[10] Firefighter

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Firefighter

Postby Sitar » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:14 am

Ok that must be it then :)
Sitar

Postby Belloc » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:45 am

I'm mixed. We were getting practice and I know we could've gotten it eventually... but...

I really want to kill Algalon and get my effing drake.

WOOT
Belloc

Postby Falibard » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:54 am

Belloc wrote:I'm mixed. We were getting practice and I know we could've gotten it eventually... but...

I really want to kill Algalon and get my effing drake.

WOOT

My group was set on spending however much time it took to down this fight this week, but after two hours of attempts last night (having never seen the fight before) I'd don't think it'll take very long to down it.
Falibard

Postby Seloei » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:23 am

i was hoping your kidding or you hit a bug that failed to initiate the hardmode damage done but now even mmo-champ has it listed
Mimiron Hard Mode nerfed

It was a bit over the top on difficulty but meh... ohwell

Is it still worth the effort to kill any emergency bots to hit the flame cap, or you can just ignore it altogether and LoS pull the head?
Seloei

Postby Nadir » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:10 pm

We just finished Firefighter tonight.

I'd still recommend killing the Emergency fire bots. If you don't let them put out any fires (and your fire positioning from P2 was pro) then you can be fire capped for the entirety of P3 and the initial part of P4. It helped us out a lot to have half the room without fire for that an entire phase and a bit of the next.
Nadir

Postby Alanyor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Did just one pull today to get the teleporter... next raid day I'll have my drake. :lol:
Alanyor <Bloodhound Gang> - EU-Nera'thor - http://www.alanyor.blogspot.com
Originator of 10 Paladin Karazhan, 10 Paladin Zul'Aman and 8 Paladin Naxxramas
Alanyor

Postby Seloei » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:52 pm

Really sad about this tbh, it was nerfed over the top. I'd rate this as hard as Freya now, atleast on 10man.
First night on him. 1.5h of tries and he was dead.
Seloei

Postby fafhrd » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I got to try him for the first time tonight on my hunter. Somewhat as expected from the method/ensidia videos there doesn't seem to be much new to the fight in hardmode as a hunter, just do what you normally do, but dodge fires and bots, don't get your pet killed, and do more damage in less time.

However, we failed :( Ended the night after the 4th sub-1% wipe to the enrage :( I was completely oom by the end every time, 3 more shots fires and we'd have won.

I'd agree that it's not a very hard hardmode in 10man at least, but I wouldn't go anywhere near saying it's the easiest, Joanna.

The fight is fun though, even after all the wiping :D That nagging feeling of something being missing is gone when the room is full of fire. And I very much like the mechanics of the fire capping out on how much of the room it can occupy rather than just spreading continuously.

Does anyone have any tips on using the cores properly? I wouldn't imagine it's particularly hard, but several of our wipes were to our core-dropper missing the head by dropping a core somewhere that wasn't below him, forcing us to deal with extra assault bots.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby kandros » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:18 am

best time to use the core is after a fire explosion and have your head's tank go LOS where a fresh core on the ground if waiting for him :twisted:
btw i also suggest to kill some emergency bot, we had our holy priest using smite like a machine gun when he had free global cooldown
kandros

Postby pulexirae » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:45 am

man, my group must fail at 10 man. We had major issues getting past P1 on hardmode last night, we had a resto druid, resto shammy, and holy paladin healing. Either our 50k health DK tank would die, or we'd lose some ranged dps to napalms that weren't getting healed. I was convinced it was a big healer problem, but the healers were like zomg it's too much damage!!! Mind you, we just went through thorim, and hodir 2 healed, and freya+3 3 healed and 1 shot them all. What are we doing wrong?
pulexirae

Postby moduspwnens » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:01 am

pulexirae wrote:man, my group must fail at 10 man. We had major issues getting past P1 on hardmode last night, we had a resto druid, resto shammy, and holy paladin healing. Either our 50k health DK tank would die, or we'd lose some ranged dps to napalms that weren't getting healed. I was convinced it was a big healer problem, but the healers were like zomg it's too much damage!!! Mind you, we just went through thorim, and hodir 2 healed, and freya+3 3 healed and 1 shot them all. What are we doing wrong?

I thought things like this would happen. Those of us who have done it pre-nerf raised expectations, but it's still not easy enough that you'll have it first try. It just won't take hours and hours to perfect things like fire kiting strategy or healer positioning to avoid silences.

You should be using a fairly strong cooldown (40%+) for each Plasma Blast unless your healers can handle it with something less. I have no concept of your gear, experience, or raid composition, but I assume that your DK should be able to IBF two Plasma Blasts. My group takes only three in phase one, but if you're less geared, I suppose it could take four. My group also lacked strong external cooldowns, so for ours, I got a Pain Suppression for the first, Bubble-Walled the second, and for the third, we actually had a DPS Warrior pop on a shield, taunt, and Shield Wall it. I'd use Hand of Sacrifice on him and in his DPS set it was unglyphed, so his low health was still easily healable through a 60% + 30% damage reduction.

As far as Napalms, just as on normal, you'll want to be spread out. Be sure Fire Resistance aura or totem is up. That's about all I can tell you for that phase. We use a set kite path that works regardless of fires just so everyone can keep up DPS and know exactly where I'm taking him. The fight isn't easy. It's still tough compared to the other hard modes, but once you get the strategy down, it's not that bad. Keep working at it!
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby pulexirae » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:18 am

Sounds good. Ya, we were doing a IBF on the first blast(and we'd still lose our DK from time to time here, making me *really* think it was a healer problem). The second one, we'd use a sacrifice, and the third he'd IBF again. We usually put him into P2 about 5 seconds before the 4th plasma blast.

We were also losing our mage a lot. He has about 22k health buffed up, and was using fire ward just in case, and the healers just couldn't keep him alive. He'd use an iceblock to save himself on the first napalm he got, but he always seemed to get a second napalm and would die. Surprisingly enough, P2 seemed like a breather compared to P1 for our group, but we only saw it once or twice with the raid alive.
pulexirae

Postby kandros » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:08 pm

pulexirae wrote:Sounds good. Ya, we were doing a IBF on the first blast(and we'd still lose our DK from time to time here, making me *really* think it was a healer problem). The second one, we'd use a sacrifice, and the third he'd IBF again. We usually put him into P2 about 5 seconds before the 4th plasma blast.

We were also losing our mage a lot. He has about 22k health buffed up, and was using fire ward just in case, and the healers just couldn't keep him alive. He'd use an iceblock to save himself on the first napalm he got, but he always seemed to get a second napalm and would die. Surprisingly enough, P2 seemed like a breather compared to P1 for our group, but we only saw it once or twice with the raid alive.

if you use cooldowns on plasma blast and ppl still die is an healer problem, we run 1dk frost and me as a tankadin, 1 resto druid 1 holy priest 1 holy paladin, i tank each blast , divine protection on first plasma blast, guardian spirit on second, and hand of sacrifice+ divine sacrifice on third, if ppl still die is a healing probelm, OR any of you are taking damage from fire

btw finish phase one 5 sec before the 4th plasma blast can be a dps problem too
kandros

Postby pulexirae » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:13 am

Nope, just incidental napalm damage, but everyone is really good about staying out of the fires as they spread. Guess I gotta get on the healers! lol
pulexirae

Postby Joanadark » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:12 pm

I don't think a lot of people realize this, but you can watch the cannon on top of the Flame Leviathon Mk II and see exactly who is going to be napalmed. The cannon turret will point towards the Napalm Shell target several seconds before the Napalm Shell is fired.
This is something we watched for and learned very early on in our Firefighter progress. In 25-man, getting a Napalm Shell on the melee pack was very easily a deadly event before the nerf, unless countered by stellar healing. So what we would do is all the melee would watch the cannon, in addition to everything else we were doing, staring at it like hawks. Whenever it pointed in our direction, the melee pack would scatter so that we wouldn't ever let more than one of us get Napalm Shelled at once.
I also generally throw a Hand of Sacrifice on any Napalmed player who is towards the outskirts of our spread, to compensate for healers on the opposite side being unable to reach them.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon