulders, T9 245 head
really annoying RNG dependent: 226 BR+BV Uld belt/neck/gloves

you can skip 2, MAYBE three of the above if it's the right ones...but you need to get under 5% hitable vs 82 and over 3k BV unbuffed if you don't want to get utterly destroyed. Really, I wouldn't try single-tanking Anub adds with less than 3800 final BV and < 2% hitable.
Are there no other block tanks in your guild? the gearcheck is MASSIVELY easier with 2 tanks on different patches.
Morendin

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon