Remove Advertisements

Having issues MTing 25 man...

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Having issues MTing 25 man...

Postby milabrega » Wed May 13, 2009 8:35 pm

So I was recently promoted to MT of the guild. We're doing Ulduar progression at the moment. TBH, I don't know what the problem is, but I just keep dying in some fights because I take too much damage or my dodges aren't going through. 10 mans, I have no problem MTing, but 25 man is just hard for some reason...

Here's a link to my armory:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Milabrega

An example of a fight where I would die while MTing is the Iron Council...
When I'm tanking Steelbreaker, I just get hit super hard... like around 17k per blow?....and I hardly dodge anything.

Some advice would be great... and I'm new to the forums so I'm probably gonna get flamed for not searching around enough, but I'm a lazy bastard. :(

Thanks for any advice that's given in advance if I'm not on to show my gratitude...
milabrega

Re: Having issues MTing 25 man...

Postby Zoltar » Wed May 13, 2009 9:38 pm

Steelbreaker hits hard, 17K sounds normal. You should be getting focused heals but either way surviving 2 hits shouldn't be a problem. Are you cleansing the dot off yourself after the fusion punch? That needs to be your priority as the dot is very nasty.
I always nominate myself to cleanse it rather than wasting a healer's CD.

Can't see your armory link at work sorry so can't comment on that.
Zoltar

Postby Kuridan » Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Everything hits hard in Ulduar, 17k from Steelbreaker sounds normal to me. Your healers need to be on top of things. Looking at your gear I see you've at least made it to Auriaya on 25 so I guess you've worked it out.
Kuridan

Postby milabrega » Wed May 13, 2009 10:01 pm

Zoltar wrote:Steelbreaker hits hard, 17K sounds normal. You should be getting focused heals but either way surviving 2 hits shouldn't be a problem. Are you cleansing the dot off yourself after the fusion punch? That needs to be your priority as the dot is very nasty.
I always nominate myself to cleanse it rather than wasting a healer's CD.

Can't see your armory link at work sorry so can't comment on that.

Eh, usually my healers cleanse fast enough before I'm able to cleanse...

Kuridan wrote:Everything hits hard in Ulduar, 17k from Steelbreaker sounds normal to me. Your healers need to be on top of things. Looking at your gear I see you've at least made it to Auriaya on 25 so I guess you've worked it out.

Not really... I got it back when we still had our druid MT... But she quit. The naxx geared druids in my guild can MT better than me T.T... WTB their dodge abilities :(

All right cool... at least with the info you guys have provided it takes quite a bit off my chest. Thanks!
milabrega

Postby milabrega » Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Kuridan wrote:Your healers need to be on top of things.

I'm pretty sure the healers aren't the problem because I usually get hit by stuff from steelbreaker and then die instantly before they can even do nething. I think it's just that my dodges aren't going through tbh :(
milabrega

Postby Cali » Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 pm

Your Equipment is well optimized, you could get a little more HP but it's ok.

I think your problem are your healers! If they can't keep you up, its because they start too late.
The biggest advantage of a druid is their max HP, they can chew up more hits than us and so don't need to be healed asap.

I tanked everything in Ulduar up to Mimiron, both 10 and 25, and it was never a problem. We usually run with 7 Healers, but are now maximizing their performance to get around with 6.
Cali

Postby Worldie » Thu May 14, 2009 1:07 am

Milabrega wrote:
Eh, usually my healers cleanse fast enough before I'm able to cleanse...

Actually this might be your issue, since to Cleanse you they are not healing you. Tell them to focus on healing and leave the Cleanse to yourself.

Milabrega wrote:Not really... I got it back when we still had our druid MT... But she quit. The naxx geared druids in my guild can MT better than me T.T... WTB their dodge abilities :(

You might be surprised to know that a Druid's Dodge % is generally lower than your Parry + Dodge combined.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby milabrega » Thu May 14, 2009 1:52 am

Cali wrote:Your Equipment is well optimized, you could get a little more HP but it's ok.

I think your problem are your healers! If they can't keep you up, its because they start too late.
The biggest advantage of a druid is their max HP, they can chew up more hits than us and so don't need to be healed asap.

I tanked everything in Ulduar up to Mimiron, both 10 and 25, and it was never a problem. We usually run with 7 Healers, but are now maximizing their performance to get around with 6.

Ah. Hm, all righty then. Thanks a lot for the info!
milabrega

Postby Funtodin » Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 am

Are you moving out of the runes of power quickly enough? Put Runemaster on focus and as he casts it move away preemptively, because Steelbreaker has a big hitbox, one of his feet over the rune can cause your death, especially if he does a fusion punch at the same time. It's happened to me once and it was pretty much gg, next attempt.
Funtodin

Postby Snippy » Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 am

While a tank is supposed to just be a tank... not all tanks are created equal.

Don't feel bad if there are certian things you just can't tank. There are certian fights where a different class is still better. General for example. Anyone can tank him, however paladins are going to suffer on mana, warriors have to kite all over the darn place, and deathkights make the fight a tank and spank, cake walk.

Steelbreaker... well... he's a jerk to Paladins. Just have another class tank it. Being part of a guild and wanting to move forward may require you to tank other things, OT, or just dps some fights. The title "maintank" is always a bad idea for guilds (imho), b/c it sets unrealistic expectations. Again, not all tanks are created equal. There are some fights and bosses I just will never tank. Even my guild's "maintank" ends up in dps gear for a few bosses.
Steph - 80 Paladin
<Infernal Regions>
Server: Lothar
www.wowgirlsgonewild.com
Snippy

Postby CircuAuchindoun » Thu May 14, 2009 8:32 am

I'm going to have to agree with an above poster, the importance of having healers "wake up" for Ulduar after face rolling Naxx for so long just cant be stressed enough. Personally I still tank the majority of the encounters for my guild with out an issue. Tossing out healing assignments in Naxx was totally pointless, but you should get in the habit of having 2-3 on "MT" and 1-2 on whoever is running adds around or taunting for d-buffs etc. I highly recommend securely attaching disc Priest to your hip.
In the early phases of Ulduar progression I stepped down and allowed our Druid to MT Steelbreaker and focused on Runemaster. However as of late there where two weeks that my druid has died, likely from his inability to self cleanse and healers all on GCDs. I have then taunted Steelbreaker and demanded excessive healing while the DPS finish him off (this problem has occurred only sub 25-20% thankfully). So what I'm getting at here: yes, you can tank Steelbreaker, you just need the heals to do it.
CircuAuchindoun

Postby Candiru » Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 am

Tanking steelbreaker should be fine until you get a fusion punch + rune of power combo. This will one-shot you.

What you need to do is have the runemaster in a focus frame, and when you see him target steelbreaker RUN AWAY, since that means he is casting a rune of power on steelbreaker.

Also, self-cleanse spam as soon as fusion punch starts getting over half-way through the cast.

If you see a rune coming which you cannot avoid in time, hit shield wall.
Candiru

Postby Conaan! » Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 am

Milabrega wrote:
Kuridan wrote:Your healers need to be on top of things.

I'm pretty sure the healers aren't the problem because I usually get hit by stuff from steelbreaker and then die instantly before they can even do nething. I think it's just that my dodges aren't going through tbh :(

this is real content, in real content, you can not have 1 healer keep you up easy, for example, azgalor in hyjal used to hit for 8k melee, 9k cleaves (if i remember correctly), guess what, you MAYBE had 18k hp at that time, bosses taking half your health in swings isnt a new thing, and its gonna be the trend in all the content thats up and coming

get your healers awake, cleanse yourself, have 2 healers throw bomb heal as soon as punch lands, and your golden
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Tiandelin » Thu May 14, 2009 8:54 am

I never had any trouble tanking Steelbreaker except for occasions where I personally screwed up. Generally, it's been not moving him out of the runes fast enough (as Funtodin noted, watch Molgeim's casting bar and move Steelbreaker before he finishes laying down the rune) or not cleansing fusion punch fast enough. As noted above, you do not want one of your healers doing this, since it means they have to stop healing for a moment, which can be lethal in Ulduar. I firmly believe that paladins make the best tanks for him for this reason. Just watch his casting bar and stop your rotation briefly to slam cleanse.

It's true that there are certain fights in this instance that lend themselves to different tanks. A hit-capped warrior is best on Auriaya to break fears and stop her sentinel blast. A DK/warrior is best on Brundir on the Iron Council due to interrupts. Paladins are best on Hodir since they benefit greatly from the magic damage debuff that ranged put on him, making threat less of an issue. DKs can IBF through every surge on Vexaz so you don't have to move him (external cooldowns can work for other tanks, though). However, my guild's done most of these fights with "non-optimal" tanks, it just requires a little bit more planning.

Also, YMMV, but I've found that stacking armor can be very helpful too on most fights. I basically have a permanent indestructible pot on me in my main gear set at this point, and it shaves several thousand damage off bosses that hit for massive amounts. In the end though, almost all bosses in Ulduar hit very hard, and they hit any variety of tank very hard. Healers have to be on the ball or you're going to die no matter how much health you have.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby Sinnegorth » Thu May 14, 2009 10:29 am

Snippy wrote:While a tank is supposed to just be a tank... not all tanks are created equal.

Don't feel bad if there are certian things you just can't tank. There are certian fights where a different class is still better. General for example. Anyone can tank him, however paladins are going to suffer on mana, warriors have to kite all over the darn place, and deathkights make the fight a tank and spank, cake walk.

Steelbreaker... well... he's a jerk to Paladins. Just have another class tank it. Being part of a guild and wanting to move forward may require you to tank other things, OT, or just dps some fights. The title "maintank" is always a bad idea for guilds (imho), b/c it sets unrealistic expectations. Again, not all tanks are created equal. There are some fights and bosses I just will never tank. Even my guild's "maintank" ends up in dps gear for a few bosses.

Snippy is right on this. I am a GL and I use a tank pool. Avoid the danger of the epeen MT label. For example, when other guilds were having trouble with Pathwerk's hurtfuls, we simply put in our two druid tanks because their mechanics. Use the best tank for the job end of story and don't be bent if it's not you.
Sinnegorth

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon