[10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Postby steadypal » Sun May 17, 2009 10:46 am

Subject title ninja edited. --Guillex

how tough is this to beat? does this involve 1 healer, 1 tank, and 8 non tard dps, and all the dps MUST get the buffs from the npc's in order to beat the timer? is there a dps that helps heal during frozen blows?

how hard is the 3 minute timer? are guilds barely beating it by a few seconds?

what are the good strats to use, i've read, all melee, raid just stacks behind hodir and moves when needed... get alot of ranged, and give them the crit buff at all times and stand in the beams? what is it? pst...
steadypal

Re: hodir 10man, hard mode

Postby Panzerdin » Sun May 17, 2009 1:07 pm

The 3 minute timer is pretty damn easy (relatively speaking). He has 8,115,990 HP, so you need 45k Raid DPS to do it. Assuming you're getting 3k from your tank, you need 6k per DPSer (if you go 1/2/7), which isn't much of an ask with the NPS buffs.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Re: hodir 10man, hard mode

Postby Invisusira » Sun May 17, 2009 3:57 pm

We don't use any special makeup for 10m Ulduar and, with the new timer, get this easily. 1 tank, 2 healers, 7 dps (usually a mix of casters/physical/ranged/melee). I <3s mai neon green shield.
Invisusira

Re: [10] Hodir - Hard Mode

Postby semp » Mon May 18, 2009 5:52 am

we use the 1 tank, 7 dps, 2 healer and easily beat this enoucter by 30 seconds. Just make sure your tank has some of the frost resist gear to help kep him up during frozen blows a bit easier.
semp

Postby Nadir » Mon May 18, 2009 6:31 am

If you're capable of doing the hard mode version, frost resist gear isn't a necessity. I'd recommend gearing for threat.

Setup wise, a 2 heal/7 dps/1 tank group works fine. My 10 man group had 48 seconds to spare - yet we're 10 seconds too slow on the 25 man version. :P

Take notice of the white beams that spawn throughout the room. DPS will love you if you always move Hodir so that a beam is within melee range, behind/to the side of Hodir.
Nadir

Postby Belloc » Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 am

Nadir wrote:If you're capable of doing the hard mode version, frost resist gear isn't a necessity. I'd recommend gearing for threat.

Setup wise, a 2 heal/7 dps/1 tank group works fine. My 10 man group had 48 seconds to spare - yet we're 10 seconds too slow on the 25 man version. :P

Take notice of the white beams that spawn throughout the room. DPS will love you if you always move Hodir so that a beam is within melee range, behind/to the side of Hodir.

I'm going to disagree with your frost resist gear comment. Without frost gear, not only is the raid taking massive damage during frozen blows, but the tank is losing 3/4's of his health every time he gets hit.

We've done this two weeks in a row, both times with 2 pieces of frost resist gear on the tank. Only one of our players has any threat issues, and that's a mage. He can invis and receive a hand of salv mid fight, so threat is never an issue.
Belloc

Postby Araiken » Mon May 18, 2009 3:05 pm

We do 1 tank and 2 healers and 7 DPS and We wear our full frost resist gear. However we have a rogue use ToT ever CD. Last week we did it with 2 rogues and had our hunter die at 40% and still had like 15 seconds.
Araiken

Postby Faro » Mon May 18, 2009 4:41 pm

I use the belt/boots socketed for stamina and solo tank it. I also constantly move the boss to make sure our melee are in starlight, and all of our casters stay in the fire to keep the singed debuff up. Nobody really has threat issues (except our dk) and with any luck (one storm cloud in the caster group) you should be able to kill it in ~2:15-2:30. I think our comp was something silly like dk/ret/rogue/warlock/mage/boomkin/spriest with a resto shaman and holy priest healing.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Dakiros » Tue May 19, 2009 8:20 am

With 3 healers the closest my guild has gotten is just under 6 minutes which baffles me. My guild is full of good players, we one shotted most of the bosses in here and are currently working on Mimsy. Our last raid we were concentrating on having the tank move Hodir so that melee could be in the sunbeams as much as possible (ret pally, rogue, fury warr, arms warr, and boomkin I think was what we had for dps) but still didn't come close. Would adding that extra DPS really make up 3 minutes? Should we be wearing frost resist to ease the burden on our healers? We're all mostly in Naxx25/Uld10 gear and from all the comments here it sounds like we should be getting this easy. Anyone have any thoughts?
Dakiros

Postby Jasari » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 am

Dakiros wrote:With 3 healers the closest my guild has gotten is just under 6 minutes which baffles me. My guild is full of good players, we one shotted most of the bosses in here and are currently working on Mimsy. Our last raid we were concentrating on having the tank move Hodir so that melee could be in the sunbeams as much as possible (ret pally, rogue, fury warr, arms warr, and boomkin I think was what we had for dps) but still didn't come close. Would adding that extra DPS really make up 3 minutes? Should we be wearing frost resist to ease the burden on our healers? We're all mostly in Naxx25/Uld10 gear and from all the comments here it sounds like we should be getting this easy. Anyone have any thoughts?

Going from 6 DPS to 7 should be somewhere between a 10-14% increase in raid DPS. It won't bring you from 6min to 3min, but it'll take off quite a bit of time. I think the tank should be wearing ~2 pieces of FR, but none of the DPS should. It can be done with no FR at all, but it's easier with a couple pieces.
Jasari

Postby Belloc » Tue May 19, 2009 10:06 am

Dakiros wrote:With 3 healers the closest my guild has gotten is just under 6 minutes which baffles me. My guild is full of good players, we one shotted most of the bosses in here and are currently working on Mimsy. Our last raid we were concentrating on having the tank move Hodir so that melee could be in the sunbeams as much as possible (ret pally, rogue, fury warr, arms warr, and boomkin I think was what we had for dps) but still didn't come close. Would adding that extra DPS really make up 3 minutes? Should we be wearing frost resist to ease the burden on our healers? We're all mostly in Naxx25/Uld10 gear and from all the comments here it sounds like we should be getting this easy. Anyone have any thoughts?

Simply put, your raiders aren't taking advantage of the buffs. That's all it is.

Your ranged need to always be within range of a fire and a light beam. This means that they won't be required to move for the biting cold debuff (but they will have to for icicles). It doesn't hurt if melee are near a fire as well, but that is not required (they can just jump in place). All DPS need to be in a light beam (healers should be, as well).

The hard mode is all about stacking up. Melee stack on one person, ranged stand on a person. Everyone moves when an icicle falls and then moves back. Everyone pewpews as hard as they can with minimal movement.
Belloc

Postby Dakiros » Tue May 19, 2009 12:09 pm

Belloc wrote:

Simply put, your raiders aren't taking advantage of the buffs. That's all it is.

Your ranged need to always be within range of a fire and a light beam. This means that they won't be required to move for the biting cold debuff (but they will have to for icicles). It doesn't hurt if melee are near a fire as well, but that is not required (they can just jump in place). All DPS need to be in a light beam (healers should be, as well).

The hard mode is all about stacking up. Melee stack on one person, ranged stand on a person. Everyone moves when an icicle falls and then moves back. Everyone pewpews as hard as they can with minimal movement.

That's what we were doing which is why I am so baffled by the result. Other than having 1 too many healers we seem to be doing everything that everyone else is doing. I know personally I was always in a spotlight when I could be and I barely broke 5k dps is fairly decent ret gear (I'm wearing it on my armory if you are curious). Our fury warrior and the rogue were also over 5k but still under 6. Seems like taking the time to bust the NPCs out of the ice blocks is killing our dps.
Dakiros

Postby Faro » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 pm

Belloc wrote:Simply put, your raiders aren't taking advantage of the buffs. That's all it is.

That's pretty much it. Casters not standing in fire and keeping singed on the boss or not standing in a moonbeam while it's next to the fire combined with storm clouds going to melee can make this a ridiculous task. Make sure everyone's utilizing encounter mechanics and you're breaking the adds when they get frozen.
"Safiyas, if you don't stop screwing up I'm going to replace you with someone that has a Y chromosome." -Laethalas
Nikachelle on the Jewelcrafting Nerf- "Called my boyfriend up and told him. Think I ruined his day. :s"
Faro

Postby Belloc » Tue May 19, 2009 1:31 pm

Dakiros wrote:
Belloc wrote:

That's what we were doing which is why I am so baffled by the result. Other than having 1 too many healers we seem to be doing everything that everyone else is doing. I know personally I was always in a spotlight when I could be and I barely broke 5k dps is fairly decent ret gear (I'm wearing it on my armory if you are curious). Our fury warrior and the rogue were also over 5k but still under 6. Seems like taking the time to bust the NPCs out of the ice blocks is killing our dps.

If busting the NPCs out is taking a long time, then you have raiders that aren't helping on them. It takes our 10-man about 5-7 seconds to break all of the iceblocks, max.

Also, you might not be spreading the storm cloud buff around enough. Whoever gets the cloud needs to touch other players so that they get the crit buff.

As a point of reference, our best rogue and mage did 9k dps on our last kill. As ret, I did about 5k. I definitely have room for improvement.
Belloc

Postby steadypal » Thu May 21, 2009 11:01 am

okay last night was first time trying this, and after 4 attempts we got this, first 3 were failures cause ppl dying to stupid stuff, and another someone said it was 3 minutes, and then everybody gave up, yet his cache stayed up for another 15seconds, with hodir at like 500k...

biggest problem for me tho was that, if hunter/rogue wasnt MD/tricking me, i'd be struggling to get the aggro at the starts of the fights... i was using 3pc frost resist, is that to much? should i be wearing 2? what is the golden number for resist on this fight, 10 and 25man?

oh and FTL, the caster staff dropped,,
steadypal

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon