[10/25]XT Raid Help

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10/25]XT Raid Help

Postby mconeone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:46 am

READ THE ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT POSTING. --Guillex

We wiped for 4 hours last night. Does anyone have any advice? The lowest we got was around 10% before the enrage. Although we had around 5 people dead by the third heart each time we got there, I really think it might be a DPS issue. Here's the WWS:

http://wowwebstats.com/ekgr23pgxedcy

We were tanking XT in the middle of the room. We spread out 4 groups around the boss, and I OT'd all the pummelers.
mconeone

Re: XT Raid Help

Postby Panzerdin » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:51 am

DPS is fine, I'd say either failure to burn the heart properly (the best method is just to Bloodlust and ignore all non-scrapbots while you do it) or deaths is what's causing you problems. You should definitely be able to kill him with that DPS.

Did you let any scrapbots through?
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby mconeone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 am

Yeah, there were a couple that made it through. The hardest part is to balance burning the heart vs. killing the scrapbots. Any tips to maximize dps on the heart phase?
mconeone

Postby mirkodeluxe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:08 am

We had our first kill yesterday after a few progressive tries and some enrage wipes.

From my viewpoint it is all about dpstime and handling the small adds.

MT on XT 5-10 yards from the center of the stairs and me and a feral tanking 2 pummelers each.

We put the melee on the left leg in a bunch so that melee that got the light bomb could move to the other leg and still dps until the bomb expired. We also tried to make sure no one with gravity bomb went out of reach of the healers, essentially preferring they sucked a few people in rather than dying since every person counts.

we start by nuking as hard as possible down to 75% to avoid tantrum, after that we blow CDs on the heart to get it down as far as possible. Small adds need to be slowed, rooted, stunned etc for ranged and melee to nuke them down. Getting these down is essential as you cant have him consuming bots and healing himself. Totally ignore pummelers.
Maybe we were lucky with the timing of the adds, but we didnt get any when the heart was out I iirc.
I tried positioning myself so that my hammer of cleave and consecration also hit the boss, while trying to get a few hits in on him at times since his hitbox is fairly big.

Im a bit lazy, so I havent analyzed your WWS much. But why only 1 offtank?
EDIT: We also had a fair amount of druids for CR.. so that also helped.

Heres our WWS from yesterday: http://wowwebstats.com/w4ytmwmbqr5le?s=415116-484191
mirkodeluxe

Postby mconeone » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 am

In BV gear, I can OT 4 without a problem. We have our feral tank in dps spec/gear who can grab the last 2. I can take 6 for a bit if I have to.
mconeone

Postby Chunes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 am

regarding heart damage:

have enough melee on the heart to burn it at least 50% each time it pops out. Any less and you run the risk of excessive time windows for tantrum to occur.

As for managing scrapbots:

we positioned our MT (me) at the top of the stairs behind where XT stand intially. This gives the bots that spawn in the back a REALLY long way to go in order to reach XT and it also provides a bottleneck of sorts for the closer spawn points provided you can get XT far enough up on the stairs (w/o LoS'ing the MT healers).

With this setup, you can put your weaker AoE on the back piles and your stronger AoE can focus on the front piles. Also remember that all roots/snares work on the bot adds, so nova, freezing trap (aoe slow trap if i got the name wrong), earthbind etc etc. all will help keep the adds locked down.
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:41 am

We assigned two ranged to watch each corner. We only had 6 ranged however (omg, the horror on Emalon), so we put 2-3 melee on the remaining corner.

Adds don't spawn immediately, nor do they spawn at the same time for each corner. Corner groups need to be watching for the cue (pink/purple bubble explosion at the corner) before switching to add duty.

Positioning can go a long way, as well. We ended up tanking him on the stairs. He's got a huge hitbox, as far as I can tell, so you should be able to have melee able to still DPS while affected with light bombs. What I'm thinking is have melee positioned at max range to the right of the boss. If they get hit with a light bomb, run to the far left. This should allow melee to continue DPSing the boss while not destroying the rest of the raid. I got this idea from seeing the MT get targeted for light bomb, but not doing any damage to the melee.

This fight really shows if your DPS are up to the task. In my offspec set (7 iLevel 200 epics), I was outdpsing most of the 25-man raid. Yeah, no one bothered to learn how to play in 3.1.
Belloc

Postby pedal2000 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:49 pm

Positioning wise, do you guys move UP the stairwell, or just where he is at the start of the fight?
pedal2000

Postby Belloc » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 am

On 10-man, we tanked him in the middle of the group with no issue.

On 25-man, we found more success (not a kill, but we actually survived a while) with him near/at the top of the stairs. Unless he is positioned perfectly, adds will walk through the sides of the stairs, so you have to watch out for that.

It really just depends on how skilled your raid is with healing and dealing with adds. We'd have people frequently dying from bombs while we were spread out, but not nearly as much when we were all on the stairs.
Belloc

Re: [10/25]XT Raid Help

Postby Jasari » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:26 am

In 10man, we found it easiest to just use a single tank. I just picked up all the adds when they got close and our ret pally/dk were ready to taunt any that were out of range for me so that I could pick them up when they got closer. As a shield tank, the adds hardly deal any damage until you have so many that you start running out of HS charges. By then the fights almost over though and I just blew bubble wall and a guardian spirit that last few %.
Jasari

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon