Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Freya Tips/Tricks

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25] Freya Tips/Tricks

Postby dunnark » Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 am

So I am looking for some ideas on the Freya encounter.

There are 3 different add groups, and so far we have working strategies for 2 of the 3.

For the Ancient Conservator, its pretty easy, Tank him, get yourself under a mushroom if you don't want to be silenced.

For the Detonating Lashers, it just takes some getting used to. Our strategy was simply to all stack up on the boss and aoe these guys down to around 35-40%. At 40% we spread out and single target them down. This avoids too many folks taking damage when they die. Once we got a good handle on how quickly they were dropped and when to split up, this part is easy.

The Three Elementals is where we have trouble (and some of this may go away when we give it a try on 25 man, so I will be interested in folk's experience in 25 man). In our 10 man we brought 2 tanks, 3 healers, and 5 dps. If we AoE and semi-stack up we could well get all the elementals down at about the same time, but we run the good risk of Snaplasher single shotting folks. Pull him out, kite him and split the dps up (including keeping an eye for the Tree/Lifebender's Gift), we have a trouble getting them down close at about the same time as each other. Doesn't help that Snaplasher shouldn't be in melee unless you are sure a ranged has the aggro and that Ancient Water Spirit keeps charging all over the raid (making it hard for anybody but ranged to keep a good flow of dps).

So what's tips do you all have for this phase of the fight?
dunnark

Re: [10/25] Freya Tips/Tricks

Postby inthedrops » Tue May 05, 2009 11:39 am

What we do:

If there are three add tanks then each tank gets an add. We plan out who gets what ahead of time. Otherwise one tank gets the snaplasher and the other tank gets the other two.

1. Everyone DPS's the snap lasher first. Get it to about 15 to 25% and stop so that the buffs have a chance to drop off it so it can be tanked and dps'd again soon. The tank on the snap lasher tells the raid when to stop.
2. Melee then switches to the storm lasher and ranged switch over to start softening up the elemental. Ranged knows to watch threat on the elemental as that's the hardest one to build threat on.
3. Melee stay on the stormlasher until the tank tells them to switch (about 15%) at which point they help with the elemental.
4. At this point everyone is on the elemental and they drop it to about 15% like the others.
5. Finally they all get burned down at once.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Tue May 05, 2009 11:56 am

On 10 man, i pick up the snaplasher while tanking freya, and build threat on him, while the rest of the raid takes down the elemental and storm lasher to about 20-15%. Once their at that level, i stun the snaplasher and then run away with freya to somewhere far, he gets slowed a bit and with atleast some slow effects from someone it will not even reach you before it dies.
Also, the timer for respawns seems to changed to 1 minute after the kill, atleast thats what dbm kept on spamming for me last time i did him. I however, seriously doubt it because their supposed to die near the same time.

On 25 man, we have 1 tank each and run with 4 tanks on that fight. Each one picks up one mob on that encounter with the one who can interupt picks up the storm lasher and elemental. I forgot which ones can be interupted and who can be stunned. The second pala picks up the snaplasher and burns him down and dps stops every time he hits 30-40 stacks and then everyone stops dps on him for it to reset. Some of the dps goes on the storm and elemental and we bring them to 10%, the snaplasher should be around 60-70% when the other 2 reach that, if not lower. Then we do the same, Hammer of Justice stun and then chains of ice spam to finish off the snaplasher, burn it down and then kill the last one. The pala tank runs away from the snaplasher not to get oneshoted.

Once you figure out how to do the trio pack, the fight is basicly done for.

for the detonating lashers, we just run together and aoe them until their at 20-30% or so, then single target kill them and the raid spreads out a bit. Most of the aoe damage is just outhealed. But i saw that Method used a warrior using challenging shout ( aoe taunt? ), ran out of the raid and had them frozen still by mages and aoe'd down. Druids have that same ability also, dk/palas don't.

Check out the movies for method and ensidia hardmode kills for good advice.
Seloei

Postby Belloc » Tue May 05, 2009 12:22 pm

The way I have my group do it is to single target the elemental to 20%, the storm lasher to 20%, and then burn the snaplasher down. When Snaplasher hits 50%, chain stuns on it. You could, at this point, run away from it to be totally safe. I haven't done that yet, but I will during 2/3 elder attempts :)
Belloc

Postby PsiVen » Tue May 05, 2009 12:33 pm

What we do with that set is all melee on the Stormlasher, all ranged on the elemental, and both switch to the Snaplasher when their targets are low. Chain stuns and IBF as it goes down. Only one add tank is needed, maybe a second as a feral in DPS gear.

It's *not* a good idea to run away from it melee are anywhere near, as it will eventually get rooted and swing at whatever's close. Just shieldwall if it might get unstunned.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Barsine » Tue May 05, 2009 1:24 pm

Warrior MT on Freya.
Me on Water+Storm elemental.
Feral druid on Snaplasher.

Basically, I throw an AS as soon as they spawn, thus both making them not going for healers, and also slowing them making it fairly easy for the feral to pick it up. Then he just kites the Snaplasher until it's dead, with the DK doing OP chains of ice alternated with a stun. We divide our dps in 3 groups (with no melees on the Snaplasher) and don't have any problems there. Our problems are much more simple and requires replacement of certain people... :roll:
Barsine

Postby Seloei » Wed May 06, 2009 12:09 am

PsiVen wrote:It's *not* a good idea to run away from it melee are anywhere near, as it will eventually get rooted and swing at whatever's close. Just shieldwall if it might get unstunned.

Unless someone is stupid, he won't get rooted because roots are not 'on-proc' spells. He would have to cast the immobilize spell for him to turn around to twat the melee. Or if you are running with pvp speced dps, who has improved slows that also immobilize...
Seloei

Postby Nalyn » Wed May 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Belloc wrote:The way I have my group do it is to single target the elemental to 20%, the storm lasher to 20%, and then burn the snaplasher down.

^^ This.

Being a pally makes one tank on all 3 a good bit simpler, as you can build significant threat on targets you're not actively targeting.

The way I do it, shield throw to pick up the adds, whack the water elemental a couple times to get enough agro on it, maybe 1.5 to 2 full threat rotations, then as the tank, I switch to the snaplasher, and hit it for 2 threat rotations, then I go back and target the stormlasher to make sure I've got enough of a lead on it, it's very possible that you'll be able to hold the stormlasher with just consecrates, HoR's, ret aura, and holy shield procs.

As for dps, take the elemental down to 20% (you may have to adjust this depending on your raid make-up, if you have a lot of classes that deal collateral damage, ie ret pallies, dps warriors, dps dk's, you may need to stop at 30%, or even 50), dps then switches to the stormlasher, take it down to 20% (this one may need a bit more breathing room as well, depending on your raid dps), then everyone targets the snaplasher and burns it as quickly as they can from full to zero, then goes back and finishes off the other two. It maybe handy to tell your ranged to go elemental -> storm -> snap -> elemental, as the elemental is going to charge around like an idiot, and tell your melees to go elemental -> storm -> snap -> storm.
Nalyn

Postby Splug » Thu May 07, 2009 1:29 pm

The ancient water spirit's autoattacks are frost if I remember correctly. On 10, we just have an arms or fury warrior tank him in full damage gear. On 25, we use a full-time tank, but we don't tank the snaplasher at all. We assign a damage-deathknight to run around behind it spamming chains of ice.

-Splug
Active raid character: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... an&n=Spyte
255 characters is not enough to fit my alts' armories in.
Splug
Maintankadonor

Postby Corpsicle » Fri May 08, 2009 11:58 am

I haven't seen this fight on 25 man, just 10 man. What I do on the lashers is watch for the low health ones and then use Righteous Defense or Hand of Reckoning to pull them out of the raid to me. While taunt is active on the target, they will follow you. They return to random targetting once the taunt wears off so I try to time it so they die en route to me. Alternatively, I pull them off our aoe/healers with a taunt if anyone gets below half health.

For the three pack, I pick them up with an avenger's shield, then tank the Elemental with Exorcism/Av. Shield when he is out of range, shield of righteousness when he's in range, and whatever ticks of consecrate/hammer of righteousness he gets. I target the Stormlasher for melee attacks, hammer, judgement. The Snaplasher is held with just aoe threat from holy shield, hammer of righteous, and consecrate. DPS mostly just aoes things down, we have a mostly caster group at the moment. If any of the three adds gets particularly off from the others in hp percentage, I call out in vent for a quick burn to catch up and then we finish aoeing things down.
Corpsicle

Postby Funtodin » Fri May 08, 2009 2:39 pm

We just put 2 hunters building threat and kiting the snaplasher while we burn the other 2 down to 20-30%.
Just switch to the snaplasher and kill it quickly while stunning at low % hp, run out of melee range, avenger shield on your way out and taunt from a distance as it's about to die, just to avoid getting yourself or any melee gibbed, in case they pass the hunters' threat.
Funtodin

Postby Amran20 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:25 am

On 10 we just have a Paladin tank all 3 things. Haven't wiped on Freya yet =P

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby Elsie » Sat May 09, 2009 9:50 pm

We just aoe all three. At 40 debuffs, a DK uses chains of ice and kites snap lasher.
Elsie

Postby Joasuf » Wed May 13, 2009 3:18 am

I have solo Tanked Freya and the adds on 10 man. All we do is aoe the 3 down and keep the snaplasher stunned. I pop a cooldown when the buff gets high to avoid any accidents.
Joasuf

Postby doteh » Thu May 14, 2009 5:12 am

10man i tank the snaplasher with freya, once it gets to about 20 stacks i move to range and hold agro from range( if you position right you can hammer freya and get the lasher with the bounce) not had a problem with mellee getting gibbed doing that. other 2 are just tanked somewhere by another tank. we assign a couple of dps to each mob, once the snaplashers on 10% we burst them down.

25man this didnt work at all as no slowing effect >.< so we had a cat drood spam roots on the lasher all fight and had a group of mages burn it down, seemed kinda messy so i think we'll try the chains of ice spam next time.

aoe packs we aoe to low hp then single target down. we dont bother grouping - helps stop them dieing all at once aswell

Only done 1 elder up so cant comment on hard modes much, we left the roots guy up and honestly couldnt tell the difference, think an arms war was nailing them all with op juggernaught crits or something :S Gonna try 2 or 3 this week not sure yet, anyone give/link a decent run down of the extra abilities?
doteh

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon