Remove Advertisements

[10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Postby Belloc » Thu May 21, 2009 11:41 am

As far as resist goes, since our very first kill, we've used belt and chest on our tanks. 2 pieces + aura is plenty of resistance. Try to make sure you have your set bonuses and such for threat as well. If nothing else, get MD's and tricks as often as possible.
Belloc

Postby steadypal » Thu May 21, 2009 11:43 am

ya first attempt hunter didnt have MD macro for me... nub feral/rogue pulled aggro,,

might not have a hunter there next week tho,,

so belt/chest only? so your saying roughly around 300 resist minimum buffed? is there a number i should shoot for, or just belt/chest? 300, or what??

also if i do need more threat, which potion would be best? haste pot, or wild magic pot? and flask of AP as well right?
steadypal

Postby Fogie » Thu May 21, 2009 11:53 am

Yet to have an issue with this when not using FR gear, but it definitely can't hurt if you aren't threat capping your DPS.
Fogie

Postby Seloei » Fri May 22, 2009 10:31 am

Yell at your casters/ranged to keep the singed stack up, it's 50% extra spelldamage done so that means 100% more threat done for paladins. I've yet to see once when any of the dps got close to either of our paladins tanking.
Also, his tauntable if you see his about to overagro hit the taunt button and you *should* get his threat again.

300 frost resist is enough for this fight.
Seloei

Postby Thark » Fri May 22, 2009 11:16 am

I do it with the Chest and Belt and FrR aura as well. I never seem to have threat or survival issues. I do call for misdirects and such at the beginning of the fight, use wings, and stand in the beams as much as possible.

Because I don't seem to have issues with it, I'll generally tell DPS that it's fine if they stand on top of me in the beam. I don't notice any issues with them attacking from the front when necessary, but I don't have enough of a threat lead to be comfortable with them having it and me not. Although isn't the buff 100% haste or something? It really probably has a minimal impact, and as Seloei says the singed debuff is probably much better for our threat.
Thark

Postby Nadir » Sat May 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Belloc wrote:
Nadir wrote:If you're capable of doing the hard mode version, frost resist gear isn't a necessity. I'd recommend gearing for threat.

Setup wise, a 2 heal/7 dps/1 tank group works fine. My 10 man group had 48 seconds to spare - yet we're 10 seconds too slow on the 25 man version. :P

Take notice of the white beams that spawn throughout the room. DPS will love you if you always move Hodir so that a beam is within melee range, behind/to the side of Hodir.

I'm going to disagree with your frost resist gear comment. Without frost gear, not only is the raid taking massive damage during frozen blows, but the tank is losing 3/4's of his health every time he gets hit.

We've done this two weeks in a row, both times with 2 pieces of frost resist gear on the tank. Only one of our players has any threat issues, and that's a mage. He can invis and receive a hand of salv mid fight, so threat is never an issue.

Ok, here are some actual figures from my 10 man. The only frost resist I had was from an aura.

Frozen Blows average damage: 15,387 (range 8000 to 20000)
Melee hit average damage: 7,531 (range 900 - 11000)

I had 46k HP raid buffed. At no time did I ever lose 3/4th of my health per a single hit. At most it was 44%.
Nadir

Postby Avengeance » Sun May 24, 2009 5:47 am

One shotted Hodir 10 hard mode the other day without using any FR except aura. His frozen blows in 10 men dont hurt - besides since the fight is so short you have shieldwall ready for 2 times, and maybe a glyphed salv in between (or a healer CD). We ran 2 healers and raid wasnt anywhere near dying.
Avengeance of Boulderfist-EU
Guild Master of High Tempest
Avengeance

Postby Arcia » Tue May 26, 2009 9:11 am

Could anyone go into a bit more detail about how the signed debuff works please?
Arcia

Postby Salamandra » Tue May 26, 2009 10:16 am

Arcia wrote:Could anyone go into a bit more detail about how the signed debuff works please?

Whenever someone who's standing close to a fire (close enough to get the Toasty Fire buff) does an offensive spell (or spell-like thing, Explosive Shot works) against Hodir it has a 30% chance of applying the Singed debuff. This debuff stacks up to 25 times and increases magic damage taken by 2% each stack. The debuff lasts for 25 seconds, so once it's stacked up 1 person keeping next to the fire is enough.
Salamandra

Postby Seloei » Tue May 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Salamandra wrote:
Arcia wrote:Could anyone go into a bit more detail about how the signed debuff works please?

Whenever someone who's standing close to a fire (close enough to get the Toasty Fire buff) does an offensive spell (or spell-like thing, Explosive Shot works) against Hodir it has a 30% chance of applying the Singed debuff. This debuff stacks up to 25 times and increases magic damage taken by 2% each stack. The debuff lasts for 25 seconds, so once it's stacked up 1 person keeping next to the fire is enough.

You forgot to mention that all ranged attacks can proc it also. Explosive shot however gives you '4 chances' per time it's used.

Toasty Fire
Seloei

Postby majiben » Tue May 26, 2009 11:48 pm

important to note that your ranged dps want to be standing close to the fire but not so close that they cause ice to spawn above it.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Onore » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:04 am

Took our team 10 tries to get this. 1st try went really good until someone died and after that couple more died and we were ~10% with 30 seconds to go to 3min.

The last try we got it down at 2min53sec even though we had 1 dead. It's very luck factored fight if people don't get the buffs.

These hard modes are very good fun and enjoyment.
Onore

Postby Sober » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:33 am

So we spent about an hour an a half but to no avail. Closest attempt was about 20% with a minute to go but people started dying at the Frozen Blows. Ran it with 2 resto shammies.

Anyways, I was wondering how well our strat was working. I would hug the wall to the right of the room (by the mage) and would just stay there. MD/ToT on CD. No beams, occasional storm, ceiling collapses on me are all or none that attempt; they either showed up under my feet or never did. We tried a couple of attempts in that fashion to try to squeeze all the NPC buffs in that portion of the room. I held aggro fine with MDs, but just wondering:

-Storm Cloud has 4 charges, should that person run to, or people should run to them? Should it be melee -> autospread; healer/ranged - run to them?
-Should ranged use the moonbeam to apply the Singed buff then if available?
-Any hard and fast rule to always be in a moonbeam except to nab a Storm Cloud buff/not close enough to a camp fire?
-ran this without a dispeller (just me), so Frozen Blows is a bitch here since the raid is super clumped; frost nova gets more people, then the block lands for instant-dead basically; is localizing all the action to one part of the room (to the right) a poor choice and should I just go with kiting Hodir around the center of the room? The problem with that is it gets messy with controlling who gets the crit buff.
Sober

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:47 am

I can't think of any reason why you'd want to tank him at the edge of the room. If you're alert for ice, you should be keeping him very near the center and tanking him right next to light beams for the melee to use.

As to your healing problem, positioning will need to be perfect and folks can't afford to get hit by falling snow during Frozen Blows with two shamans. Make sure they're split for healing stream.

Storm Cloud people should be running, not making others run to them. Have someone paying attention to it and calling it out. If it's the tank, have the melee crowd around to get buffed. If it's a melee or ranged, have them spread it nearby. If it's 2 melee in a row, have the 2nd run to the ranged to charge them. Casters who are paying attention will put out obscene damage with Singed + Moonbeam + Storm Power. Everyone should be in a moonbeam whenever possible, moving to a nearby one if you get snow falling or dodging it and going back to that beam. The best policy we found was having everyone clump together on a marked person staying in beams and dodging snow together, and nearly every melee who gets Cloud runs straight to them to discharge. This ensures that the casters are constantly getting max buffs.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Cali » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:29 am

I have a question about the Singed debuff.

As i first learned about the hard mode tactics (with the 2 minutes timer), i was sure that my dps and tps on that fight will be over the top. We tried it and couldn't get it by 10 seconds back then, now after the nerf the timer isn't our problem... BUT i constantly see that my attacks don't get buffed by Singed.
Last time i recognised it, because i saw a 25k (or something) ShoR crit while under the Storm Cloud buff and without it, even while singed was up (our firemage pulled aggro with 30k TPS), i did normal damage and merely 6k TPS.

I didn't find any information about that and i found a way to work around (it's just taunting in the right moment and profiting of the high tps of our fire mage + some really big luck) but has anyone else seen such strange behaviours?
Cali

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon