Remove Advertisements

[10] Algalon Big Bang Question

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Algalon Big Bang Question

Postby Markoh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:01 pm

I'm just curious if anyone out there is doing this without a dk tank, and how they are surviving it.

We don't have a reliable dk tank or a dps that is "skilled" at tanking, being very generous with how I phrased that. So I'm trying to see if I'm missing something obvious for a tank to be able to survive everyone, or if we are going to have to alternate big bangs. I think it's very viable to alternate big bangs, it just complicates the matter and having one tank who can survive it every time would make life so much easier.

For the alternate I was thinking

4 phase punches me
1 phase punch druid
*Big Bang*
3 More phase punches druid
2 phase punches me
*Big Bang*
2 More phase punches me
3 phase punches druid
*Big Bang*
1 Phase punch druid
I taunt off and that should last the end of the fight.

I can see this working, but additional complexity to an already very hectic fight seems like its a recipe for disaster.
Markoh

Re: [10] Algalon Big Bang Question

Postby Belloc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 am

Having not done the fight, I wonder:

Is the threat wipe really that huge of a deal? I could understand having threat wiped every big bang might suck, but maybe every other big bang? Is it that bad?
Belloc

Postby Markoh » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Threat isn't even close to an issue and threat doesn't wipe from big bang from what I've noticed (even if it did your still going to have agro and will have a 2 second lead before dps could start thier dmg rotations again anyway).

I think we are going to just have me take all the big bangs with bubble wall on 1 and 3 and salv glyph 2 with a pain suppression. We are going 3 healers 2 tanks so if we have an issue with a 4th bang coming we can just fudge the number of phase punches before the taunt and get it so the druid takes the 4th bang.
Markoh

Postby Belloc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Well, watching Ensidia's kill video of 25-man Algalon, I notice Kungen taking a big bang near the end. When he comes out, Algalon goes for two random DPS before he settles firmly on Kungen. So, yeah, it does appear that threat is wiped when going in the black holes, but it also appears that it doesn't matter. So, why would you keep a tank outside when you can just leave them inside?

Also, wouldn't it be a better idea (making an assumption here) to leave out a mage that can iceblock through it, or a paladin that can bubble through it, and just taunt off them? The threat lead from those players would be plenty when everyone else's threat is getting wiped.
Belloc

Postby Markoh » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Big bang hits through bubble (and I assume Iceblock), that was a funny one to watch, and if you have no one on the outside he casts (I can't remember the name exactly b/c after we learned about ti we stopped thinking about it) acscend to the heavens which basically hits everyone for 80k dmg.

I havn't watched the ensida video of the 25 man, so it might be different. One thing you could be seeing is him changing targets for cosmic smash, all I'm really sure of is we have had no threat issue what so ever. Also I havn't watched but does the tank possibly take 5 phase punches so there is no exchange of threat?

I think some of those are changes from 10 to 25 though if I had to guess.
Markoh

Postby nutron » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:37 pm

I tanked every big bang myself on our kill. The rotation we used is pretty much the one you posted about so youre on the right track :)
nutron

Postby Faro » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:30 pm

nutron wrote:I tanked every big bang myself on our kill. The rotation we used is pretty much the one you posted about so youre on the right track :)

Wait, nutron from <Aurora> Mal'Ganis?
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Markoh » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:11 pm

Too many malgins ppl in one thread

But ya Nutron we were originally trying to force a bad dk tank into the tanking rotation. We were debating on switching it up to the bear and myself alternating big bangs, but we decided that's just too much unnecessary complication. When you guys got your kill it just re-enforced the switch to me taking the big bangs.
Markoh

Postby nutron » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:35 pm

yes nutron from mal'ganis :P

There's no doubt a good DK would be an ideal candidate (for pretty much everything in the game really...), glad our kill motivated ya to keep trying with a paladin!!

Elltrain steals my secrets!
nutron

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:48 am

So having finally seen this fight tonight, I must say it's a lot harder than it looks in videos :)

Algalon is easily the highest DPS boss in the game, and seems fairly well suited to a paladin as a superspeed dual wielder. The other tank in my 10-man is a DK, and we're letting him take all the bangs:
2 punches (me)
4 punches (dk)
- big bang -
I taunt, 2, 4, etc.

Am I correct in assuming that it would also work if I took 4 punches and he taunted for 2 before each Bang? I guess this would be the ideal for us if the timing works out properly. We spent our hour wiping mostly on the transition after the first Big Bang.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Avengeance » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:30 am

I'm trying him tonight, can someone explain the punches (why 2 and 4, and not 3 3).
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Markoh » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:40 am

Ya if elltrain wouldn't of stolen them I would of annoyed Savedyou into giving up the info.

Avengence the reason you do 2-3 punches and then switch is so you never get to 5 (which forces you to phase) and it allows the debuff to fall off. Really the number you choose is whatever you feel comfortable with.
Markoh

Postby Taragon » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:25 pm

PsiVen wrote:2 punches (me)
4 punches (dk)
- big bang -
I taunt, 2, 4, etc.

Same for me, but we lack a DK so we used a druid which was having troubles surviving any w/o sacrifice. I was able to survive a Big bang with a Sacrifice however. The threat reset may not be a big deal as long as you make a mental note of Algalon's position and Position of the black holes before going down (as another tank/shadowpriest takes the hit). There is a period where he wont attack anyone briefly.

Side note: Wtf with the despawn mid attempt -.-.
Taragon - Ex-Maintankadin of Insomnia

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Taragon
Taragon

Postby Avengeance » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Just had my first hour try... best was 60%... man he hits like a truck on steroids. We onlymanaged to pass 1 big bang phase
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Threatco » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:11 pm

what is this about 1 hour tries? Is it a timed event?
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon