[10] Razorscale

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Razorscale

Postby Lanicus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:20 am

So as I've mentioned before I'm the raid leader and co-GM for a small casual raiding guild. As such, we tend to conquer content a bit slower than your average guild, esp. your average guild from these forums. We got into Ulduar for the first time on Friday night and as to be expected took down Flame Leviathan without an issue. We decided to try Razorscale next because I was told from a friend in a large raiding guild that he's easier than Ignus. We spent about an hour wiping on him, and decided to PUG a Naxx 25 afterwards.

I was a bit frustrated because it seemed like the real killer was the devouring flame. I never seemed to have an issue getting caught in DF and I was picking up adds the entire fight. It was pissing me off that our healers were having trouble keeping people up if they took a tick of DF. It seems to me that getting hit for 7k and then ticking for 6k is healable, as long as the player moves out immediately. That's not what I was getting from our strongest healer though. Granted, we're running Ulduar 10 with only 2 healers, but I feel that should be sufficient -- perhaps I'm mistaken.

What's the best way to deal with DF? I don't think I saw anyone simply standing in it. I can't figure out why it's so hard for the healers and I don't want to spend another hour wiping on Razorscale.
Lanicus

Re: [10] Razorscale

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:30 am

Have whoever will be best at dodging it stand directly under her and they'll be targeted preferentially. Apart from that, there's nothing you can do bar get better healers.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:31 am

Healers tend to get tunnel-vision. The only way to fix it is to either call out when you see the tiny blue orb falling near them or for your healers to look for it themselves.
Belloc

Postby dmok » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:52 am

Pick a ranged dps class who is good at dodging the flames (hunter is prefered here) to stand under Razorscale while he is up in the air.

Everybody else plays a game of "get away from <ranged_dps>".

From our series of attempts over the weekend, Razorscale targets whomever is closest to him with the blue flame attack. Our healers only had to worry about 1 person getting hit by it, and we made sure he knew to get away :)
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Spectrum » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm

For us it's been the damned fireballs. Apparently our healers and/or DPS will get hit twice by fireballs in the space of two seconds and just die. They're getting 9k hits followed by 8k hits. If they got hit by a chain lightning recently there's just nothing our clothies can do.

Of course I'm going entirely on the word of our ranged classes at this point, having only tanked it.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Spectrum wrote:For us it's been the damned fireballs. Apparently our healers and/or DPS will get hit twice by fireballs in the space of two seconds and just die. They're getting 9k hits followed by 8k hits. If they got hit by a chain lightning recently there's just nothing our clothies can do.

Of course I'm going entirely on the word of our ranged classes at this point, having only tanked it.

It's quite fortunate that the chain lightning range was reduced in a hotfix. I'm hoping you experienced these problems prior to that hotfix.
Belloc

Postby Maat » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

dmok wrote:Pick a ranged dps class who is good at dodging the flames (hunter is prefered here) to stand under Razorscale while he is up in the air.

Everybody else plays a game of "get away from <ranged_dps>".

From our series of attempts over the weekend, Razorscale targets whomever is closest to him with the blue flame attack. Our healers only had to worry about 1 person getting hit by it, and we made sure he knew to get away :)

That is what I'd heard from a friend who can stomach EJ forums, and it seemed to work that way in the beginning of the fight until the first landing. However, after that first landing, she (it is a she, right? it's Thorim's proto) started targeting people on the outside fighting adds as well.

It seems to just be a matter of spreading out, not playing in first-person mode, and looking over your head ~20 yards.
Maat

Postby dmok » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:47 pm

Maat wrote:That is what I'd heard from a friend who can stomach EJ forums, and it seemed to work that way in the beginning of the fight until the first landing. However, after that first landing, she (it is a she, right? it's Thorim's proto) started targeting people on the outside fighting adds as well.

It seems to just be a matter of spreading out, not playing in first-person mode, and looking over your head ~20 yards.

Good to know we weren't the only ones that noticed it. After the first landing, it is still not random. It still follows the same logic. The difference? She has moved.

At the start of the fight, she is positioned directly over the middle of the circle.
After the first landing, she is off in a corner.

Just move your <ranged_dps_dancer> over to that corner, and keep everyone else away.
There ain't no pirate like a Mead Hall Pirate

Mead Hall Pirates - The Scryers US
Dmor: 80 Prot Paladin | Dmok: 80 MM Hunter | Dmos: 80 Disc Priest | Dmoz: 80 Unholy DK
dmok

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:49 pm

Devouring flame targets the person closest to Razorscale. It also as a cast time and travel time.

Set Razorscale as your focus target. When he casts devouring flame with you as a target, move. You'll be 10 yards away (assuming you are backing up) by the time it lands. You might want to avoid ever standing anywhere near where razorscale will land in tethered phases.

Get used to having to watch multiple targets' cast bars while tanking. You'll need it for other Ulduar encounters.

Good luck in phase 2.
Steve

Postby Annadin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:33 am

So we downed Razorscale last night with no adds spawning whatsoever in Phase 1.

Just a couple of short periods of standing around, having our hunter practice dancing, watching the Expedition npcs fix the harpoons. Chained phases were normal, as was the sub-50% ground phase. Anyone else get this bug? I'd like to think they took one look at our lineup and decided to stay underground, in their mole machines, but somehow I don't think that was the cause! :D
Wittysigplaceholdertext.txt

Main: Annadin, Paladin
Spare Tankadin: Panadoll, Paladin
Other Alts: Jaybee, Priest - Samiam, Rogue - Shamiam, Shaman
Guild: Cotton Candy of Shadowsong Europe
Youtube: Channel
Annadin

Postby Conaan! » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:29 am

if you have problems with the healers getting out of the blue flames, just tell them to zoom out a bit, make sure their UI has the raid showing next to the center, and have them watch for two things, 1) blue flame on ground 2) pure blue ball coming at them

if they cant watch for that stuff then they need to go PVP to get some movement healing practice

EDIT: also, the chain lightning from the adds should never come, get some rogues with FoK and throwing spec, interrupts it all
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Lewid » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 am

on 10 man you might not always have a rogue, how is it best to deal with the adds in that case?
Lewid

Postby Conaan! » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am

Lewid wrote:on 10 man you might not always have a rogue, how is it best to deal with the adds in that case?

solid interrupters and aoe stuns (warrior shockwave / i believe dk attack also?)

the add damage is not that much, but try and get away with getting a rogue, it makes it soo much easier its not funny
Lore wrote:JEAPORDY: CREEPY BASEMENT EDITION
Conaan!

Postby Amran20 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 am

Honestly I'm sure, in the 2 resets that we've done, we've one shot Razorscale each time, and we didn't even touch the PTR, nor do we have 25 man Naxx gear. We've had 1 person die each attempt, once it was a Death Knight who got Blue Fire + WW, and the other it was a mage who got too close to a Whirler.

Basically we run with 2 Tankadins, and add pickup is fantastic and easy.

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby Maat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:31 am

dmok wrote:Good to know we weren't the only ones that noticed it. After the first landing, it is still not random. It still follows the same logic. The difference? She has moved.

At the start of the fight, she is positioned directly over the middle of the circle.
After the first landing, she is off in a corner.

Just move your <ranged_dps_dancer> over to that corner, and keep everyone else away.

zomg, you're right. I totally forgot that she moves in the air (gimme a break, I just tank adds :| )
Maat

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon