Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Hodir Questions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Hodir Questions

Postby Bladeheart » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Hi all,

Our guild just started a 3rd group for ulduar. We're all practically new to the instance except for around 2 people. We managed to clear to Auriaya (we didn't attempt Ignis and Iron Council though). This coming weekend will be our 2nd go at the instance, and depending on our performance, might attempt a go at one of the keepers. I'm thinking of hodir since the fight seems simple enough.

I just want to ask for some tips regarding the fight.

regarding positioning: I know that the mage npc casts a toasty fire. I know that dps should stand near it, but not on it so as not to get any ice shards to fall on it. Does it spawn near the mage npc?

Also, as the tank, do I position myself near the toasty fire, or out in the open (so therefore I have to keep moving to avoid the stacking debuff and avoid the flash freeze).

On maximizing the npc buffs, say if the toast, starlight are far away, which is prioritized? Should casters prioritize on the toasty because of the singed debuff that procs on the boss? And correct me if I'm wrong that storm cloud buffed players should move near the tank and melee and let them get the buff, right?

Any other advice aside is welcome as well.
Bladeheart

Re: [10/25] Hodir Questions

Postby amh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Bladeheart wrote:regarding positioning: I know that the mage npc casts a toasty fire. I know that dps should stand near it, but not on it so as not to get any ice shards to fall on it. Does it spawn near the mage npc?

Yeah.

Also, as the tank, do I position myself near the toasty fire, or out in the open (so therefore I have to keep moving to avoid the stacking debuff and avoid the flash freeze).

Just gonna refer you to the youtube-video at the end of this post. Stand near his rare cache, that way you force the npcs to come in closer. Less time spent freeing them, higher chance of buffs appearing close to each other.

On maximizing the npc buffs, say if the toast, starlight are far away, which is prioritized? Should casters prioritize on the toasty because of the singed debuff that procs on the boss?

You only need one player stacking/keeping up singed. For most classes, standing in the beam is more of a personal dps-increase than having Singed randomly added to their attacks. We use hunters to keep up Singed, everyone else is free to stand in beams.

And correct me if I'm wrong that storm cloud buffed players should move near the tank and melee and let them get the buff, right?

Ranged dps is superior here, so it's more important to get the Storm Cloud spread to them. Of course, giving it to the tank is a good idea if there are threat-issues.

Tankspot's guide to Hodir: Edit: Sorry, wrong link. This is the one you want: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQVwRko-b0o
Last edited by amh on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby amh » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:38 pm

A good idea is to mark the npcs before you pull. They're hard to click (you hit the ice instead), but just type "/tar name-of-npc" and give them a raid-mark.

Names (nicked from Wowhead):

Druids - Tor Greycloud • Kar Greycloud or Eivi Nightfeather • Ellie Nightfeather. They attack with Wrath, which does 1,913 to 2,587 Nature damage, and cast Starlight, which increases attack and casting speed of the affected targets by 100% for 1 minute.
Shamans - Spiritwalker Tara • Spiritwalker Yona or Elementalist Mahfuun • Elementalist Avuun. They attack with Lava Burst, which does 4,250 to 5,750 Fire damage, and cast Storm Cloud, which allows the affected player to buff up to 4 (Heroic: 6) allies with Storm Power, which increases critical strike damage by 135% for 30 seconds.
Mages - Amira Blazeweaver • Veesha Blazeweaver or Missy Flamecuffs • Sissy Flamecuffs. They attack with Fireball, which does 3,570 to 4,830 Fire damage and an additional 900 Fire damage every 3 second for 6 seconds. They also cast Conjure Toasty Fire, which prevents the effects of Biting Cold, Flash Freeze and Freeze, and Melt Ice, which attempts to free a target encased in a frost tomb over 10 seconds. Players standing near a Toasty Fire have a chance to apply Singed when hitting with spells.
Priests - Battle-Priest Eliza • Battle-Priest Gina or Field Medic Penny • Field Medic Jessy. They attack with Smite, which does 3,400 to 4,600 Holy damage and can use Greater Heal, which heals for 19,000 to 21,000. They also cast Dispel Magic, which can free players from the immobilizing effect of Freeze.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Bladeheart » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:56 pm

great help, amh!

Damn, forgot about the tankspot vids. hehe. Thanks again!
Bladeheart

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon