Remove Advertisements

[25] Iron Council - Steelbreaker Tanking

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [25] Iron Council - Steelbreaker Tanking

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:56 pm

You can't afford to let him move in P3, or there's a high chance that will happen (static disruption on the raid). Either have the next tank eat the meltdown damage (it's about 30k) or position the tanks triangularly from the raid so that he just turns in place when the other guy runs out. We do the latter, taunting at <5 seconds which gives the exploding tank time to confirm that the taunt went off and then a couple seconds to back out, which is all you need.

There's also about a 1/15 chance for him to Fusion Punch right on the taunt, making it very hard to tell whether the Punch is landing on the new tank or the old. If it lands on the new tank, he will need to be prepared with a cooldown and then 2 more (so 3 total that phase). It's safe to taunt AFTER the final Fusion Punch casts, but it's quite random so sometimes you just get hosed and should have a spare CD if possible.

Fusion Punch is not restricted to melee range and is not restricted to targeting the MT if he's moved. So you really want to make sure the last Punch is casting before you try to run out, as there is a chance for a split-second targeting decision to nuke a random raid member.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Noodleguitar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:48 am

Threatco wrote:Semi off topic but relavent. I want to ask a UI question.

I would love to be able to focus runemaster so i can see his cast bar, but xperl does not let me.

Is there a way to make xperl do that in some way? If not what would be the best similar alternative.

On a side side note, I know someone who has grid who can set it so people +40 yard range from him are opaque. Can x-perl do this?

If you have the latest version, just select someone and type /focus.

It's also possible to fade out people out of range. To do this, go to Global options, then at the bottom enable "Range Finder". You can set how much to fade out the portraits, at which range and some other options.
Noodleguitar

Postby Falibard » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:45 am

PsiVen wrote:Fusion Punch is not restricted to melee range and is not restricted to targeting the MT if he's moved. So you really want to make sure the last Punch is casting before you try to run out, as there is a chance for a split-second targeting decision to nuke a random raid member.

I'll preface this by saying that we stack Steelbreaker on top of Stormcaller in phase 2 to maximize dps on Steelbreaker for phase 3. At one point I was moving Steelbreaker and he started caster fusion punch so I ran back in to eat the hit but he decided he'd rather fusion punch someone else. All I heard on vent was, " did he just fusion punch my imp?"...
Falibard

Postby Worldie » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:32 pm

A very useful thing to do is to actually have the supposed to be second tank taunt off you during the kill of the second dwarf and taunt back right after: in that way he'll be second in threat and Steelbreaker will just head to him after you die.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Worldie wrote:A very useful thing to do is to actually have the supposed to be second tank taunt off you during the kill of the second dwarf and taunt back right after: in that way he'll be second in threat and Steelbreaker will just head to him after you die.

This is true, but i wouldnt call it very usefull.
Since the MT with the meltdown has to run away before he dies (exploading the raid or atleast meele) you need the other Tank to taunt about 5sec or so before the actual meltdown. Making the P2 pretaunt useless.
I dont know exactly how long the range of the explotion is, maybe its doable to be max meele range, then meele stands on max meele range on the other side of the boss (with the second tank at meele) and him exploading where he tanks. If you cant outrange that explotion that way, you still need to taunt 5sec before blowup. However if the tank dies prematurely, it can go to the 2nd tank instead of killing off 2-3 dps making the fight impossible before the other tank gets hold of it.
Atleast we felt little use of doing this on our tries since it only works for the first taunt anyway (maybe you could snatch in a 3rd tank when your throwing him around a bit.
Even if we still do this, we have had wipes caused by pretaunting in P2 xD
Chances are slim this would save you ofthen, but if done calmly when things are under control in P2 it shouldnt be a bad idea.
Altho, if a tank dies prematurely, the timer to kill him will be a lot harder, and healing will be more intense ofc, it just escalates in the wrong direction.
Treck

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:05 am

You really don't want the boss (or the raid) moving. If the 2nd tank is standing with the melee, he either has to move around quickly (guaranteed to shift Steelbreaker's position) or the raid has to. The tank has to make that movement eventually even if the raid does it at first. We stopped bothering with a P2 pre-taunt when we realized this.

You could perhaps stand at max melee with the triangular formation and have everyone outranging the Meltdown. Personally I think it'd be too close for comfort and not worth the risk for a couple extra seconds.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Arizara » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:47 am

i simply hit my cleanse while targeting steelbreaker... stop casting anything else when the DBM timer hits 1 GCD from him doing it so you don't do a spell and can't cleanse fast enough. you should have enough hp to take one of these hits and you're priest and pally healers should be pre-healing based on the same DBM timer (i've healed the SB tank, and i holy light when the timer's .1 seconds less than my HL cast time followed by a Holy Shock). if a pally does that, and doesn't crit with either, first off fail... 2nd, even not crit, HL+HS should still heal >20k and since its a >GCD spell paired with an instant, they land together... so once again, you should have enough to move out... unless he casts the run half way through the punch cast, you should be able to out range a follow-on melee attack by already moving to a proper spot to break him from the rune within a second or two

oh, and on the random punch to the imp, thats awesome.
Arizara

Postby moduspwnens » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:26 am

We found that the Meltdown doesn't kill other tanks, so we just have our Druid hit me with it and tank him as long as possible. It ended up hitting for about 12k (log) and usually meant that other tank got to take another Fusion Punch just as she died (helpful). That tank just has to be sure he's not hitting the melee and it's not too bad.

Hmph. Well that may be because I was probably Shield Wall'd, but I always Shield Wall during the taunt anyway. It's always still up for the first Fusion Punch.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Dalithe » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:05 am

http://www.wowmeteronline.com//combat/log/752228

Take at look at the logs for the night. I know at least one death was my fault for not removing the dot from Fusion Punch (only one though). It's a pretty difficult fight for me to judge using online logs though.

The plan we were going with was me the first tank, warrior as second tank and the druid tank as 3rd. I would get a Soulstone in P3 so that after I die, I could rez, bubble, divine sacrifice get into position and be on cleanse duty on the other tanks until my turn to tank again if needed.

36k unbuffed HP, 47k raid buffed (warrior intercepts or whatever and refreshes Commanding Shout)
I would chain my dodge trinkets as much as I could, seal light (after initial pull and I was steady), salv on cooldown and shield wall either if I knew I wasn't getting away from fusion punch while in was in blue, or going into transitions. I also used indestructible pots when I could and in P3 I would use Nightmare Seed with another cooldowns...I generally had Shield Wall for P3.
Dalithe

Postby Falibard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:27 am

Has anyone had issues with people dispelling Fusion Punch but the dispel missing or failing? If this had only happened once I wouldn't think much of it, but this has happened several times.
Falibard

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:40 am

Falibard wrote:Has anyone had issues with people dispelling Fusion Punch but the dispel missing or failing? If this had only happened once I wouldn't think much of it, but this has happened several times.

I haven't.
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Corpsicle » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 am

Falibard wrote:Has anyone had issues with people dispelling Fusion Punch but the dispel missing or failing? If this had only happened once I wouldn't think much of it, but this has happened several times.

I had this happen on ten man last night, try 2 of the three it took to get him. I had alt held down and was cleansing like mad and... nothing. I didn't get the cleanse off till I was about 2000 hp left and then had a melee hit kill me. Tries 1 and 3 I had no issues and was cleansing off fusion punch the same way.
Corpsicle

Postby trellian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:51 am

What we did on 10man was actually getting the 'you are gonna die in 60 seconds'-debuff (can't remember the name :P) on a hunter.
Basically a hunter is about assured to be 2nd in threat at all times. We had our 2nd tank die due to lack of healing just before he was to explode. Steelbreak continued to cast the debuff on the hunter and I immediately taunted. At that moment I was tanking him without the debuff and our hunter was doing amazing dps.

We didn't really plan for this to happen (the tank death was not supposed to happen before I taunted) but it turned out to be pretty nice. I'm not sure this would be usable in 25man though.
trellian

Postby Serelynn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:07 am

Cleanse can fail against Fusion Punch, the chances of it happening are low, but if you read the combat log it flat out says Cleanse failed. It's pretty special when it happens.
Serelynn

Postby Falibard » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:52 pm

Serelynn wrote:

Cleanse can fail against Fusion Punch, the chances of it happening are low, but if you read the combat log it flat out says Cleanse failed. It's pretty special when it happens.

It has happened more than once... like maybe 10% of all cleanses have failed. It isn't always fatal but it is always scary.
Falibard

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon