Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Hodir

Postby Dracora » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:28 am

How in the hell do you do this boss?

We do Hodir with:
1 DK Tank
3 Healers: 1 Restore shaman, 1 restore druid, 1 holy priest
6 DPS: 2 Ret pallies, 1 fury war, 1 DPS DK, 1 Mage, 1 Warlock

After the first Flash Freeze or whatever our healers start dropping or if they don't, the tank takes so much freakin damage from the Frost attack thing that he dies. The tank is a DK named Soran on Spinebreaker (feel free to look him up) and he went so far out of his way to spec half blood and half unholy to get the maximum amount of CDs. For me, I go Ret on this fight.

After the Frost brand or whatever, our tank takes so much incoming damage that myself and other ret pally were to use Blessing of Sacrifice. The problem is that him and I both use SoB and end up dying if we don't bubble. Not to mention he has 8mil health. Even if we got the Icicles down and no one died, we can't seem to keep our tank alive.

Tips?
Last edited by Dracora on Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who are strong have to be right."
~ Wufei Chang
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Spinebreaker&n=Dracora
Dracora

Re: Hodir 10 Man

Postby Falibard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:48 am

Hmm I tanked him last night with and didn't really have an issue with Frozen Blows. He just needs to make sure he's saving IBF and AMS for Frozen Blows. First time he cast it I use IBF and it lasts for the duration, the second time you may need a few seconds until IBF is up again, so use AMS to bridge the gap, the third time I used Vampiric Blood which got me to about 50k hp and just ate the hits (I'm assuming WotN helped me a couple times throughout the fight). Since he's a Frost tank my guess is that he should invest some points in Acclimation for bigger resists?

Disc priests are kinda OP for tank healing this fight, that might be the easier fix. I tanked this on my paladin as well, with no FrR and had no problems.

Armory is a little buggy for my spec, but here's a link if it helps: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&cn=Faligard&gn=Insignia. He's geared as well or better than my DK.
Falibard

Postby Chunes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:40 am

was your MT in frost resist?

I tanked hodir the other night in the three crafted pieces of FR + FR totem and the fight was simple once people stopped dying to stupid environmental damage.

Also, are you releasing the npc's from their iceblocks? We made a point to always keep the one that buffs haste active at the very least.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:34 am

First of all, use an off-tank wearing Frost Resist. With aura, chest, and belt, I had about 330 FR. Frozen blows was weak on me. When the MT tried to take it, it destroyed him.

Aside from that, make sure your healers are getting the haste buff (from the light) and that your ranged are by the fires.
Belloc

Postby Dracora » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:47 am

Belloc wrote:First of all, use an off-tank wearing Frost Resist. With aura, chest, and belt, I had about 330 FR. Frozen blows was weak on me. When the MT tried to take it, it destroyed him.

Aside from that, make sure your healers are getting the haste buff (from the light) and that your ranged are by the fires.

We are using no Frost Resist gear, just my FrR aura.

I've noticed that our healers and ranged dps very rarely go into the light beams for the haste buff. I'll see if I can get our healer to go discipline.

Chunes wrote:Also, are you releasing the npc's from their iceblocks? We made a point to always keep the one that buffs haste active at the very least

Yes, we make sure we free all of them.

Our DK tank is Frost for his 1st spec, his 2nd spec is the one for Hodir specifically. IBF on the first one, AMS should be 2nd, but instead the raid leaders are having myself and the other Ret Pally use Blessing of Sacrifice. We haven't got far enough for him to use Rune tap or Vampiric Blood or AMZ.
~ Wufei Chang
Dracora

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:56 am

After our kill, one of our healers made a point to mention that healing became much better when he started using the lights.

I still recommend using a Frost Resist OT, though. The fight will take a bit longer, but it's much more controlled.
Belloc

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:00 pm

^

Have to agree with this. Unless you're trying to do his timed achievements, there's no point not having an FR tank on this fight, as it makes it so much simpler.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Falibard » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:05 pm

I'm just puzzled. :?

I've tanked this on two different toons with only FrR aura and it really wasn't a big deal. It was an easy kill on my pally and would have been on the DK too if people would just move instead of eating the ice things falling from the ceiling. Maybe my healers brought their A game.
Falibard

Postby Dracora » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:10 pm

Belloc wrote:After our kill, one of our healers made a point to mention that healing became much better when he started using the lights.

I still recommend using a Frost Resist OT, though. The fight will take a bit longer, but it's much more controlled.

Why not have one FrR tank and have the other DPS? The fight seems more like endurance than anything.
~ Wufei Chang
Dracora

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:21 pm

If he can tank his normal sections in FrR gear go for it. Two tanks is the most stable, which is what this fight is about.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby Chunes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Dracora wrote:
Belloc wrote:After our kill, one of our healers made a point to mention that healing became much better when he started using the lights.

Why not have one FrR tank and have the other DPS? The fight seems more like endurance than anything.

I was thinking the same thing.

Survivability on the FrR tank is a non-issue and even in FrR gear, my threat gen was far beyond what my DPS could output.
Chunes

Postby majorwoo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Agreed. We tried him with me tossing on my holy spec/gear and our bear in frost just tanking both. Gave that like 2-3 shots and when I put my tank gear back on and we taunted back and forth we downed him easily.
Despite all my rage, I am still just a Paladin Tank.
majorwoo

Postby Ziggi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:03 pm

without FrR it's a very RNG fight. I used my trinket and didn't get touched one Frost blows sessions, used my bubble Wall the next one and made it through, then used the dodge trinket the third time and he shoved my face into the floor. with FrR aura up he was still hitting me for ~20k. I'm getting some of the frost gear tonight and shouldn't be a big deal after that. I don't see a reason i can't tank him the entire time as long as i've got 540 def.
Ziggi - Relentless - Shattered Hand
Ziggtastic - 80 Tankadin
Ziggi

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Solo tanking this in Frost Resist gear adds another problem to the fight: Threat.

With the crit, haste, and damage buffs spreading around, certain players will find themselves putting out a TON of threat. Sure, most of us have threat dumps, but it's still frustrating and there are some classes that just can't do anything about it.

Duo-tank it for now and switch it up once you've gotten more gear.
Belloc

Postby Aubade » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

I solo-tanked this last night wearing only the FR chest and belt + aura.

We used 3 healers and 7 DPS, (had OT go boomking)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Next

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon