Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Fluoxie wrote:I've been considering making a specific talent build for solo tanking the adds:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZy0xA0zghsIufzxf0dbc

Any comments/improvements ?

Several
  • You don't have any points in Spiritual Attunement, which means you're dropping well over half of your mana regen. In all likelihood, you'll run OOM while tanking. You don't need 2/2, but 1/2 is probably mandatory.
  • Devotion Aura is a better choice than Divinity here, since it will mitigate damage that you'd otherwise need Divinity to heal you through. It also doesn't rely on your shaman or tree druid surviving to give the raid those buffs.
  • Judgements of the Just isn't as necessary since you won't have time to apply it to each mob, but it will help if there's nobody applying thunderclap. The two points you freed up for Reckoning by dropping JotJ don't make a huge difference in damage output either thanks to the way Reckoning uptime works.
  • Vindication, while single target, is spread by HotR if my memory is correct. I'm not sure if it has any noticeable effect on the add damage though, it depends on how their attacks are coded. If you have someone applying Demo shout, then I could imagine dropping this for Conviction, but the damage increase is small enough that it's probably not worth it.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:21 pm

Vindication (and Demo Shout effect for what it matters) has a significant effect on add damage.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Meloree » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:20 pm

theckhd wrote:You don't have any points in Spiritual Attunement, which means you're dropping well over half of your mana regen. In all likelihood, you'll run OOM while tanking. You don't need 2/2, but 1/2 is probably mandatory.

With 12+ Sanctuary procs per second? I find it unlikely that you'ld go OOM. But I haven't tried solotanking in a while.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:55 pm

theckhd wrote:
Fluoxie wrote:I've been considering making a specific talent build for solo tanking the adds:

Several
  • You don't have any points in Spiritual Attunement, which means you're dropping well over half of your mana regen. In all likelihood, you'll run OOM while tanking. You don't need 2/2, but 1/2 is probably mandatory.
  • Devotion Aura is a better choice than Divinity here, since it will mitigate damage that you'd otherwise need Divinity to heal you through. It also doesn't rely on your shaman or tree druid surviving to give the raid those buffs.
  • Judgements of the Just isn't as necessary since you won't have time to apply it to each mob, but it will help if there's nobody applying thunderclap. The two points you freed up for Reckoning by dropping JotJ don't make a huge difference in damage output either thanks to the way Reckoning uptime works.
  • Vindication, while single target, is spread by HotR if my memory is correct. I'm not sure if it has any noticeable effect on the add damage though, it depends on how their attacks are coded. If you have someone applying Demo shout, then I could imagine dropping this for Conviction, but the damage increase is small enough that it's probably not worth it.
Divinity also increases the healing that you do to the boss, last I heard.
Belloc

Postby Joanadark » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:12 pm

hahahahahaha, really? that's awesome.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Kaienn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:46 am

i prefer having warriors apply demo shout because of quite a few bad experiences i've had with vindication, while trying to tank adds and having some chain hit me post blocks for 2k then some hit me for 6k in the same second.

not exactly the most fun i've had while progressing on the fight.
Kaienn

Postby Ubick » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:18 am

While choosing between SoC and SoV when tanking only 2 ads, I find that SoC offers better snap threat in the initial pull, which is all that matters really, having in mind that after one consacration + hotr its almost impossible to lose the 2 ads.
Ubick

Postby Morendin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 am

The problem with JotJ/Vind is that they're designed to be single-target. you can, at best, keep JotJ on two mobs. by adding YET ANOTHER thing to watch and plan around? no thanks, I'll count on Frost Fever splash or make a warrior t-clap, even unimproved on all > JotJ on 1-2

Vindication is even worse, because honestly, you NEED -AP on ALL adds, they just hit too hard in a 4-tank scenario to go un-debuffed. Vind does proc from HotR, but not often enough to remain consistantly up on anything but your autoattack target. If you have imp. demo shout in the raid, Vind just does nothing 99% of the time. If you have non-improved demo, vind *knocks it off* and cockblocks reapplications randomly. I'm sure I don't need to point out how dangerous that is.

SA is definately not needed when 4-tanking(at 13 attacks/second, you get 26% mana back every second from Sanc alone :lol: ), and if you're careful with Plea it's not needed for split-tanking either. dropping it entirely for even one fight after it's been our primary mana resource for the last 3 years makes me deeply uncomfortable, but that just isn't justified by the mechanics in this fight.
Morendin

Postby Fluoxie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:53 pm

theckhd wrote:

Several

Finally killed it, with the spec that i posted.
- I had enough mana.
- MT paladin was using imp Devotion.
- SoC and yelling on vent not to overaggro helps :P
- Had a ret pala with Vindication.
Fluoxie

Postby Treck » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Yeh, for an Anub specific talentbuild, Spiritual Attunement isnt usefull, id go ahead saying its completely wasted points actually, Since youll be hit enough to refill your manapool 100x over and over ^^ Actually, i ran with that specc for 2 weeks after our first kill. Only fight mana became a problem was Beasts in wormphase, just low on mana, not depleted. Went fine in ulduar. Untill you reached General Vezax xD
All TogC 25man raids were easy to do it with, just got me off guard on the first Beasts kill we did after we downed Anub in 25man HC.
I also went without it in on my first Anubkill, with smth like that specc.
I however used SoCorru, Since it starts stacking on all 4, SoCom might do more dmg, or the same but i doubt it will be spread out among all of them, I prefer SoCorru since theres just no way i loose aggro after it starts ticking.
I still prefer to use my own imp Devo, mainly since our holypallys are rotating frost +AM, having the second protpally like yourself, thats no issue to specc away from however.
I havnt had a single overaggro since i started running out getting the adds.
Basicly taunt one, RD taunt the other 3, aoestunn + Hammer on one of the most left adds, then run into the frostpatch while all 4 beeing stunned.
And continue tanking them there, when you run in you refill Holy shield, drop a Consecration in the right place, and hammer them asap when they get onto you, they are not gonna overaggro that, and im doing more than fine without crusade. Once the adds hit the frostpatch and starts hitting me, i simply call for AoE, this is mainly for those aoes that have to be targeted, since then they know the adds wont move in position, and its just to nuke all the way.
I just dont feel that comfortable changing Seal with this going so good, and ofc i can do it in my normal specc nowadays.
The 2% critt from that specc is just not usefull compared to getting vindication up asap imo.
Treck

Postby xxkinetikxx » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:33 pm

Hello,

We're having an intermittent issue with anub'arak adds.

We use a druid MT, and I solo tank the adds. A few times now I've targeted one of the far add's and used Righteous Defense taunting that add, another and for some reason Anub turns around and nails me.

Could this be that he is spec'd into imp leader of the pack? Has anyone else had this issue?
xxkinetikxx

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 pm

It's most likely due to imp Lotp yes.

I'd recommend to wait until they actually target someone who is not the druid tank (which will happen 1 second after anyway) before using RD.
To avoid healers being gibbed in the while, let them be on top of the druid.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby towelliee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:18 am

Here is our kill tonight for Anub 25 Heroic. This is our 3rd kill. This is from my point of view tanking the left side adds. Got my Main Hand weapon as you see towards the end. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n7Nt8F8zUk
towelliee

Postby xxkinetikxx » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:57 pm

towelliee wrote:Here is our kill tonight for Anub 25 Heroic. This is our 3rd kill. This is from my point of view tanking the left side adds. Got my Main Hand weapon as you see towards the end. Enjoy

Grats on the kill. Could you tell me the name of the enemy name plates addon you're using?
xxkinetikxx

Postby Neara » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:59 pm

xxkinetikxx wrote:
towelliee wrote:Here is our kill tonight for Anub 25 Heroic. This is our 3rd kill. This is from my point of view tanking the left side adds. Got my Main Hand weapon as you see towards the end. Enjoy

Grats on the kill. Could you tell me the name of the enemy name plates addon you're using?

yeah i'd like that, too. do i understand it right that the nameplates of mobs that you don't tank are bigger? looks really useful

btw. wtb your damagedealer. I am lucky if i have ~5 seconds to get off the patch and grab the next adds.
Neara

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon