Remove Advertisements

[10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Postby Belarkan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:35 am

I'm not sure all our abilities profits the singed buff.
It would be definitively unfair against the other tanks.
However, I noticed HotR seems to benefit it since I got almost a 20K crit and it aws my #1 dps ability above ShoR.
Belarkan

Postby Cali » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:11 am

But here is my problem: Why shouldn't it be every ability if all of them are holy dmg?
ShoR is holy dmg, HotR is holy dmg, Judgements and Seals are holy dmg, Consecration and Exorcism are holy dmg but why is there a difference in DMG? What about Retribution Paladins? I didn't try it as Ret, but i think the abilities should be treated the same.

If your #1 dmg ability was HotR there must be something wrong. Either it's a bug and the abilities sometimes don't calculate the Singed debuff in or there must be some hidden mechanic. ShoR and HotR both have the same cooldown and ShoR normally hits for larger amounts especially since there are no adds involved, just some ice tombs here and there.

I don't think it is unfair. It is possible with every tank to beat this hard mode, some tanks profit from other buffs much more than we do but im still searching for a solution to the differences in dmg of some abilities from time to time. I just want to understand this mechanic else i just have to try to taunt at the right moment like before.
Cali

Postby Belarkan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:52 am

It isn't because it does holy damage that it is a spell.
Paladins are a bit weird because some abilities are physical doing holy damages.
If I'm not mistaken, crusader strike is a melee hit hence mitigated by armor but deals holy damages.
Belarkan

Postby Cali » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:41 am

That is not exact:
Crusader Strike vs. ShoR

As you can clearly see, Crusader Strike is marked Physical and ShoR is marked Holy.
All the abilities i named are of School: Holy and i know that some of them function not always like spells and neither like physical attacks.

But i think everyone agrees, that they have seen crazy numbers with their abilities, the piece i'm searching for is:
Why didn't i see these numbers every kill, on every use of my abilities? Is it a bug because of our strange abilities as a paladin? Is there an internal mechanic we don't know of to balance tanks in this harde mode?
Sorry if i'm nitpicking here.
Cali

Postby Jasari » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:46 am

Belarkan wrote:It isn't because it does holy damage that it is a spell.
Paladins are a bit weird because some abilities are physical doing holy damages.
If I'm not mistaken, crusader strike is a melee hit hence mitigated by armor but deals holy damages.

Crusader Strike and Divine Storm both deal physical damage, which is why they're mitigated by armor.

There are some melee attacks however that deal holy damage (like ShoR).
Jasari

Postby Threatco » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:31 am

My grouped downed this hard mode last night. The third hardmode in our progression.

Steelbreaker -> XT -> Hodir

Paladin tank
Holy Priest
Resto druid
Mage x2
Warlock
Moonkin
Ele Shaman
Hunter
Ret Paladin (Me)

We started by all watching the tankspot.com hodir hardmode video on youtube. It is 25 man but covered the important topics.

We tanked boss in the corner by the rare chest. We marked the NPC mage, and only ever broke him out. After flash freeze it was just me breaking him out (In ret it takes just 4 attacks and its free).

The ranged dps all stacked on the moonkin player as much as possible while healers stayed away, that way only dps took the storm cloud buff. When I was the giver of the buff (happened twice) I ran back to ranged and buffed them. Otherwise I just dps like normal since I never can the buff form ranged as they give it to 4 people before I get there.

We had about 4-5 attempts where we had 3 times boss under 20% HP at 30 seconds left. Then we switched out the DK for the second mage, and got it in 3 tries. 1 wipe, 1 very very close but call to be safe (ele sham died and brezed slow), then when we got it we still had almost 20 seconds on the clock.

Very fun and repeatable. the staff dropped, the healers nearly quit the game when all the casters rolled on it "But it doesen't have hit!" they scream. I let the mage win it. But next time looks like I have to reserve it to healers. What are your thoughts?

On to more hardmodes!
Last edited by Threatco on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby amh » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:48 am

Threatco wrote:"But it doesen't have hit!" they scream. I let the mage win it. But next time looks like I have to reserve it to healers. What are your thoughts?

Send your healers to this list: http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2&filter= ... ;crv=0:0:0

If that doesn't sink in, tell them that anything without mp5 (although some items with mp5 are good for dps too!) is up for grabs.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Threatco » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:17 am

My holy priest in particular is always a bit of a loud mouth. He is hardcore about haste. Gears for it about everywhere he can. With the usual mantra "Mana regen is not a problem". Normaly I just ignore him, but our normaly quiet resto druid put up a fuss too. I don't know why he expected it for him so much.

Either way I can't wait for mp5 change to make looting stuff like this simpler.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby smeej » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:37 pm

Got this down last week. One tank, two healers, seven deeps (six of which were melee >_> ). The benefit of having a melee stacked group was that they were almost always going to have the storm cloud buff and if I moved Thorim to nearby light beams, they could easily be taken advantage of. We only freed the mages on flash freeze, used bloodlust when we got stormcloud, and the rest was history. 6-8kdps easy.
smeej

Postby Candiru » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:48 am

If you only free the mages, how do you get stormclouds?

Or do the mages go around freeing the other NPCs for you?
Candiru

Postby amh » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 am

Candiru wrote:Or do the mages go around freeing the other NPCs for you?

Yup
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Dalithe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:16 am

Been doing the 10 man mode for a bit now, staves and bracers no cool weapons. Good thing I got XT'S I guess.

I stand on the fires mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to jump up and down the entire time. We break out the Mage and Shaman and let the others get broken out by the mage. When able I get the boss in range of Moon Beams for melee or myself. The toasty fire range is actually quite forgiving atm. Don't know if it was increased from beginning or not though.

25 man is a difficult one for us atm :(
Dalithe

Postby enix » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:54 am

Quick question: My guild currently runs 3 healers, 5 dps (3-4k), and 2 tanks because one of our tanks isnt duel specced. We kill Hodir in 5 mins 49 seconds. If I had a healer go dps, duel specced the tank, and stacked all dps for the sotrm cloud buff could we do Hodir Hard Mode?
enix

Postby smeej » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:48 am

If your offspec players know their dps specs and understand how the buffs work, they should be able to contribute (assuming your mainspec players know how to do the same :p). We had an undergeared alt pulling 5.5k dps.
smeej

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:54 pm

Threatco wrote:Very fun and repeatable. the staff dropped, the healers nearly quit the game when all the casters rolled on it "But it doesen't have hit!" they scream. I let the mage win it. But next time looks like I have to reserve it to healers. What are your thoughts?

Most of the best weapons for casters don't have hit. Hit = DPS only, mp5 = caster only, anything else is fair game for everyone.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon