[10/25]Anyone tanked Iron Council's Stormcaller?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25]Anyone tanked Iron Council's Stormcaller?

Postby Wakeman » Sat May 30, 2009 7:16 am

How many people have tanked Iron Council's Stormcaller in 10/25 Ulduar? Are our spell interruptions good enough for him? I am thinking if one has Imp HoJ, together with AS, there are 5 interrupts in a minute. How about BE's Arcane Torrent? Can it interrupt Stormcaller?
Wakeman

Re: [10/25]Anyone tanked Iron Council's Stormcaller?

Postby Barsine » Sat May 30, 2009 7:20 am

Yes, Arcane Torrent works, no it's not enough. Afaik he casts either chain lightning or the spin-shit once every 8 seconds meaning that we could theoretically interrupt almost all of them every 2nd minute (since arcane torrent is 2min cd). On the other hand, paladin on Steelbreaker is pure ownage so tank that instead. :P
Barsine

Postby Wakeman » Sat May 30, 2009 7:45 am

I see.... Thanks!

We had one night that the two tanks were paladin and druid, which caused some problem at this fight.... :P
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Seloei » Sat May 30, 2009 9:01 am

Drop the druid on the stormcaller, they have a finishing move that gives them an interupt and they can basicly tank it in kitty form in 10man. On 25man assign 2 interupters for stormcaller.
Seloei

Postby Tiandelin » Sat May 30, 2009 9:06 am

As noted, you really need a "real" interrupt class on him. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a tank, though. In 25-man, we toss a rogue or shaman on him after Steelbreaker dies to interrupt the lightning whirl while the warrior or DK tank we toss at him just sticks to stopping CLs.

In 10-man, you can just kinda ignore him for phase 1 since CL is easily survivable and he just kinda stands there and casts it (don't let him stand in runes of power, though). We don't even bother tanking him till Steelbreaker goes down. In 25-man, you can just sacrifice a dps or two to keep his casting locked down. If you're being clever with runes (hint: tank Molgeim next to Steelbreaker so that melee can jump into ones he casts under himself), time should never be an issue.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Seloei » Sat May 30, 2009 11:14 am

In order to hit the enrage timer, the raiddps on heroic mode has to be 33k constant, from start to end. 15 min enrage timer gives you a very very long time to play around. Most of the time, the last add died before the 7 minutes mark.
Seloei

Postby PsiVen » Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 pm

If you're not killing him first, you'll want at least 3 interrupters to catch all the lightning whirls reliably in 25-man after the first phase. But in P1, just stick a DK or warrior over there to punch him. CL isn't bad, but it's nice to be able to move him out of runes on demand.

And no, the enrage timer should never be an issue. I'd be amazed if you could survive any phase for 15 minutes without killing them.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Belloc » Sat May 30, 2009 3:35 pm

A lot of people here will disagree with me on this, but ... he doesn't need to be tanked.

In every single 10-man hard mode kill we have (2 healers, 2 tanks), not once have we started with a tank on him. We kill Runemaster first, then Stormcaller.

In our last 25-man normal mode, we only had two tanks. Once again, we just left him back there shooting chain lightnings.

If you need to conserve mana for a 25-man hard mode, feel free to throw someone on him. Otherwise, don't even bother. Damage during the first phase is piddly, no matter what anyone here says.
Belloc

Postby Wakeman » Sat May 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks again for the replies! I'll suggest these to my guild.

Seloei: what do you mean by having the druid in kitty form tanking Stormcaller? Doesn't Stormcaller melee for thousands of damage when he is not casting?
Wakeman

Postby MrDuck » Sat May 30, 2009 11:33 pm

Wakeman wrote:Thanks again for the replies! I'll suggest these to my guild.

Seloei: what do you mean by having the druid in kitty form tanking Stormcaller? Doesn't Stormcaller melee for thousands of damage when he is not casting?
he hits for like 4k on tank in 25man, so it's not really a big deal.
MrDuck

Postby Seloei » Sun May 31, 2009 12:38 am

I suggested a druid, because he has basicly 2 interupts himself, one is Maim which is a finishing move but interupts spellcasting for 3s (10s cooldown) and the other one is Bash which is on a 1 min cooldown.
If you are really worried about interupts on 10man, he can tank it in kitty form, since i believe maim is not usable as a teddybear? Not sure how well he might fare on 25man, but there you *do* have atleast 2 interupters who can do the interupting for any tank that's set on him.
Seloei

Postby Wakeman » Sun May 31, 2009 1:52 am

ic. Thanks again!
Wakeman

Postby Mordinm » Sun May 31, 2009 8:44 am

We use a shaman and a DK. They should be able to keep him completely locked down in 25 man. The Shaman is resto speced but keeps himself hit capped. His healing is gimped badly by the hit gear but as mentioned if you keep him interrupted his damage is trivial.

In 10 man we ignored him till we get on him to kill him second.
Mordinm

Postby Playdoh » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 pm

We had a Druid/Pally combo tanking the 10 man this week.

Druid took Steelbreaker and I did Molgrim/stormcaller with the help of a rogue. It's when molgrim casts rune of power on stormcaller that there can be extra dmg, so save your as to move him quickly out of it.

The enrage timer was not a concern. We one shot it with noone dieing.

My 1st week of doing this fight was getting used to the tweaks needed to make this go smooth.

i was used to pulling with AS instead of saving it, etc etc, used Judgement of Justice too, but i use that on molgrim so I can run from stormcallers nova.
Playdoh
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07 pm

Seal of Justice is also handy on him. The stuns are random so you still need an interrupter with you for the whirl, but it does reduce the amount of damage he inflicts on the raid by those random interrupts.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon