how do YOU tank koralon?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: how do YOU tank koralon?

Postby Lindreth » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:02 am

I've tanked him using all of the methods people have mentioned, and I personally prefer to tank him while standing in one spot and rotating him based on whether or not fire is under my butt.

I've done the standing still method while dpsing on my enh shaman, and honestly, the dps has to be pretty brain dead to not see the debuff/see the fire under them using that strat. I can confirm that there is plenty of space behind Koralon while using this strat.
Lindreth

Postby Widdox » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:58 am

We started by having the tanks stand in the corner of the room so that the fires wouldn't be on that damn mirror floor. And just having the tanks rotate when they got the fire.

Now I do basically the same thing except when I get a fire I don't rotate but I back up, essentially kiting him a bit. But not moving the entire time.
Widdox

Postby ydraw » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:38 am

I just stand still, and backpedal a little when a fire spawns under me.
ydraw

Postby Belloc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:24 pm

There are nooks (or, perhaps, crannies) all over the room, so I tank him at the opening to one of those (typically the one to the right of the very middle of the room, coming from the entrance). This gives tanks and melee a wide arc in which to rotate. When a fire spawns on me, I rotate. If another fire spawns, I still have enough room to rotate. I've never had enough fires spawn that my 180 degree tanking rotation is filled.

Code: Select all

___ \wall
             / | \  \wall
           M | | | T \wall
             \_|_/  /wall
                  /wall

So, basically, the boss is split down the middle. Tanks have a side, melee has a side. Plenty of room for both groups.
Belloc

Postby Macktruck » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm

I just kite him around the room Grobbulus style.

I tell all the ranged and healers to stand in the middle, and if they get in my way, it's their fault.

And if you constantly move him, then any melee that get in any fires are going to automatically move. And if they can't walk and speak at the same time...it'll show on the dmg meter.
Macktruck

Postby EvilChookie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:37 pm

I kite him in the uppermost left hand corner, and just squish around in there dodging fires. Occasionally you have to slide down a wall, but the boss doesn't move from the one position, he just turns a little - the fight is a cakewalk for DPS in this fashion. It's also easier for the tanks, since their biggest job is staying alive, and staying on top of one another.
EvilChookie

Postby Solam » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:19 pm

EvilChookie wrote:I kite him in the uppermost left hand corner, and just squish around in there dodging fires. Occasionally you have to slide down a wall, but the boss doesn't move from the one position, he just turns a little - the fight is a cakewalk for DPS in this fashion.

This similar to my method, only I go to the right hand corner and slide down the wall rather than backing myself right up into the corner.

Really, it sounds like all these methods are equally effective. The problem is simply dealing with the whiners who want you to do it their way. Screw them. You're the tank. Tell them you're doing it the way you're comfortable with and they should just shut up and pew pew. As long as the other tank is on the same page, Koralon will die.
Solam

Postby Eredor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 am

I find kiting him in circle not optimal because many raid people will have to continuously adjust their positions.

I like the "windshield wiper" tanking, moving him (when needed) back and forth on locations A & B. A-B-A-B-A-B-...

The predictability helps healers & dps.
Eredor
Maintankadonor

Postby Truthiness » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:20 pm

How do I tank him? Like this:

Not the place for that. Sorry.

Be helpful/constructive next time.

-Guillex
Last edited by guillex on Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truthiness

Postby yappo » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:03 pm

KIting him clockwise, mostly because it's easier to back out of flames than anything else.
yappo

Postby sakkdaddy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:51 am

Sidestep out of the fire, but don't move the boss any more than absolutely necessary. Dragging him around just creates issues for healers trying to keep range on the tank, and forces people to stand on the glass in the middle where the fire is harder to see.

You can just move out of the fire that spawns on you, and melee can do the same. There is no need to run the boss all over the friggin' room. And as a bonus, it makes your offtank's job easier too.
sakkdaddy

Postby Insane » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:30 am

I tank him in the middle of the room if casters or melee fail at it their own fault
Insane

Postby Belloc » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:25 am

Insane wrote:I tank him in the middle of the room if casters or melee fail at it their own fault

That's nice, and all, but you could at least be considerate enough to tank him somewhere where the flames are decently visible.
Belloc

Postby Njall » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:31 am

In 25 man? Face down on the pavement, dead.*

In 10 man, I either strafe Koralon back and forth or move in a circle about him while he remains stationary in the south corner with the other tank (moving together to avoid flame) or slowly backpeadling to avoid fire - but not enough to disrupt healing or ranged dps. The former if we have little melee dps and the latter if we're rogue and retadin heavy that night.

Njall

*stupid healer shortage...
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby hoho » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:06 am

Belloc wrote:That's nice, and all, but you could at least be considerate enough to tank him somewhere where the flames are decently visible.
Are people nowadays running around with their debuff bars and DBM turned off?
Leap of Faith:
Good news, everyone! We can now heal stupidity!
hoho

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon