Remove Advertisements

[10/25] How To: Ulduar

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10/25] How To: Ulduar

Postby inthedrops » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:41 am

PsiVen wrote:A few quite important notes from our kill tonight:

Tanks are responsible for the Crusher debuffs, but for max DPS they should not be tanking them and in fact should never get hit. Assuming you are using 2 full tanks, using a paladin to stun corrupters most of the time is useful as well. What you do as a tank is run in while it's channeling, hit it once and run out (really you never stop moving). You won't get hit, even if it has 99 stacks if you're fast enough. The melee hitbox is only as big as the black circle under it. It'll recast, don't go in until it's channeling again. Make sure the tanks don't do this to the same tentacle at once, because the second one will get meleed and one-shot if it's the DPS target.

I need some help. I'm confused. When the crushers are channeling, I am in there hitting it. I expect it to stop channeling but it doesn't. I guess what's really going on is it only does the damage reduction while channeling AND while there's no one tanking it in melee range (which removes the aura buff). If he's casting then the aura will eventually get put back up so the tank will need to watch for the aura and run in and whack it again. Is this correct?

It's easy to do but I think I greatly misunderstood the ability. I'll check my combat logs later tonight if I can find some time.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:57 am

Lusisia, those are made of Win. :D Thanks! May I ninja them for my guild forum?

Also, for Hodir ... As the frost resistance tank, how much frost resistance should I be stacking? Is it worth putting anything other than defense/resilience gems in them? (I'd rather NOT do this, but will if necessary.)
Kelaan

Postby Jasari » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:11 am

Kelaan wrote:Lusisia, those are made of Win. :D Thanks! May I ninja them for my guild forum?

Also, for Hodir ... As the frost resistance tank, how much frost resistance should I be stacking? Is it worth putting anything other than defense/resilience gems in them? (I'd rather NOT do this, but will if necessary.)

I wear the 3 BS pieces + the JC ring. Everything is socketed for purely for defense except the ring which has a dodge/stam gem because I ran out of yellow gems at the time.
Jasari

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:04 pm

Thanks. :-) I'm not sure where I'll get the extra defense in some slots, but I will see what I can juggle.
Kelaan

Postby Jasari » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:23 pm

Kelaan wrote:Thanks. :-) I'm not sure where I'll get the extra defense in some slots, but I will see what I can juggle.

The trinket from Thaddius 10man helps a whole lot.
Jasari

Postby lusisia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:37 pm

Kelaan wrote:Lusisia, those are made of Win. :D Thanks! May I ninja them for my guild forum?

I'll have to ask the original author ;) Credit on those is Brutish of Shandris. We'll see what she says.

My understanding that two bits of FR gear + an aura should be enough to take the bite off.
"then somehow people manage not to see the forty fucking foot tall of fucking fiery flames of fucking doom ... and we wipe." - Isolfr
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen
lusisia
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Jasari wrote:The trinket from Thaddius 10man helps a whole lot.

WTB. :(

edit: Swapping out my sonic booster trinket (81 stam) for the defense WOULD be better than gemming def (or resilience?) all through the resist pieces would net me more def+stam, I believe. Good call, thanks.
Kelaan

Postby Frickit » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:07 am

Jasari wrote:

I wear the 3 BS pieces + the JC ring. Everything is socketed for purely for defense except the ring which has a dodge/stam gem because I ran out of yellow gems at the time.

Edit: I got everything except the chest so far. I figure we're gonna need it for the next tier, and it was cheap. Was still curious if we needed any pieces for the 10 man.
Last edited by Frickit on Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frickit

Postby inthedrops » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:55 am

I answered my own question by looking at some vidoes I took. Everything people (like PsiVen) are saying about the Crushers is correct, it just wasn't clear to me as I had some invalid assumptions.

The diminishing power has a 6 second cast time. Put as simply as I can, if a Crusher is casting that then it doesn't currently have the aura and you don't need to be in melee. As soon as the 6 seconds is up run in and swing him once to reset the aura and then get back out. There's nothing else to it.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby inthedrops » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:40 pm

By the way, I offer to the community two movies of Yogg Phase 1 (25 man). For me, this is the funnest thing to tank in the game at the moment so I don't even mind wiping :)

Most videos don't show all the lessons learned along the way. I have a blooper video showing tons of mistakes and then I have a second video showing what it looks like with no mistakes. There are many ways to handle the adds, find the way that works for your tanks. But I think these mistakes will be universal regardless of how you handle the adds.

Yogg Phase 1 Blooper Reel
Yogg Phase 1 Done Right

Our basic strat is that the tanks alternate taking adds to the center. Melee beats it down until it gets low while ranged get into position ahead of time to ensure they can kill it quickly when it gets to Sara. The key to making this work is your ranged. If they aren't in a good spot ahead of time (usually due to not anticipating cloud movement well) the timing goes to hell and tanks spend a lot more energy trying to make up for it.
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby mclem » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:41 am

Panzerdin wrote:The Assembly of Iron:
There are three bosses for this, and you can tank any one of them. The most unpleasant is Steelbreaker, courtesy of his Fusion Punch, which hits for up to 35k on Heroic and leaves a very nasty DoT effect to boot.

Possibly thanks to the nerfs, possibly thanks to experience, possibly thanks to *finally* recruiting a shaman we got through XT and Razorscale on day 1 this week whereas last time it took us the full week to make the breakthrough kill, so we moved on to have a look at this as a quick bonus thing before the end of the raid.

Due to all the talk about Steelbreaker's DoT being cleansable and so suiting a pally tank, I assigned myself to Steelbreaker, but I was somewhat surprised by the fusion punch: 38k damage and that was only because I happened to resist ~=6k:

http://wowwebstats.com/nuuqt1n4zjpxs?s= ... dth=377394

Has this been buffed - and so does the OP need the numbers updating - or might I have been doing something wrong? I don't *think* there were any runes of power in play at the time. It *was* the natural end of the raid and I was rather tired, so a slipup is quite possible.

(Also, WWS seems to have played up a bit; I appear to have died twice. That *isn't* accurate!)
mclem

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 am

mclem wrote:Due to all the talk about Steelbreaker's DoT being cleansable and so suiting a pally tank, I assigned myself to Steelbreaker, but I was somewhat surprised by the fusion punch: 38k damage and that was only because I happened to resist ~=6k:

http://wowwebstats.com/nuuqt1n4zjpxs?s= ... dth=377394

Has this been buffed - and so does the OP need the numbers updating - or might I have been doing something wrong? I don't *think* there were any runes of power in play at the time. It *was* the natural end of the raid and I was rather tired, so a slipup is quite possible.

(Also, WWS seems to have played up a bit; I appear to have died twice. That *isn't* accurate!)

Rune of Power looks like the culprit to me.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 am

Wowhead says 35k, Wowwiki says 35k, WoR says 35k. The figure is accurate.
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

Postby mclem » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:48 am

Pure inexperience, then; sorry, and thankyou.

One thing I'm a bit thrown by - Fusion punch has a 3 second cast time. That Rune of Power appears to have been created a little over 2 seconds before the Fusion punch occurred. Can Steelbreaker be moved while he's casting? I was focussing so much on being ready to cleanse I missed that other part.
mclem

Postby Panzerdin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:19 am

No, he can't. Probably best just to Bubblewall it, shouldn't happen twice.

Also, I've finally finished bloody Thorim. /happy
Panzerdin

Location: On a picket line, protesting against the changes to Maintankadin

PreviousNext

Return to T8: Ulduar / Emalon