[25] Auriaya destroys raid - help

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25] Auriaya destroys raid - help

Postby Arees » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:18 am

I just don't understand what the problem is here. We always start on the right side for consistency. We have 6 healers and me, a DK, and warrior tank. I am tanking Auriaya.

For the pull, the DK throws d&d down and runs back out of los with us other 2 tanks. I pick up Auriaya and the first cat to be killed. The dk picks up 2 cats, and the warrior 1. After my cat dies I HoR one by one the other cats to me and the dps kills them.

Really, we've got the pull down. We don't have problems with tanks dieing, but with dps and healers dieing. Our biggest problem is the sentinel blast. We have 2 shammies and 1 priest in raid. We put all the interrupters in the group with the shammies and the the priest would put fear ward on a rogue whenever it was up. The problem is though, that tremor totem 'ticks' and a lot of times, we all get feared and run away some before the totem ticks to break the fear. It seems like she uses sentinel blast right as the fear wears off. We had several times where the tremor totem ticked right before the fear and there was no one in range to interrupt, and sentinel blast killed half the raid.

The other big problem is the feral defender. It seems to kill everyone. At first, we were killing it, but we were wiping with Auriaya at like 80% still because dps was on the defender most of the time. We know people in other guilds that just ignore the defender, so we decided to try that. We got her down to 62% and 66% before dieing to a combination of sentinel blast and the feral defender.

We spent almost 5 hours wiping to her on Sunday and our best attempt was 62%. It was basically the same last week. Its really frustrating and any advice is greatly appreciated.
Arees

Re: [25] Auriaya destroys raid - help

Postby loeni » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:57 am

For the interrupts, a priest with good timing can get a mass dispel to go off right as the fear hits and instantly dispell it. Barring this, I'd have warriors pop berserker rage to get out of the fear to interrupt, or have interrupters bring pvp trinkets.
loeni

Postby Flex » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:00 am

Have your shammies '/cast [target=focus] Wind Shock' and set focus to Auriaya.

That we you have a ranged interrupt.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Seloei » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:05 am

If you run with 0 warriors then put the dedicated interupter in a group with 3 shamans and have each shaman put their totem 1s after eachother so that it pulses instantly when needed.
Any warrior worth their raiding spot should be able to interupt and NOT get feared.
Seloei

Postby Arees » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:13 am

What about the defender? It is probably a bigger killer than sentinel blast... at least based on what the healers were telling me. Near the end of the night, we were doing fairly good on interrupts.

It just seems as if the raid takes a ton of damage and the healers can't keep up. We start slowly losing people. And then (because interrupters are dead) we start eating sentinel blasts.
Arees

Postby tankin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 am

my guild has the same tank make up as yours and we use the warrior to tank auriaya while myself and the DK tank the adds. This way the tank can just get himself out of the fear and can interrupt after that.
tankin

Postby Neara » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:26 am

Never had a real problem with sentinel Blast. I put the Tank and some Healers with in one Shamy-group and 2 mages and some other Healers in the second shamy-group. That both groups comes late out of fear is unlikely so either the tank or a mage can interrupt (and if i let the Warrior tank he can interrupt with zerk-rage anyway)

For the Feral-Defender, we kill him 3 times and kill Auriaya after that. After 3 death's his Damageoutput is diminished far enough to not just two-shot some clothies.

Otherwise just let some DDs dual-spec heal. Her Enrage-timer is very far from close even with a lot more healers
Neara

Postby Mogget » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:06 am

Smack the warrior upside his head and ask him why he isn't using Berserker Rage and interrupting the sentinel blast. It should be no issue for him to do this every single time she does the fear, even while tanking adds.

As for the Feral Defender, it can be stunned, so ask people with stuns to try to stun it every now and then(the warrior OT would be excellent for this, have him use Concussion Blow and Shockwave on it as often as possible). If you still have problems with it then I suggest you kill it a couple of times, it reduces the damage it does considerably
Mogget

Postby kanst » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 am

What everyone said, have one of your warriors bez rage the fear and interrupt sentinel blast. As for the defender we normally kill it once or twice before killing the boss. At full health that lil bugger can hurt. When he pops just have everyone switch and anyone with stuns stun it. If you really wanna make your life easy have a dk run out of raid and death grip it at like 5% so it drops its void outside the raid
kanst

Postby Seloei » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 am

the defender a threat to the raid? Hmmmm... never noticed it.

If you have a tank whos dps is 'lolwut' then put him on the feral defender instead. If it's a paladin seal justice and then wack him with just melee hits and tell him to keep a close eye on omen. Unless his new he should be able to spot which one is a clothie / leather and then either taunt or stun him so he doesn't one shot him.

The only thing that might be 'difficult' to heal is the jumping around at the start right after a sonic screech. But it shouldn't be a problem unless your healers fail to notice that one out of the 24 just took a big hit and cast an instant to get him up (they have about 3-4 seconds to do that)
Seloei

Postby Jedah » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 pm

I didn't even know you could interrupt Sentinel Blast. My guild is known for strong arming things without using accepted strategies, though.
Jedah

Postby Mysticknight » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Sounds like you got the pull down the rest will now be easy the key to this fight is to have tremors totems or fear ward.
having 2 or more shammy would be ideal, you want to have your 3 tanks and a rouge in a group and the other shammy in your healing group. we had an issuse when we first started where raid would die also cause of interups or heals being feared and unable to heal.
have a rouge or someone that can interup Sentinel Blast. that is pretty much the raid killers since that will just out put so much damage on your raid. people normaly dont notice this cause most of the time rouges and people who can interup are on the ball with it, if it goes off u will notice its a pulsing shadow thing that pretty much takes your raid down per tick. if u have solid heals yes u can ignor the defender but if your dps is slow it will hit harder and harder as you go. so if you're unable to down it with out downing the defender then do have all dps switch to it so it dies with in a few sec and move out of the void zone. u can also stun/ interup it for a sec so u can also have anyone who has a stun like hoj and so on to inter up it for a sec or have one of the tank to just taunt it each time when it can. if your heals are a lil weaker then its best to just kill the defender each time its up since it gets really heal intensive. if you are just burning and ignoring the defender aoe should burn it 2 or 3 times by the time auriaya is dead. Also when u do the pull use blood lust to burn the cats get them down as fast as you can that normaly really helps the encounter also.
Mysticknight

Postby Belarkan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:27 am

We also have faced a couple of issues on this fight.
The pull wasn't hard to master, the rest of the fight has been.

Kill order is:
- aoe the little kitties
- kill the defender (3 times then forget about it)
- kill the sentry
- dps the boss

We often start like:
- warrior tank on the boss.
- me & druid on the sentry, 2 on each. Once the 2 of the druid died (usualy short before the first fear) he taunts one off me.
- once the 3th sentry dies, it's usually fear/aoe/defender time, the last sentry dies in the aoe.
- once the druid gets free, he taunts and tanks the boss.
- warrior tank is on interrupt duty. Of course any chaman has to cast an horion asap to be dead sure the boss is interrupted
- follow the focus said above.

On top of that, put a mark on someone and ask your raid to pack on this player. This will help a lots on the defender.

The fight in itself isn't hard once mastered but this isn't either easy. We had easier time on Hodir/Thorim/Freya than we had on Auriaya although we have issues mastering Hodir and Thorim...
Belarkan

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon