Remove Advertisements

Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: Tanking Anub'Arak heroic adds

Postby Arianne » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 am

Hmm.. I don't think there are any frost patches or orbs left over usually, but occasionally that does happen, so I'll make sure to remind people not to drop the far orb.
Arianne

Postby Wrathy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:14 pm

Aubade wrote:
Arianne wrote:Well, I'm picking up two of the adds myself. I use AS on the first one and then HoR on the second to pick up my two. I get them on the frost patch and then the shadow strike timer is up. I guess I just need to pay more attention to the shadow strike timer rather than moving

I assume you're picking up both on one side, something I do is stand outside the ice about 5 yards and get ready for spawn, as soon as the spawn happens I target the closest one and cast exorsim, as soon as Exo goes off, target 2nd and HoR. Save your AS for a silence in case your wrath misses.

Another thing to note is that there is only one or two sets of adds in all of the waves where the ss timer is close to the pick up timer, the rest of the time, you have a good 10 to 15 seconds before it should go off. If i remember correctly, it is the third set of adds that have a timer close to the spwan timer. It is just something that you will get used to as you continue to progress on this encounter. When I first started tanking, I was having the same issues, but you will get in the habit of always looking for the SS timer cool downs.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Arianne » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:49 pm

If we were planning on using 2-3 paladins chaining HW to pre-stun the SS, would we still need mind numbing/CoT applied to the adds? Has anyone done it successfully with just 2 stuns (I would think that the updated timers would make it possible)?
Arianne

Postby Belloc » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Arianne wrote:If we were planning on using 2-3 paladins chaining HW to pre-stun the SS, would we still need mind numbing/CoT applied to the adds? Has anyone done it successfully with just 2 stuns (I would think that the updated timers would make it possible)?

The SS happens on an extremely reliable timer. One paladin (with hit gear) watching the timer is more than enough to catch every single SS.

Mind-numbing wouldn't hurt, but if you're pre-stunning, it's wholly unnecessary.

If you do chain stuns, then make sure they're not all being cast at once. Do them in order.
Belloc

Postby Serv » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:14 am

as belloc said, if your are stunning proactive, you don't need any specific debuffs on the adds. We let a warlock use shadowfury on the adds, so neither me nor the addtank hast to bother with the hitcap.
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv

Postby Dem » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:20 am

After 2 weeks of DC issues screwing us over, we got him yesterday and I have one quick tip for those who are one-tanking the adds. Watch the repair level of your shield :oops:

If you get well into P3 on most attempts then it needs a repair after every 3 pulls. Take engineers & repair bots.
Dem

Postby Druski » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 pm

Hello, I've been reading through both this thread and the general Anub'Arak thread and understand both of the 2 core strats concerning add tanking: 1 tank on one frost patch or 2 tanks split on 2 patches.

my question is: if using the 2 add-tank strat, is aoe able to hit all 4 adds that are split 2 to a side? if not, how are you dpsing these adds? our raid tends to be rather melee heavy, so splitting the adds seems to lower dps too much. is this a positioning issue?
Druski

Postby Belloc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:48 pm

Druski wrote:Hello, I've been reading through both this thread and the general Anub'Arak thread and understand both of the 2 core strats concerning add tanking: 1 tank on one frost patch or 2 tanks split on 2 patches.

my question is: if using the 2 add-tank strat, is aoe able to hit all 4 adds that are split 2 to a side? if not, how are you dpsing these adds? our raid tends to be rather melee heavy, so splitting the adds seems to lower dps too much. is this a positioning issue?

If the adds are positioned on the boss' hind legs (as in the legs and the adds take up the same space), they will be in range of most (if not all) AOEs. This is also the sweet spot for avoiding additional haste stacks on the adds.

Once again, tank them on the boss' hind legs.
Belloc

Postby Druski » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 pm

thank you for the reply. my next question would be what have you found to be the most reliable way to position the adds? freedom yourself through the ice? run between the ice patches onto anub and then back 'em up onto the legs?

basically i have a very skeptical guild who is convinced that one ice patch with 2 tanks is the way to go. while im convinced that is basically taking the disadvantes of both strats and putting them in one. you still get the hasted mobs, so you still have to gear for passively unhittable. heals are split between 2 tanks instead of 1, and since we cant stack a respectable amount of bv, damage intake is considerable (we need to be topped off to take it, havent reached p3 yet so my warnings of this adding to healing anub is mostly unheeded). they are convinced to do this because we are melee heavy and dps is struggling to down the adds before the next group arrives. splitting the adds has them worried that we would lose dps in a situation where dps is already behind.

i have a BV set that is around 4.8k (~5.1k-5.3k depending on trinkets procced)..yet im forced to use my passive unhittable set which is a piddly 2.6k bv due to stacking all 4 on one ice patch. my damage intake is around double that of our warrior's in my unhittable set as well.
Druski

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:40 am

You can link them our video if they are "skeptical".

The positioning is pretty clear since it's from a lock PoV, and he has grid so you can see the HP of the 2 tanks not really dropping.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dem » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 am

The one add tank strategy is eminently doable, although if you can't get over 3k BV in your unhittable gear then you might be better off doing it with two.
Alternatively, a warrior tank is a definite option for the adds.
Dem

Postby Druski » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:46 am

would absolutely love to link your video. dont see it in this thread however, and after reading all 29 pages of the anub thread yesterday im not excited about searching through that again. any chance for a link here?

and yes regarding reaching 3k bv, naxx25 certainly has not been kind to me with block items. to make it worse, its all gear i had at one point and destroyed as new content was released. GMs only restored one item for me.

*edit: i believe i found the video. looks great
*edit2: thoughts between http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37872 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42987? i do NOT need the block rating from the talisman for my strictly block value set (though i do need it for my passive block one.) so it would be the on-use of one trinket vs the static+proc of the 2nd
Druski

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:04 am

Tell them that tanking the adds in one patch requires both tanks to be passively unhittable. Ask them if they want to farm Ulduar and Naxx-25 every week just to have a chance at getting one of 4+ required drops. Ask them if they want to deal with increased healing requirements (because tanking them in range of each other increases the amount of tank damage by way more than double). Ask them if they want random shadow strikes killing people in the raid (phase 3 transition can screw up boss mod timers on shadow strike).

Then ask if they'd like their tanks taking effectively no damage from adds, having 4+ seconds to interrupt shadow strikes (enough time for your holy wrath and avenger's shield), and still being able to hit all of the adds with your AOE.

Then tell them to actually research the fucking fight instead of expecting this shit to be easy.

As for getting the adds into position, I simply run out of my frost patch, exorcism the first add (and then judge it), hand of reckoning the second add, hand of freedom myself, and back up just past the hind leg, so that the adds will come to a stop right on it. No MD's, no tricks of the trade, nothing but me and my spells. It never fails and I constantly hear the word "beautiful!"

Good luck, don't let idiots control your raid.
Belloc

Postby Kaienn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Druski, pm me in game and i'll give you some tips :)
Kaienn

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am

Belloc wrote:Ask them if they want random shadow strikes killing people in the raid (phase 3 transition can screw up boss mod timers on shadow strike).

Deus Vox is extremely accurate for Shadowstrike timers. I really would recommend it to anyone attempting it.

As an extra note, now when anub is < 15% we stop killing adds and just zerg him down. Works wonders.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon