Remove Advertisements

[Northrend Beasts] Preperation for HEROIC/HM Boss #1

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [Northrend Beasts] Preperation for HEROIC/HM Boss #1

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 pm

Torquemada wrote:Icehowl is pretty much a monster. The best attempt we had on him we started him with 2 dps down, and he enraged about 4 mins faster than BigWigs thought he would, at 40%. That was the lucky attempt, because he fixated on me twice, and PoJ saved my ass. I was the only person other than one priest able to dodge him without the speed buff, and if he doesn't get stunned you're probably going to have a tank death from the damage spike, not to mention the fact that if you don't you'll probably enrage from being down a player. Very tight dps race. I suggest all Paladins have PoJ for this, and everyone who doesn't have a cat form/sprint/ghost wolf/blink needs to strongly consider the 8% run speed boot enchant. It's pretty much a must.

You pretty much won't meet the DPS requirement if you lose any DPS prior to Icehowl.

I think the new enrage timer is 9 minutes, by the way. Icehowl smashed into a wall and got stunned, and when he came out, he was enraged. I exited combat at somewhere around 9 minutes and 12 seconds. I attributed the 12 or so seconds to the stun period.
Belloc

Postby fafhrd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:33 pm

Invisusira wrote:It's both.

ah, you mean like me *winkwink*
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Modal wrote:Wow, 10 tries on 10-heroic, and we woulda had it once if we hadn't lost a dps on worms (got Icehowl to 30% then berserk).

He's capable of doing 30% of your raid's damage?

I would like to meet this fellow.
Invisusira

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Invisusira wrote:
Modal wrote:Wow, 10 tries on 10-heroic, and we woulda had it once if we hadn't lost a dps on worms (got Icehowl to 30% then berserk).

Well... 30% really isn't all that far off. You've got 5 DPS pulling the most weight and two tanks pulling a decent amount. One DPS is a pretty huge loss, especially if it's a class that carries certain buffs with it (like a shaman).
Belloc

Postby Joanadark » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 pm

PsiVen wrote:
Why are people saying that faction champs are no longer tauntable? Thats 100% not true. I was taunting them perfectly effectively just fine last night.

They were definitely all completely immune to taunt on hardmode last night.

Beasts is on the level of the hardest of Ulduar thanks to the potential for screwing up and the extremely sensitive 3-stage berserks. I think it's tuned pretty well. We'll see how it is on 25-man, but I expect it to be painful.

thats weird, cause im looking at a damage meter right in front of me that says I somehow did 50k damage with Hand of Reckoning.
Maybe yours were on taunt DR? Did someone AE Taunt? Did pet classes have growl on?
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Vencedor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Every time I used Righteous Defense or Hand or Reckoning on Faction Champs, I got an "Immune" message...
Vencedor

Postby Joanadark » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:07 pm

maybe im looking at the wrong parse and getting confused with normal. double checking.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby fafhrd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:10 pm

Joanadark wrote:Did pet classes have growl on?

growl isn't a taunt!

540 is a minimum, not a cap!
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Boèndal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:38 pm

Joanadark wrote:
PsiVen wrote:
Why are people saying that faction champs are no longer tauntable? Thats 100% not true. I was taunting them perfectly effectively just fine last night.

They were definitely all completely immune to taunt on hardmode last night.

Beasts is on the level of the hardest of Ulduar thanks to the potential for screwing up and the extremely sensitive 3-stage berserks. I think it's tuned pretty well. We'll see how it is on 25-man, but I expect it to be painful.

thats weird, cause im looking at a damage meter right in front of me that says I somehow did 50k damage with Hand of Reckoning.
Maybe yours were on taunt DR? Did someone AE Taunt? Did pet classes have growl on?

Every time I used Righteous Defense or Hand or Reckoning on Faction Champs, I got an "Immune" message...

They were Taunt Immune for me also. Loading up our Log in a few minutes, but I am sure there was never a HoR doing dmg. (except Pets :oops: )
Boèndal

Postby Ziv » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:12 pm

Getting off topic with the discussion about taunt immunity on the faction champions. :?

Anyway, for anyone who has successfully downed the beasts on 25m, I'd like to know the tanking strategy you used; specifically, whether two or three tanks were used. My guild has been making attempts using two tanks... I feel we should be using three for obvious reasons (P1 debuffs and P2 taunting worms to clear debuffs.) Input?
Ziv

Postby Boèndal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Sorry for getting offtopic there :? (Brekkie I'll PM you)

We use three tanks there and it should work pretty well. Atleast it worked but people made other stupid mistakes. Unfortunately we had to end 25s and give 10men a shot because 25s were nearly unplayable this evening and 4 out of 6 wipes were because auf permanent lags und dcs. The two tries we managed do play the wormphase looked quite good and am looking forward to down them tomorrow. We had dps issues in the wormphase but i think it was more a problem of watching everything and realising hardmodes is harder than a real dps problem.
Last edited by Boèndal on Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boèndal

Postby Modal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:18 pm

Belloc wrote:I think the new enrage timer is 9 minutes, by the way.

Northrend beasts wipe

I'm pretty sure the timer is 8.5 mins. The link above is a World of Logs report for a wipe due to berserk (lost a dps who pulled aggro after worm submerge). Duration: 8:53.

Edit: that's on 10. Haven't tried 25, but I assume the timer is the same.
Modal

Postby Modal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Invisusira wrote:

Well, I forget how much health Icehowl has on heroic exactly, but this guy, if he kept up the same dps he was doing before he died, would have output over 1.15 mil damage over the rest of the fight (he died exactly at the halfway point, doing about 4.6k dps). He's generally our top dps.
Modal

Postby d503 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Ziv wrote:Getting off topic with the discussion about taunt immunity on the faction champions. :?

Anyway, for anyone who has successfully downed the beasts on 25m, I'd like to know the tanking strategy you used; specifically, whether two or three tanks were used. My guild has been making attempts using two tanks... I feel we should be using three for obvious reasons (P1 debuffs and P2 taunting worms to clear debuffs.) Input?

We were having no problems with survivability after 4 or so attempts. Here's what we did:

- 3 Tanks, taunting after 2 debuffs
- Starting when Gormok gets 4 stacks of Rising Anger, we apply an external cooldown to the tank that's taunting (wings, PS, Sac, etc...) to handle the first impale. They use their personal cooldown to help mitigate the 2nd impale (which at 4 stacks is hitting for somewhere in the neighborhood of 40kish w/o a CD).
- Once the Worms come out, I BoP our warrior tank so he can not have bleed stacks when he gets on the worms. And our Druid finishes off Gormok, using cooldowns as available.

The only problem we've had are DPS related. We are killing Snobolds right now as they come out, and it's potentially slowing down DPS a bit. Without BL, we make it to about 20% when the worms arrive, which is not doable, since the druid has to solo tank Gormok once the worms come out.

With bloodlust we make it to 5%, and easily kill him and are prepared for the worms. The attempt where we did this, we got acidmaw down, but had a good 80% left on Dreadscale by the time Icehowl came out.

We called it a night after about 10 attempts, as we were approaching raid end, but I think we made some definite progress.

We had some survivability issues when first doing the encounter, but once we got smart about applying mitigation cooldowns when he gets to 4 stacks of Rising Anger, those were easily mitigated, and the insta-gibbing basically stopped.
d503

Postby kakashi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:06 pm

We got 10 Man Down within 15 wipes. EU 4th This morning but probably gone down since.

As for 25 Man we wiped on this all night. Closest we got to the kill is Icehowl on 11% before he enraged. So Close.

We use two tanks and 5 healers. For the first beast I start off tanking and take 5 stacks (yes this is 25 Man Heroic). Immediately on the 5th the warrior taunts and I bubble and put up divine guardian at the same time.

The warrior takes 4 stacks and I give him Hand of Sacrafice. A Retri bubbles the warrior to get rid of the stacks. By this time boss is on about 3 Million HP. I then take 2 Stacks and warrior taunts taking 1 or two stacks. Then we start phase 2.

I am sure Phase 2 would be easier with 3 tanks however that would mess up the dps and we are already hitting the enrage timer. Nevertheless we usually get to P3 with 1-2 dead at most. Ice Howl comes out about 15 seconds before the worms are down.
kakashi
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon