[10] Hodir hard mode TPS?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Hodir hard mode TPS?

Postby itankforcash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:12 am

Hakuteiken wrote:I've had no problems with TPS on Hodir...

You can consistently keep your threat higher than a mages or warlocks on hodir without taunting?

Tell me, does your mages and warlocks output 18k dps or more on that fight?
itankforcash

Postby Mysticknight » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 pm

we down this many times the key to TPS is to use 1 or no frost res gear also having (2) t7 set bonus really helps. with the set i've been using it has t7.5 gloves and shoulders, i also use [Icebane Chestguard] in my mix i socket [Kharmaa's Grace] and 2 stam gems into it. this allows me to drop my def down to 520 after that i just have my normal tank gear back then it was full 7.5 now its 226 grade.

The easiest way that we got this fight was to let the priest die and just break out the other 3.

so as your raid is breaking out the other 3 npc u should be kiting and looking for a camp fire. once u find one stack hodir up on top of it. and just go on with your normal rotation, as long as you're with in 15 yards of the camp fire so u will get you the toasty buff allowing you to just stand still and tank, this will also put up Singed, you will just need to move out of the rune so u dont get hit by snow falling. during the flash freeze and the 2 larger runes on the ground appears everyone needs to be ready to jump on once the drift happens. but remember u should never stop dpsing even when the drift is up. after break out the mage and the other 3 npc fine the fire and repeat if you have more then one pally u can soak the frozen blows to make it easier u should not have more then 2 of them. we have finish this encounter with over 40 sec to spare b4. no one should need frost res if u need more then 2 healers or your raid needs frost res gear then you're not ready for this hard mode.

oh and about a min into the fight i may have to use salv on our mage or warlock if we have one. other then that tps is no problem
Mysticknight

Postby Janduin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:48 am

I'm not sure I buy the part about tanking him near the fire. All our and the melee's stuff is instant, it's not that hard to just spam jump while tanking/dpsing. Yes, we can stack singed, but so can the ranged casters that NEED to be standing near the fire, and having a lot of other people there would make more ice spawns, which would mean the ranged have to move more, and thereby outdps less dps. There's also the problem that you are risking limiting the ranged casters' threat cap and making it more likely they pull aggro during flash freeze, etc.
Janduin

Re: Hodir 10 man hard mode TPS?

Postby kanst » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:53 am

Panzerdin wrote:Also, you can let a ranged DPS aggro and then immediately taunt off them.

This is what I do. As a pally you have 2 taunts on a short cooldown. Just tell them to make sure they are at max range and then let them blast away, every time they pull aggro quickly taunt. Pallies also get the bonus that singed is a pretty nice threat boost for us.
kanst

Postby Aubade » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:43 am

Hmm, you all seem to be underestimating the power of the Fire.

What i normally do is just my normal 696 for the first 10-15 seconds (While dps is breaking adds) then keep doing 696 (including holy shield). Wait for fire, wait for ranged to get to fire, then pop wings. the seared debuffs = 16-20k shield slam crits with wings up. your threat goes through the roof, i've never had a dps pull off of me using this method, and i've used it in 10M hard-mode and 25M hard-mode multiple times.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Mysticknight » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:18 am

if you're doing hard mode then for sure you need to be tanking next to a fire u must remember that u get more then one fire and range is able to stand with in 15 yards we killed him with in 2mins 10 sec as our fastest kill. also no stacks on melee = much less healing needed and allowing your healers to also add a lil more pew pew
Mysticknight

Postby fafhrd » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:21 am

Mysticknight wrote:if you're doing hard mode then for sure you need to be tanking next to a fire u must remember that u get more then one fire and range is able to stand with in 15 yards we killed him with in 2mins 10 sec as our fastest kill. also no stacks on melee = much less healing needed and allowing your healers to also add a lil more pew pew

Melee should have no stacks regardless of fire. Tell them to learn to hit their jump key. Melee also don't stack singed at all well, the debuff is only applied from spells and ranged attacks - so rogue poisons, some enhancement spells, some dk spells, maybe some ret attacks, nothing from warriors or ferals.

Fire doesn't hurt melee, but tanking him near starlight is much more important for melee than within range of a fire.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Seloei » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:33 am

Actually you can help to keep the singed buff up yourself and gain a meager boost to your damage by standing next to a fire. Almost all of our abilities can proc it.

Altho melee should be abusing their jump key and moving out of the icicle landing spots
Seloei

Postby Dalithe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am

I prefer standing next to the fires. I ensure the singed buff is being put on and the range from it is quite large. (You get an orange buff when in range of it). It's extremely nice to be able to get the shaman crit damage increase buff in the beginning for a nice threat boost. The more frontloaded threat the better because later is always to late.

10 man I don't use any FR gear anymore as I'm attempting to maximize TPS and will drain the exact amount of mana that the healers have for the time it takes to do that HM without a second thought. Also in the time it takes to do HM he only casts Frozen Blows 2-3 times...not hard to shield wall one, trinkets the other, and call for a healer CD on the 3rd (if it happens).
Dalithe

Postby fafhrd » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Stand next to the fires if you want, but don't do so at the expense of not standing next to starlights - the startlight is quite a large boost to melee dps, the fires are only a boost to casters, and they'll stack it up to full without melee help anyway.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Dalithe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Yea, I have to force myself to do that for the melee as I try to get comfortable. I notice a HUGE difference when I go outta my way to get Hodir near moonbeams as fast as possible for Melee. I also attempt to push the corners of those lovely fires while I'm at it...(I hate jumping)
Dalithe

Postby Mysticknight » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 pm

i dont think u understand i said tank him on a fire now that hes on a fire anyone can be around him with in 15 yards and get the fire buff as for melee range, once the crit buff it a melee target almost all will get it as a range if you get the crit buff u just run into melee. as i said b4 we downed it with in 2:20 sec leaving 40 sec to spare. in the time that people breaking the npc out of ice blocks and u are kiting to a fire u have so much tps
Mysticknight

Postby fafhrd » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:33 pm

Mysticknight wrote:i dont think u understand i said tank him on a fire now that hes on a fire anyone can be around him with in 15 yards and get the fire buff as for melee range, once the crit buff it a melee target almost all will get it as a range if you get the crit buff u just run into melee. as i said b4 we downed it with in 2:20 sec leaving 40 sec to spare. in the time that people breaking the npc out of ice blocks and u are kiting to a fire u have so much tps

Yeah, I don't understand. Using more English would get your point across better I think.

So what if anyone can be around him to get the fire buff? The people who hugely benefit from the fire are ranged, not melee, and they don't care where the boss is. The only ones who do care where the boss is are melee, and they care a lot more about the boss being right next to several starlights than they care about being next to a fire. So instead of wasting time dragging him to a fire, you should be dragging him to a starlight instead. If that happens to also be on top of a fire, awesome, but if not, too bad, the starlight is the important positional buff, not the fire.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby sfrog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:07 am

This is more of a 25m question, but it deal with the same thing, Hodir hard mode threat.

We tank him near the rare cache and he's not supposed to move (that being the goal). That said, if range get the cloud, they're supposed to bring it to the melee as we run melee heavy. Rare is the fire that spawns near me or the melee and worn out is my jump key.

I've tried to do Salv on the highest DPS, normally one of our mages - except I need that glyphed CD (finally broke down and admitted it's actually useful) since we run with one paladin usually besides me and sometimes a holy priest will go Disc. I don't get clouds - the DPS hogs them and I can't count on fires to be nearby. So my goal is to not use HoSalv on someone but still maintain a very high threat lead for my DPS. Is it better to drag the Why-Did-I-Take-All-This-Block gear out of the bank and use a higher Block V/R set for Hodir, or see if I can get a Tricks or even beg for a cloud? The hunters offload a couple of MDs on to me when they can but for the most part I'm on my own. Last week we lost the kill by 10secs after a Warrior pulled off me and I couldn't get my taunt off fast enough to prevent him getting one shot and I would truly rather not have that repeat this week.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby Seloei » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:44 am

Doing a proper 969 rotation with using 2 pieces of frost resist gear and using wings the moment you see singed is at 10+ stacks is more than enough threat always to keep agro off the melee. That way i can peek upto 9-10k TPS while wings is up if not more.

Remember, you can watch omen/skada and the moment you see a caster/ranged reach 100-120% you use the single target taunt on the boss. He will then not go and kill them but he will stay with you and you gain the ranged targets threat. Even if the said warlock/mage is putting out 20k dps you can keep him alive by taunting. After the third taunt they should use their agro drops which you call out and you have a major headway into the fight with threat and by the time they reach the 'threatening' level of threat again, you will be able to use your 3 taunts again to not get them killed since taunt DR has gone off.

As long as you can keep doing the proper 969 rotation going you will have loads more threat and you don't even have to slap on your BV gear set. If nothing else get +2% threat on gloves altho that shouldn't be needed.
Seloei

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon