Remove Advertisements

[10/25] Thorim's Arena

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] Thorim's Arena

Postby semp » Mon May 04, 2009 5:10 am

rogues + fan of knives = areana win. Our rogues pull up to 8k dps in the arena. On [25] we CC the pack of adds after the first mini boss, then move to the second mini boss and kill him and engage thorim. We then pick up that second set of adds when they get back into the arena.
semp

Postby Panzerdin » Mon May 04, 2009 5:20 am

Wouldn't it be easier to just kill them before engaging Thorim?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Frickit » Mon May 04, 2009 7:30 am

Rachmaninoff wrote:in 25 man is anyone having a problem with p2 and the chain lighting?? granted we were running melee heavy, but it was just kicking the shit out of us including the tanks.... and yes its was the chain lighting thing that he does...

what are you guys doing?

We got phase 1 under control finally and now we are having issues on P2. Im the third tank so when Thorim lands I have all remaining adds on me. Should I be going into melee range (we tend to lose at least one of the MT's so I want to be ready to step in) or should I be getting to the outside? Im thinking I should get into melee range and nuke the adds and get third on aggro for Thorim but I dont want to chain anyone. Couple times I just moved to the outside and tried not to be close to anyone, but the adds didnt die and I was unable to grab the boss when our tanks started dying.
Frickit

Postby fiorina » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 am

Rachmaninoff wrote:in 25 man is anyone having a problem with p2 and the chain lighting?? granted we were running melee heavy, but it was just kicking the shit out of us including the tanks.... and yes its was the chain lighting thing that he does...

what are you guys doing?

If I am not mistaken, chain lightning is on timer, so just spread before it's going to happen.

Note: His charge seems bugged now and it's not doing damage on most of the tries, so if you are eager to do this achievement easy mode, go ahead before the hotfix.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Mon May 04, 2009 11:06 am

Are you saying that the melee should disperse before he chains? I did not know it was on a timer, I thought it was random.
Frickit

Postby fiorina » Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Frickit wrote:Are you saying that the melee should disperse before he chains? I did not know it was on a timer, I thought it was random.

If you are running 6+ melees, yes, some have to run. In other cases, you can create groups by 2 people around him. Being chained by 1 guy is survivable.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Tue May 05, 2009 7:29 am

How many dps do you send in the gauntlet in 25-man ? I've read 7 but that seems like a lot...
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby ubaduck » Tue May 05, 2009 8:22 am

we had troubles with the arena our first night on 25 man we always got over run at about 3 mins in. We tried diffrent splits of faster gauntlet or more dps in a arena and didnt get much luck. On our second night we brought in a combat specced rogue with glyphs/talent points in all the Fan of Knives stuff and it did wonders, he was averging about 80 interupts an attmept from FOK spam. When we downed him we had all our melee and a few ranged dps standin on the inner circle with healers spread around the circle, we also had a prot warrior taunting the whirlwinder guys out side the circle where they were disarmed/singletargeted down. We had a few problems getting thorim down before he was gibbing our tanks, next week we will try a better tank switch rotation for cooldowns etc, out of curiosity what amount of stacks did he get to on your kills or how many stacks before he gibbed your tanks
ubaduck

Postby fiorina » Tue May 05, 2009 8:23 am

Culhag wrote:How many dps do you send in the gauntlet in 25-man ? I've read 7 but that seems like a lot...

Tanks and 2(max 3) DPS is enough for handling arena adds... soo
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 am

fiorina wrote:Tanks and 2(max 3) DPS is enough for handling arena adds... soo

Seriously ? 2 or 3 dps for the arena in 25-man ?
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue May 05, 2009 9:23 am

If he is, in fact, referring to the arena... he's certainly including imp FoK and some other tricks.

We got our first 25-man Thorim kill on Sunday. For the gauntlet, we used 1 tank (me), 3 healers, and 6 or 7 ranged, I think. I could be mistaken on that, however.

Since our kill was before the hotfix to the guard's knockdown, we had to sheep 1 of the 2 guards to prevent everyone being knocked down and me getting killed before heals could land.
Belloc

Postby Jaydin » Tue May 05, 2009 1:23 pm

We went in with 1 tank 2 mages 1 hunter 1 lock 1 ret pally and 2 healers iirc. everyone else on the dance floor - we group everyone stacking on top of my sorry butt right at the edge of the center circle. our DK tank then proceeds to pick up all the champions at the opposite end of that center circle, and maneuvers them just so that normal AOE clips them, while keeping the whirlwinds out of the raid. Just kept warning my aoe'ers not to start aoe until a second AFTER the mobs get to me...

I was doing the math earlier...it looks like paladins have some interesting potential here ^_^

unbalancing strike = -200 defense = 8% stats aka 8% chance to crit, miss, dodge, parry, block. so obviously thats why we have to switch tanks...200 defense = 8% chance to be crit. it also translates into a 32% increased chance to be hit. so theoretically, with redoubt procced and your originally being a bit over unhittable, theoretically...you could survive through the debuff without getting crit...

although that would be a lot of /praying
Jaydin

Postby fiorina » Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Culhag wrote:
fiorina wrote:Tanks and 2(max 3) DPS is enough for handling arena adds... soo

Seriously ? 2 or 3 dps for the arena in 25-man ?

Well, do a test and add DPS until you are set. It's doable with 3 DPS'ers + 2tanks(1 of them is going DPS mode) with almost any decent AoE classes. If you feel comfortable with 5, do it. Neither gauntlet or arena are the hard part of the fight.

Regarding paladin potential via special gearing. Honestly I would gear for EH and max defense to increase miss. If he will miss few US you are set :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Seloei » Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 am

Im guessing fiorina is refering to 10 man thorim.

Last week, we had 1 tank, 2 healers and 5 casters in the gauntlet. Reached him with ~1minute left. (22 man thorim). we don't cc the adds, but i just offtank them with the boss. If we wanted to try for hardmode, then we probably would have to.
Seloei

Postby Blar » Wed May 06, 2009 7:16 am

[25] What is the best kill order for the adds in the arena? Do you split up the dps or focus fire one mob at a time to the next? Can the 20% haste aura be provided to the raid if the warbringers are mind controlled?

Any comments and answers would be greatly appreciated.
Blar

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon