[Northrend Beasts] Preperation for HEROIC/HM Boss #1

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [Northrend Beasts] Preperation for HEROIC/HM Boss #1

Postby Talaii » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:54 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Invisusira wrote:HARD MODE IS AWESOME

fixt

Making each phase timellimited is the best thing they could do to this fight. Was kinda disappointed initially with it just being more damage, and then the gates opened and the worms came up and i was rofling :D

Fight is now awesome.

Got to phase 2 consistently but with sloppy p1 screwing us over. Think we'll get it tommorow if servers aren't down half the night again.

This. Except we got through p2, and died a couple of times due to people messing up and getting hit by icehowls charge. Icehowl isn't tauntable, once he kills a tank he starts nuking dps - I was waaay behind on threat because I was still tanking dreadscale as he came out, we consistantly had ~1mill hp to burn when icehowl came out.

We used three tanks on gormok, taunting at two stacks (occasionally someone would eat a third due to a taunt resist or general slowness, we'd just bop them if that happened. Tank damage is pretty insane, but once the healers got used to it we did alright; and we'd blow cooldowns (first tanks, then GS/PS, then Divine Sacrifice) for every impale after he hit 4 stacks of the debuff. Since you're rotating between tanks, you should have more than enough to go around.

Having three tanks helps a lot on the worms, too, for aforementioned reason: When tank #1 gets the flame/acid debuff, tank #2 taunts off him, letting him go do his thing without worrying about dragging around a fire/acid-breathing, puddle-dropping pet.

And yeah, having gormok + worms up just doesn't seem doable, your dps mark is him dying within about 10 seconds of them becoming active. That's pretty tight - if we got a lot of snobolds on ranged dps, we were right at it, although we were saving bloodlust for acidscale. We did the normal thing in p2 - burn Acid down, then dread; the enrage wasn't really any worse than on normal. Dealing with Dreadscale + Icehowl was fairly easy too, at least till the first charge, so the dps mark to aim for there is killing him before a charge.
Talaii

Postby Modal » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:55 pm

Wow, 10 tries on 10-heroic, and we woulda had it once if we hadn't lost a dps on worms (got Icehowl to 30% then berserk).

But mostly, little mistakes or bad luck made it impossible to get past p1.

3 stacks of impale is rough. I think you can't let it stack that high.
Modal

Postby Belloc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:09 pm

So, Northrend Beasts (10-man)

3 impale stacks early on is... silly, but not too bad. 3 impale stacks later on is death. You need to start cycling cooldowns to handle the impales later in the fight, because they hit REALLY HARD. I am not talking about stacks here, I am talking about the impale ability itself. But, yeah, don't get more than 2 stacks. Also, he is IMMUNE TO DISARM.

Perfect your Burning Bile/Poison strategy, because that is the hardest part of the fight. 90+% of our wipes were caused by phase 2 deaths (phase 2 deaths = not enough DPS to beat the enrage).

Icehowl: No speed increase after the stun wears off. Yup, you have to actually pay some attention and move your ass if you want to avoid the charge. Also, Icehowl is taunt immune. He doesn't hit nearly as hard as I would've expected. If you can make it to Icehowl on time, this is the easiest part of the fight.

Oh, and spread out around Icehowl. I started off tanking him in the middle, but I abandoned this after he started charging. Just spread out around his back and to his sides.
Belloc

Postby Rokh » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:14 pm

We found that blowing blood lust in P1 and ignoring kobalds we could get to the worms with the entire 25 raid alive and ready to go... The worms are currently our bane as the fire debuff also procs 'stupid' and causes people to run in random directions.
Rokh

Postby Belloc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:23 pm

If it allows you to skip some of the insane impale damage, that's not a bad idea.
Belloc

Postby sfrog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Timer for the worms to come out (at least for us Shadowsong US) was 2min 30secs from when Gormok went active exactly.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby smeej » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:03 am

In Heroic 10:

Beat Northrend Beasts with the same strategy as normal. Standing in Gormok fire applies a dot to you and he appears to be disarm immune? Two shot.

Jaraxxus... aside from the obvious stuff YOU HAVE TO DPS DOWN THE PORTALS NOW. We had five Mistresses spawn before we realised what had happened. So the big change for us here was all DPS burn down the portals and adds now, where it used to just be a ranged duty. Three shot this guy.

Faction champions appeared to be taunt immune and have more hp. One shot them.

Twin valkyr.... I don't even want to talk about it. Now THIS is a hard fight. The best we did was getting them to 60%, after making it mandatory for DPS to get the surge powerup before dpsing and using bloodlust on the first shield. We'll probably do better when we aren't fighting them at 3am, anyway.

Got my normal mode Ardent Defender and my heroic Fortitude of the Infernal!
smeej

Postby Tieran » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:21 am

I have read some interesting tactics on Twin Vals:

Both of them tanked on the same side etc - but I won't say more because I have no way of confirming it to be true or false.

GZ on the loots though :)
Tieran

Postby Passionario » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:30 am

<disregard this>
Last edited by Passionario on Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby smeej » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:46 am

Tieran wrote:I have read some interesting tactics on Twin Vals:

Both of them tanked on the same side etc - but I won't say more because I have no way of confirming it to be true or false.

GZ on the loots though :)
That's what we do in normal. I think one of the keys is to spread the raid out a little bit so the orbs aren't blowing up on the entire raid, as they do a good bit of damage. But everyone has to be able to hit portals to break down shields and absorb vortexes and arrrgh. Hate.

Sorry about the TV talk, I guess this is a proper Northrend Beasts thread again XD
smeej

Postby mclem » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:04 am

Arkhen wrote:- The stationary Jormungar is going to own the raid if peoplearen't spread out. The acid will do about 5k every 2 seconds. If 1-2people have it, it's healable. But if 5 people are grouped up and getit, healers are going to struggle keeping them up along with the tanks.The burn debuff is really an issue though, because multiple people inthe raid with it are going to blow each other up. Burning Bile is 9kdamage every 2 seconds to anyone within 10 yards. That is instant deathfor the raid if even a few people get this.

One of the things that's always felt a bit rough around the edges on our normal-mode kills is the melee on the worms; since we've been doing the kill-one-and-heal-through-the-enrage method, they've been rather grouped up, and occasionally they'll all eat the debuff. While we can work with that in normal, it sounds like that's going to be suicide in heroic. Obviously splitting the DPS to try to kill both simulataneously will alleviate the dangers somewhat, but is there anything else we ought to take into account to try to minimise the risk to our melee?
mclem

Postby Markoh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:45 am

andx wrote:
Arkhen wrote:Well this is for all hard modes

Missing faction champs. Whats the deal with them?

We split up into 10 mans last night instead of trying the 25. Faction champions are not tauntable in heroic, so get your ret/holy gear ready. We ended up wiping b/c we had two tanks still so we couldnt burn them fast enough, but after we figured it out and the dk went blood and I went ret it was easy.

The rest was pretty simple, just the normal version with more life/damage, the only other thing I can think of is on jarraxus the portals and volcanoes are now targetable so you need to burn them quickly or they will release multiple of the adds.

My impression over all for hard 10 man is it's way too easy. 43 attempts left when we downed anub, I hope the 25 man is much harder.
Markoh

Postby mclem » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:55 am

Markoh wrote:Faction champions are not tauntable in heroic, so get your ret/holy gear ready.

Just to check: Death Grip?

Rather miffed that they're not tauntable, I might want to work on a proly-esque spec to get decent performance out of the fight.
mclem

Postby Soranthalas » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:01 am

Worldie wrote:I was curious so went on wowhead and checked skills, they all match what stated by tankspot.

Now, talking about Gormok, i'm wondering if the time between each application of the DoT has been increased in heroic, cause else if you taunt every 2 stacks you'll incurr into taunt DR

We used 3 tanks last night and taunted after every two, so it wasn't a problem.

I think we went through all 3 tanks twice before the he was dead (give or take one taunt), so I don't think two tanks could do this with BoP/DS. Both tanks would have to take the boss a third time with no way to clean the debuff.
Soranthalas

Postby Funtodin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:05 am

We had a 3 tank group with me and 2 warriors, and they were being both raped by the impale and the stacking buff on the boss.
We were also forced to use bloodlust to get out of phase 1 on time before the 2 jormungars came in.
And after that it didn't get any better, as the burning bile and the stacking fire rape the raid and make it incredibly hard to remove the paralytic poison without killing everyone in the process. We'll have to figure out our positioning to reduce raid damage and make it possible to keep the poison/bile combo under control.

Now regarding 10m, I was assuming there would be trophies in 10m heroic... I'm a bit disappointed with no tier 9 (245) for 10 men raiders.
Funtodin

PreviousNext

Return to T9: Argent Coliseum / Koralon