[Northrend Beasts] Preperation for HEROIC/HM Boss #1

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [Northrend Beasts] Preperation for HEROIC/HM Boss #1

Postby Soranthalas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 am

Talaii wrote:Having three tanks helps a lot on the worms, too, for aforementioned reason: When tank #1 gets the flame/acid debuff, tank #2 taunts off him, letting him go do his thing without worrying about dragging around a fire/acid-breathing, puddle-dropping pet.

Yeah, we did something similar. I was taunting off our warrior when he got fire/acid from the mobile worm.

We were doing well on our attempts last night, but had issues with Icehowl. Without the speed buff, people had trouble getting out of the way in time. Did anyone have attempts on Icehowl and figure out how to avoid that charge?
Soranthalas

Postby Candiru » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 am

Get a paladin to DI the targeted person?

Seriously, it might work! (and you can combat res from a healer during the stun without loosing much DPS)
Candiru

Postby fafhrd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:25 am

We started with 3 tanks (warrior, pally, dk), but they said they weren't taking much damage at 2 stacks, so switched back to just the warrior and pally - I think they were switching at 3 stacks, with the pally doing some creative bubbling on herself. Seemed to be pretty stable for P1, and the tanks even lived for quite a while tanking the 2 worms while Gormok was still up. Rest of the raid was busy dying to acid/fire/snobolds though, so no progress into P2 past getting 1 worm down to around 50%.

This was on 25.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 am

Funtodin wrote:Now regarding 10m, I was assuming there would be trophies in 10m heroic... I'm a bit disappointed with no tier 9 (245) for 10 men raiders.

Misinformation.

The trophies drop in the tribute chest at the end. Same goes for 25-man hard modes.
Belloc

Postby Roots » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 am

Quote of the night, first pull on heroic after clearing normal 25 in a little less than an hour:
"guys... look behind you. GUYS! JORMUNGARS! TWO OF THEM"

Agreed that the timer was the best thing to happen to Northrend Beasts. Only one attempt we had gormok down before the worms came out though, so we'll have to work on dps more. 2 pallies and a 56k drood make it much easier.
Roots

Postby Vencedor » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:55 am

Anyone else noticing warrior tanks being absolutely destroyed in this fight?
Vencedor

Postby Joanadark » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:13 am

Why are people saying that faction champs are no longer tauntable? Thats 100% not true. I was taunting them perfectly effectively just fine last night.

I'm a little dissapointed by the tuning of the 10-man heroic version. My group was on Anub'arak with our entire 50 wipes still remaining. The entire thing was a complete joke. The differences between doing the normal version the way youre supposed to (i.e. not zerging it mindlessly) and doing the heroic version are almost non-existant.
All the abilities and stuff we've been theorycrafting about for weeks were either non-existant, trivial, or ignorable.

Anub'arak is at least sort-of challenging. Engineers are rediculously overpowered for it. We worked on it for a little bit and got multiple sub-5% (including one heartbreaking 6k hp wipe) wipes and then the group I was leading called it for the night because everyone was tired and it was past midnight, but the other group kept pushing and killed him and got [A tribute to skill].

Confirming that the Tribute chest drops tier tokens. (2 of them for tribute to skill, possibly more for the higher acheivements. The other group missed Tribute to Mad Skill by 2 wipes) They also got a 255 DPS 2-handed axe that reminded me of Hammer of Crushign Whispers.

Hopefully the 25-man heroic version will be tuned higher. we havnt tried it yet because of bad server lag on Tuesdays making it a risky idea. Many of the high-end guilds seem to be taking it slow as well and not blowing thier attempts. The odds are that ranking is going to be determined by who clears the entire instance the first week most efficiently, rather than by whether the instance gets cleared the first week at all. the european guilds have a distinct advantage because not only do the fights appear to be easy, but they've already had practice on all of them, and the chance to test the hard mode mechanics, unlike the US guilds.
Last edited by Joanadark on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 am

Vencedor wrote:Anyone else noticing warrior tanks being absolutely destroyed in this fight?

I'd imagine it has more to do with your tanking rotation than their class. In other words, the last people tanking are going to have it rough.

I noticed both myself and my undergeared warrior OT getting destroyed if we weren't using cooldowns at the end on 10-man. If I didn't have salv, divine protection, and ardent defender, I probably would've died just as often.
Belloc

Postby vya » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:45 am

For those of you saying that 10 man heroic is a joke and you cleared it last night, how is your raid geared? We're a 10-man only guild with some 10-man ulduar hard mode loot, and whatever triumph loot we've been able to get from clearing 10 man ToC each week and doing daily heroics. We haven't downed yogg yet in ulduar (just got to him last week).

After clearing ToC 10 man last night (killed anub on third attempt... first attempt not enough frost was dropped prior to the first burrow and second attempt the healers took the "don't overheal the raid" order a little too seriously), we went into heroic and got completely owned. We tried about 6 times before raid end time, and once we BARELY got to the worm phase by blowing bloodlust at the beginning of the fight, but our feral OT died about a second before gortok went down. All the other attempts gortok was at 400-600k by the time the worms came out.

Our raid is pretty decent at following fight mechanics after seeing a fight a few times, so I'm thinking that this was 100% a gear check for us. We had to go three healers even though our two main healers (pally and tree) are very good, and that hurt our raid DPS. My buffed hp with our raid makeup (no warrior for demo shout, no lock) sits at about 41.5k.

Anyway, are you guys roflstomping 10 man heroic in ulduar 25 hard mode and TotC 25 + tier 9 gear or in ulduar 10 gear? Because remember, this fight is tuned for guilds like ours with no 25 man gear to speak of.
vya

Postby fafhrd » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am

Vencedor wrote:Anyone else noticing warrior tanks being absolutely destroyed in this fight?

Nope.

We haven't tried the 10 man yet, wish we did though, the lag and the "multiple attempts get used up if you wipe on worms" bug make 25 rather painful.

What makes engineers OP for anub hard brekkie? Grenades or rocketboots?
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Belloc » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:25 am

vya wrote:For those of you saying that 10 man heroic is a joke and you cleared it last night, how is your raid geared? We're a 10-man only guild with some 10-man ulduar hard mode loot, and whatever triumph loot we've been able to get from clearing 10 man ToC each week and doing daily heroics. We haven't downed yogg yet in ulduar (just got to him last week).

After clearing ToC 10 man last night (killed anub on third attempt... first attempt not enough frost was dropped prior to the first burrow and second attempt the healers took the "don't overheal the raid" order a little too seriously), we went into heroic and got completely owned. We tried about 6 times before raid end time, and once we BARELY got to the worm phase by blowing bloodlust at the beginning of the fight, but our feral OT died about a second before gortok went down. All the other attempts gortok was at 400-600k by the time the worms came out.

Our raid is pretty decent at following fight mechanics after seeing a fight a few times, so I'm thinking that this was 100% a gear check for us. We had to go three healers even though our two main healers (pally and tree) are very good, and that hurt our raid DPS. My buffed hp with our raid makeup (no warrior for demo shout, no lock) sits at about 41.5k.

Anyway, are you guys roflstomping 10 man heroic in ulduar 25 hard mode and TotC 25 + tier 9 gear or in ulduar 10 gear? Because remember, this fight is tuned for guilds like ours with no 25 man gear to speak of.

Our 10 man last night one-shotted every normal mode fight, including Anub. Most of our raiders are Glory of the Ulduar Raider...s (10 man, of course). Some of our raiders have some 245 pieces from 25-man normal mode, but I, the main tank, have none. Our offtank was wearing a mix of 226 gear, a 232 belt, and a few 213/219 pieces (I consider him to be undergeared). Overall, I'd say the majority of our gear is Ulduar-25 normal mode gear. Our raid composition was slightly off-balance (our only melee was an enhancement shaman, we had 2 warlocks, a shadow priest, a hunter, and our healers were a resto druid, resto shaman, holy paladin... tanks were warrior and paladin).

We wiped quite a bit on beasts, mainly due to phase 2 deaths which resulted in phase 3 failure.

We did not clear the 2nd boss, though I do not doubt that we could within a few attempts if we were to try tonight.

As I mentioned above, our DPS wasn't as balanced as I would prefer, but that wasn't the biggest of our problems. Higher DPS, however, would've made the place a lot easier.

In conclusion: People rofl-stomping 10-man hard modes are people who are extremely experienced, especially in 25-man Ulduar hard modes... and who also have plenty of the gear that comes along with that (and 25-man Crusader gear). So, once again, ignore the rofl-stompers. They're the overgeared/overskilled players. It should be easy for them.
Belloc

Postby Torquemada » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:16 am

We ran into severe, severe server/instance lag tonight, which was punctuated by an instance server restart, followed by a realm restart. It was nice, tasty BS. As a result, we had to call it after the Twin Valkyr.

10 of us went back on 10 man and 1 shotted everything on normal, then tried for hard modes. I don't know how it works for 25, but the stacks in 10s are every 10s, so to do a tank rotation for the first beast, we were taunting with 5 seconds left on our stacks, so that they would drop just in time to start a new one without going above 2. That wasn't the problem.

We did ok on the worms, and found the best approach was honestly to just tank them the way we normally do, somewhat apart, but close enough that I could get over to the Acidmaw tank to hit him with the fire if he was poisoned. Had a few execution problems/unlucky knockbacks into acid clouds, but we got through that.

Icehowl is pretty much a monster. The best attempt we had on him we started him with 2 dps down, and he enraged about 4 mins faster than BigWigs thought he would, at 40%. That was the lucky attempt, because he fixated on me twice, and PoJ saved my ass. I was the only person other than one priest able to dodge him without the speed buff, and if he doesn't get stunned you're probably going to have a tank death from the damage spike, not to mention the fact that if you don't you'll probably enrage from being down a player. Very tight dps race. I suggest all Paladins have PoJ for this, and everyone who doesn't have a cat form/sprint/ghost wolf/blink needs to strongly consider the 8% run speed boot enchant. It's pretty much a must.
Torquemada

Postby PsiVen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:42 am

Why are people saying that faction champs are no longer tauntable? Thats 100% not true. I was taunting them perfectly effectively just fine last night.

They were definitely all completely immune to taunt on hardmode last night.

Beasts is on the level of the hardest of Ulduar thanks to the potential for screwing up and the extremely sensitive 3-stage berserks. I think it's tuned pretty well. We'll see how it is on 25-man, but I expect it to be painful.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby honorshammer » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 am

vya wrote:For those of you saying that 10 man heroic is a joke and you cleared it last night, how is your raid geared? We're a 10-man only guild with some 10-man ulduar hard mode loot, and whatever triumph loot we've been able to get from clearing 10 man ToC each week and doing daily heroics. We haven't downed yogg yet in ulduar (just got to him last week).

My guild is about the same spot as yours (cleared Uld10, some hard modes). We're a 10 man strict guild. In fact, we're ranked 38th in the US on GuildOx.com. (http://www.guildox.com/go/g.asp?a=4&s=1&w=US) Unusual Suspects of Altar of Storms.

Our experience was pretty much the same as yours. We got through normal one shotting most of the bosses, but Heroic humbled us in a real hurry.
honorshammer

Postby Invisusira » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:31 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Invisusira wrote:HARD MODE IS AWESOME

fixt

Oh I didn't say it wasn't. It's both.
Invisusira

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon