Remove Advertisements

Yogg phase 3 strategy

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Yogg phase 3 strategy

Postby Magnusharkov » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:22 am

Hey guys, I was just wondering how you all typically approach phase 3 of yogg, I know there are multiple strategies. I'm in a guild where we have only killed yogg once but quite often get to phase 3 and hit enrages (with brain room done in 3 phases). Even with a clean transition from 2 to 3 we really seem to struggle getting him down in time so I guess our strategy is to blame.

What we typically do is have all dps stand very close to Yoggs mouth, tanks just in front and healers at the door. Randed dps yogg from point blank range and swap to adds for a second or 2 of dots as they turn around. Melee are constantly on adds and getting splash dps on yogg.
This seems to go ok but on a typical attempt we lose a handful of melee over the course of the phase due to pickup aggro on adds, then with a few melee down the adds gradually stack up and we may have say 4 alive at once which then requires some ranged dps to break off and help clear.

I often think that we are letting Yogg heal way way more than he should be as phase 3 seems to go on forever, is our strategy just dumb? How do you guys do it?
Magnusharkov

Re: Yogg phase 3 strategy

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 am

The thread title wasn't clear to pick out, but we discussed this a lot here.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby kanst » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:46 am

Pickups are key, you really cant screw them up. If you screw up add pickups you will have issues. Now this could come down to 2 things, the tanks could be slow, or the melee could be stupid. Make sure they know not to hit divine storm/whirlwind/whatever right as a new add comes in.

What our guild does is a two tank strategy. I am the pally tank, and it doesnt matter who the other tank is, I pick up every single add, with hand of reckoning, exorcism, avengers shield I have plenty of ranged pickups. So I grab every add standing next to the MT, I may hit em with a Shield after I pick em up, the mt keeps taunting them off me one at a time and puts threat on them while the melee burn them down. We have ranged sit the boss the entire time, healers stand in the back with their back to the boss the entire fight (except disc priests and the stupid penance). If the adds start piling up a little, basically if we have 2 at full health, everyone switches and burns them until we catch up.

Picking the adds up is a pain, when we tried to alternate the tanks kept losing count and taunting each others and had issues building threat on them. Since pallies have plenty of ways to aggro a ranged dude I just took over. Its a pain but that way I knew I had to get every add but I didnt have to worry about putting threat on them.
kanst

Postby Magnusharkov » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 am

cheers guys, I guess we are on the right track. Would anyone be able to explain to me the exact mechanics of Yoggs healing abilities in phase 3? Maybe there is something we are missing there.
Magnusharkov

Postby Belloc » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:26 am

Yogg will cast Empowering Shadows every 45 seconds on up to 5 adds (expect it to be on 5 adds every time). Adds will be marked at the 35 second mark and the heal will occur 10 seconds later. It's an AOE heal (20 yards) that will heal for about 750,000 (according to Wowwiki) per application. In other words, if you're getting stacked up to 4 adds, you are falling way behind on DPS. Realistically, you should never have more than two adds up at once. Perhaps a 3rd add that had just spawned and isn't being tanked yet. Regardless, the heal should NEVER go off.

If melee are dying, that's the problem. They are failing your raid and you need to get that point across. If they can't hold off for 1 second when a new add arrives, why are they in the raid to begin with?

Also, I suppose your tanks could pick up the adds a bit better... but I'd place most of the focus on melee DPS. I have died to the same thing and it was completely my fault. Don't tolerate it.
Belloc

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon