Remove Advertisements

[10] Yogg Saron

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Yogg Saron

Postby Bladeheart » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi all,

Our 10 man group had our first encounter with this bad boy yesterday, needless to say, we got spanked real hard. We spent like 2 hours just to get everyone to keep moving and to avoid the big bad clouds, and on phase 2, it seems everyone gets disorganized - peolple dying from constrictors, crushers not dying...i think the melee group just went into the brain phase and got to the brain around what, 5 seconds before induce madness was cast.

Anyway, just some quick questions on the phases:

1.) Phase 1 - Raid is on the move and always are on the lookout for clouds. We pickup the guardian dps him on the raid, then when the guardian is at 30-40% health or so, I move him to the center and let him die from the dots, etc. Any ideas other than this? I tried tanking the mob in the mid near Sara, but ranged couldn't bring them down fast enough before the second and third add spawned. Pretty much our problem was people getting caught up in the clouds...do melee just need to stack onto the rdps and wait for the mob to be brought to them?

2.) Phase 2 - Starts out messy, people still don't know the priority fo the tentacles...should it be Crushers (ranged) - Corruptors(melee), then when someone gets contricted hard switch? Our RL told us only Ranged goes near the crushers, and leave it untanked (while I read I should hit it, run back to disrupt diminish power while it's dps'd down). Does the raid split up (ranged and melee) to hunt for their appropriate targets?

3.) Phase 3 - never got to it, read about it, but we've to wait and see how we fare on it.
Bladeheart

Re: [10] Yogg Saron

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 pm

P1: We tank the adds in the center - everyone dodges clouds. We started with the drag method, but the mobs went *poof* in what seemed like 3 seconds - no time to move them.

P2: Tank and ranged DPS take down the Crusher tentacles. Anyone in a Constrictor gets busted out. When the Crusher is dead, remaining time before next Crusher spawn is spent on Corruptors. Melee and 1 healer go in the portals, kill the adds, and DPS the brain.

P3: Stack up ranged and healers at max range. Tank is positionied between them and Yogg. Tank grabs the adds as they come in, melee DPS takes them down. If you can spare a melee or two for Yogg, go for it.

You really don't want a crusher up for P3. If you are not taking down each crusher before the next spawns, you are too light on ranged DPS, or they are not focusing.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Belloc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:09 am

If you can get a healer to top off all your melee (including, on occasion, putting hots on them before they go), there will be no need to bring a healer into the brain room. In fact, doing so will cause more problems for your ranged. Less DPS in brain room --> longer time to kill all the influence tentacles --> phase 2 stuns occur later and last less time --> more brain phases required --> more tentacles spawning --> less DPS done due to crusher tentacle overlap (having more than one up at a time).

There are very few causes for death in the brain room, and the majority of them are player error. If a player spends too much time facing skulls, they could die. If a player (or more!) is slow in getting into the brain room, the other players will end up killing more tentacles and, as a result, dealing more damage to themselves. In other words, everyone needs to get there and do their job. If one person fails, they may end up screwing over the rest of the group.

If you've got a ret in the brain room, he should be perfectly capable of keeping himself (and his partner) alive. Any player can easily stop and bandage before moving onto the next tentacle. If someone dies in there, it's because they killed themselves. And it will seriously piss off any decent raid leader when this happens.
Belloc

Postby Jasari » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:24 am

Ret Pallies and Blood DKs are OP in the brain room, but even with rogues and warriors you shouldn't need to take a healer in.
Jasari

Postby Meyrinn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:53 am

I swear some DPS are just brain dead. We usually send in Ret Pals and/or Ele Shaman for the brain room healers. But some DPS just run off half dead and start DPSing instead of waiting 2 seconds for the Ret or Ele to top em off inside, then they qq when they die from self inflicted damage. Most of the time people are already topped off inside and they have health stones/pots anyways. But, it just kills me when a DPS kills themselves from that reflected damage. I was in there as a Ret once for a 10 man, and the stupid rogue Fok'd his adds in the room where they are grouped in 3s to death in like half a second then went to help with another group and killed himself. Our policy is kill 3 then go for the brain room even if others aren't done yet. That way if everyone gets topped off once they won't die. I didn't expect him to kill himself after his 3 were down so I didn't heal him up.
Meyrinn

Postby Bladeheart » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Great read, especially the p2 and p3 strats.

I'm still not that confident on the raid sitting in the middle, we still tend to pull quite a few clouds from time to time.

Hopefully our Yog attempt this weekend will be good. :)
Bladeheart

Postby Smite-Turalyon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:12 am

When our guild first started attempts we found we lost way to much dps time killing near the entrance and dragging into the middle. We also found we sometimes lost a mob (didn't blow up on Sara) due to overzealous dps during the drag.
Tanking in the center we found to be the best approach by far and dodging clouds was something it took a while for people to get for some reason. With the nerfage you can still overcome a few extra spawns but this is just an aspect of the fight people have to learn.

I agree with above posters that ret and blood dk's is OP in the brainroom. If dps is topped off before they go in, they should be fine. They do know to not look at the skulls to avoid the extra dmg right? ;)
Smite-Turalyon

Postby Bladeheart » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:44 am

I told the raid we'd be tanking it in the middle for this night's attempt, and after wiping 3 times and some semi hostile comments, I told em we'd have it a last go. We did better and managed to reach p2 quickly. After a few attempts we got down yog to 44% then my OT and 1 melee dps had to go.

Anyway, we had 2 of our guildies fill the void, but for some reason, the clouds are tagged this time by a horrendous number. Spent an hour wiping on phase 1 and we didnt reach p2. I just tell melee to stack on me while I stay ahead of the cloud near Sara. Is that the ideal way? Some of our melee though still run back if they see a cloud, and accidentally tag one. >.< Kind of frustrating after seeing Yogg down to 44%.
Bladeheart

Postby Sanctius » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:35 am

Tactics for this fight vary massively from guild to guild so it's impossible to say what will work for everyone, but I'll pop up a rough guide to how we work it easiest (from a tank + healer point of view at least) Please bare in mind that our way does involvement a very quick reflex group who don't have issues with movement.

This is not ment to be a detailed guide: It's more of a "I stand where and do what?!" description of the fight - aimed - oddly enough - At tanks.

Group setup:

Tanks: Warrior + Paladin
Healers: Disc priest, shammy, druid
DPS: 2 melee, 3 ranged (obviously the class setup here isn't too crucial but don't be silly :P)

Phase 1:

Warrior stays on top of Sara while only moving around her to avoid clouds. I do most of the movement out of the two tanks here as I pickup all the adds and drag them back to Sara where the warrior taunts them from me and DPS finishes them off. The ranged start zerging the mobs as soon as I have them on me and melee are ready to interrupt and back off before the mobs explode as much as they can. We put a mark on one of the rangeds heads and they all stick together. This makes healing much easier if the adds to manage to cast their shadow aoe.

Phase 2:

We have our 2 melee heading into the brain room and as we have 3 healers for this encounter we can afford to put a healer in if they aren't a self healing clas (ret pally, enhance shammy, dk and maybe feral kitty?) Meanwhile in the main room we all stay in a group killing with this priority:

"Grabby guys" > "Fat guys" > "Skinny guys"

I can't remember their real names off the top of my head sorry - But that's the description we use as it's fairly simple to remember lol

Ranged are always on "Fat guys" and me and the warrior tank do the grabby guys and skinny guys are these are fairly simple to take down in time

I'm not exactly sure what goes on in the brain room as I'm always in normal room but as this is a tank thread - Why explain it when you'll never be in there :P

Phase 3:

This for me is more tricky for us tanks. The other tank seems to burn out sanity very quickly - Perhaps he gets hit by yogg's glare which sucks it up - I'm not 100% sure but he seems to need to regen it about 2 or 3 times as much as me :( Basically what we do is the same as Phase 1.. I do the running - He does the main tanking of them - Until his sanity is low, at which point I tank until he's done and visa versa. Many people disagree with this and say that both tanks should just free for all it and tank what comes their way but I find my way gives the healers an easier time as the tank taking the brunt of the damage isn't running around and so healers can stand still. (I was a healer up until about a month ago so this is from my healer PoV as well :P)

We save our heroism for this phase as it's really the burn phase of 10 man in my opinion. We put the 2 melee on yogg alongside a ranged - generally a mage if we have one. The mage swaps onto the adds if adds are getting too much for the remaining 2 ranged dps.

Rinse and repeat until he dies :)
Sanctius

Postby Aubade » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:35 am

hmm for 10M I think it's quite a bit easier (Assuming you're doing all 4 watchers up.) to solo-tank this fight.

P1. Have your raid learn to avoid green clouds and tank the adds right next to sara, pretty self-explanitory.

P2. pre-assign your melee DPS and have them go to their assigned sides of Yogg 15-20 seconds before Brain room opens up, have your ranged move as a group(can't stress this enough) moving around the room Killing crushers #1 priority (tank these with the lancing method). Once crushers are dead clean up corruptors (this gets substantially easier as your melee learn each different brain room and how to do it faster.) Constrictors are burned down as they come in a higher priority than crushers.

P3. This is where the tanking magic happens.
Now, I don't understand how your warrior is losing any sanity at all, I have successfully tanked this phase and not lost a single point of sanity.
Tank your adds right next to the boss and make sure you are always facing away, as your adds come in have melee switch right off and burn them down.

For add positioning
1. If they spawned in your raid group - Cheer and be glad becuase you do nothing but taunt and start your rotation.

2. If they spawned behind you zoom out and target them, Taunt as soon as they come in range.(You don't ahve to be facing them to taunt.) As they come in, move forward away from yogg and quickly backstep to the boss so they are in front of you (if yogg isn't casting Gaze you can turn and strafe away and back.)

?????

Collect loot.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby amh » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 am

Aubade wrote:2. If they spawned behind you zoom out and target them, Taunt as soon as they come in range.(You don't ahve to be facing them to taunt.) As they come in, move forward away from yogg and quickly backstep to the boss so they are in front of you (if yogg isn't casting Gaze you can turn and strafe away and back.)

I find it easier to let them pass me before I taunt. Don't have to be more than a step, but just so that you don't have to move at all. I park my arse right on Yogg and don't move much for the rest of the fight.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

I'd like to do that too but I don't run with the taunt glyph so I don't want to risk a resist
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon