Remove Advertisements

[10] Freya Hard mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Freya Hard mode

Postby semp » Mon May 18, 2009 8:05 am

Has anyone successfully beat this encounter? What type of group set up were you using? As our 10 man continues to try and unlock Alg, this will be the next hardmode will we be trying for, and any tips/suggestions would be great.
semp

Re: [10] Freya Hard mode

Postby Belloc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am

We gave it a few attempts with 2 paladin tanks, 2 healers (holy priest and resto druid), and 6 dps (can't remember them all).

On the first attempt, the damage didn't look too bad from what I could see (but, honestly, it must've been terrible)... we wiped early because a key DPS stood in a light beam and died. Second attempt, damage was everywhere and half the raid was one ground tremor away from dying at all times. Wiped again and weren't able to continue the next night.

Add a third healer and the damage should be manageable. Once you get the fight down with 3 healers, you can scale back to 2.

Keys: Don't cast during ground tremor. Don't stand in the beams of light. Kill the roots quickly. Everything has twice as much health, so bring the DPS. It shouldn't be that bad if you are attempting the other hard modes.
Belloc

Postby Avengeance » Sun May 24, 2009 6:46 pm

I did this tonight with 2 tank 3 healer - it was easier than one may expect.
Group setup:
Prot Pala (add tank)
Prot War (Freya)
Holy pala
2x Holy Priest
Hunter
Lock
Mage
Ele sham
Boomkin

First, the elders dont join the fight, dont worry. Second, the abilities that are added to the encounter are as follow:
Iron roots - randomly grabs one player with it and deals damage over time, the player is immobilized but can still cast/attack. We made a macro /tar Strengthened (the targettable roots is called Strengthened Iron Roots) and just use it to kill roots everytime.

Ground Tremor - a 100 yard aoe spell that hits around 10k physical dmg every ~30 secs - can counterspell you if it catches you casting a spell. You get a default raid warning when this is being casted.

Photosynthesis beams (?) - dont know exactly the spell name, but its beams of yellow light that spawns randomly on the ground that deals damage - just avoid it.

All the adds and freya gains bonus health - how much exactly I dont know, but Freya had 1.4M pre-adds, and she had 2M if you kept all 3 up. Also adds will deal 50% more physical and magic dmg, as well as freya herself, but this isnt actually much more.

Dealing with the add packs:
The flame lashers zerg adds - these are probably the toughest - use fire resistance aura to mitigrate their damage (fire based melee and fire explosion if i recall). What we do is we group up in a small circle and aoe them down to around 20% hp, they are stunnable/rootable (earthbind), so it helps to keep them all in one tight pack. You have to be extra careful when you kill them - start single dps them down on low hp, and if you see a ground tremor imminent, stop DPS completely, until tremor passed and healers healed the raid up. Me as the protadin tries to taunt low hp adds away and stun them then kill them away from raid to reduce some raid dmg. But controlled DPS is they key.

Ancient Protector (big tree) - easiest of the 3, just tank it like normal - make sure dpsers dont all crowd around 1 mushroom (to avoid that aoe lightning explosion thing that freya casts on a random raid member).

3 elementals - I got the freya tank to tank the water elemental, while I tanked the snaplasher and storm. I stunned the snaplasher every HoJ CD, and when it had more than 20 stacks of debuff, I moved away from it and it just sits there like a duck. Kill them all at the same time like you would normally.

With our DPS, we usually kill one wave just before the second one spawns (with around 5 secs to spare). It is vitally important you kill iron roots immediately. and any tree spawns (the small trees that grows slowly and heals things).

Once you pass P1 it's a free kill - you just have to avoid the pods on the ground and nuke her like normal... enrage timer wasn't a problem either.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Treck » Mon May 25, 2009 12:49 am

Last Week we were trying with only one elder, the ground tremor one.
After about 2hours of fail on that we killed the elder just to get freya down.
This week we decided to really focus on freya+3 and since we had time we would try to go from freya+0 - freya+3, expecting heavy wiping and tuning.
We ended up oneshotting freya+3 for some reason, 2deaths and 1DC somewhere in the middle of the fight.
Main thing was prolly that ppl actually did what they were suppose to do. But we also figured that 2 raidhealers were pretty optimal healingsetup, since the week before that Pally+priest was way way harder.
What we had:
Prot Pally (waves)
Prot Warr (Freya)
Holy priest
Resto Druid
Hunter
Ele shaman
Enha shaman
Shadowpriest
Retri pally
MS warr.

Seemed soo easy since ppl did what they were suppose to do, and did it pro.
Treck

Postby Faro » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm

semp wrote:Has anyone successfully beat this encounter? What type of group set up were you using? As our 10 man continues to try and unlock Alg, this will be the next hardmode will we be trying for, and any tips/suggestions would be great.

I recommend an Elemental shaman. Seriously. Zero set up for a one shot of both the lifebinder tree and strengthened roots. Having one person assigned to handling both of those makes things so simple, with a back up (we chose a ret) in case the shaman gets stuck in roots.

We used two tanks, prot paladin for adds and warrior for freya. We had a druid healing in greens and naxx10 gear, a holy paladin, and a holy priest.

Like what was said above, lashers are going to be the toughest pack. Keep the raid together for as long as possible without killing any, then scatter and pick them off when you see everyone at full hp and ground tremor on cooldown. Having a tank call out sunbeam is very helpful as it targets your previous position and not where you're currently standing so moving helps lower raid damage. It also spawns the photosynthesis beam iirc, so moving adds whenever a sun beam is coming down is crucial as a full heal on the 3x wave can lead to a wipe.

You might lose people to random bs like roots+photo spawn+ground tremor. It happens. Nobody's fault, we had it happen on our kill. We lost one of our dps and ended up ~30s ahead of the enrage timer, but it was all good.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby PsiVen » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 am

We were surprised with how easy this one turned out to be when we took it seriously. As long as you have a solid strategy for each add wave and new ability, execution is quick to pick up.

Even on the hardest mode, "phase 2" is a joke. Just make sure you don't choke and stand in a pile of bombs ;)
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Fedaykin98 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:00 am

If I wanted to try leaving just one elder up, which one do people recommend?
Fedaykin98

Postby Belloc » Tue May 26, 2009 2:30 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:If I wanted to try leaving just one elder up, which one do people recommend?

We one-shotted Freya + ironbranch (iron roots), having accidentally pulled Freya before finishing off a trash pack (big tree guy + little centaur lady).

All that one adds is Strengthened Iron Roots, which roots a player and does some damage to them. They die quickly enough.
Belloc

Postby Avengeance » Tue May 26, 2009 4:04 pm

I'd recommend the beam guy actually (the one on the left as you walk into the conservatory). The beams just do damage if you walk over it.... and it adds some +spell dmg to the adds.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Faro » Wed May 27, 2009 12:46 pm

We used the beam guy for our +1 but I'd recommend roots to get your one dps used to managing it.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Conaan! » Wed May 27, 2009 11:11 pm

ironbranch is probally the easiest, the problem with doing +spell damage to adds is that you then have to deal with nasty detonating lasher damage, whereas you can continue normal on those, and just change a small tactic on the snap lasher, which is just, hold the other 2, lots of burst threat on snap lasher, some type of damage reduction on you, just long enough to get around 150k threat, then run away, dps keeps going til they are almost threat capped, then lets go, and it resets

the roots arent even that big of a deal either, only during conservator, when you are moving between shrooms (cant attack it, and if you are light on range it kinda sucks) and phase 2, which you just spread out and kite her in a bigger rectangle
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Radience » Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 pm

I solo tanked everything, 2x resto shamans, holy paladin, blood dk, combat rogue, moonkin, spriest, mage and lock. Encounter was much easier than we thought. Quick target switching and moving out from the 'fire' will win the encounter.
Radience

Postby semp » Thu May 28, 2009 5:09 am

We tried +3 last night for the first time. Spent about 6-8 wipes before calling it a night. We were going with War MT, Druid OT, holy pal x2, resto sham, ele sham, DK, mage, lock. Two holy paladins we determined to be very suboptimal for a 3 healer setup. I usually run as ret, so I might have to drop for a holy priest. We will try again tonight. Seems like the detenators are going to be the hardest grouping, maybe we will pop hero early to get them down.
semp

Postby Falibard » Thu May 28, 2009 7:44 am

PsiVen wrote:We were surprised with how easy this one turned out to be when we took it seriously. As long as you have a solid strategy for each add wave and new ability, execution is quick to pick up.

Even on the hardest mode, "phase 2" is a joke. Just make sure you don't choke and stand in a pile of bombs ;)

This. I think we downed it after like 45 minutes of attempts. (We did have previous experience wiping in 25 man though)

Blood DK (me)
Prot War
2 holy priests
1 disc priest
Rogue
DPS War
Hunter
Ret Pally
Warlock (?)

I was tanking Freya with the Disc Priest healing me and shielding the raid to help negate some of the raid damage. If you're tanking Freya help your healers out by calling out Ground Tremor.

The Cliff Notes of the three waves:

- Little Adds: Stack on Freya and aoe until they're at about 20% then prot warrior aoe taunted and ranged nuked then single target anything still up.
- Big tree: Pretty self explanatory. Don't get spell locked or silenced, don't let someone stand under a mushroom with you if they get the debuff.
- Set of three: Warrior tanked the big water elemental. Rogue stun lock tanked the Storm Lasher. Hunter kited the Snaplasher with me Chains of Ice spamming until the Snaplasher becomes immobilized.

From my experience the thing that will cause the most wipes is someone not paying attention and killing one of the three elemental adds too early. Well, that and a dps continuing to aoe the little adds and blowing themselves up. There is a lot of raid damage going on so a holy pally will struggle a lot on this fight.
Falibard

Postby Minarva » Fri May 29, 2009 4:14 am

We did this last week after about an hours tries with 2 tanks and 2 healers setup. With this setup the detonating lasher damage can seem brutal (along with ground tremor the combo is viscous) but with a correct strategy for the lashers and they go down easy. We used a hunter setting down a trap in the middle of freya to slow them down, everyone running out and aoeing the crap out of them before they leave the trap - the best strategy in my opinion (along with immediate stop aoe during ground tremor, detonate/tremor combo will kill people). Worked like a charm - rest of the fight was easy. Setup was:

Tankadin (me) - I took adds for this, my threat is far superior to my druid comrade.
Feral druid
Fury Warrior
Enh Shammy
Unholy DK dps
Survival Hunter
Destruction/demo warlock
Shadow Priest
Holy Priest
Resto druid

We now only have Mimirons hardmode left before Algalon - and it so far is pretty tough in comparison to the others :P We will see how the patch changes things.
Minarva

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon